Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Door/Hinge alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door/Hinge alignment

My new junkyard door needs to be shimmed out a little and up some.
I belive the body post for mounting hinges has been turned in at the front slightly, from the over-opening of the original door.(crumpled the sheet metal)
Can this be solved with washers to shim, or should I try moving the unibody with an old hinge and come-along?
Thanks for the other response Andy.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Are you sure it's the door? Have you checked the alignment of the fender? If you loosen all the upper fender bolts, you'll find that you can slide the fender in/out from the frame. I'm betting that the fender is too far "in" towards the frame, which makes the door look like it's too far "out".

Keep in mind that by loosening/readjusting the fender, that the hood hinge bolts to 3 of the upper fender bolts. This means you might mess up the alignment of the hood to the fenders. No biggie. When the fender's "perfect", tighten down (not too tight!!!!! The upper fender bolts go into sheetmetal shims, not real nuts) all the upper fender bolts EXCEPT those that go for the hood hinge. Make those hood hinge bolts slightly tight (so the hinge doesn't flop around). Then play with opening/closing the hood until you get the alignment right. When the hood is correct, tighten the hoodhinge bolts all the way.

Also check the lower fender-to-body bolt. It's between the bottom of the door and the rear of the front wheel. Sometimes, people try to jack the car up using this bolt, and it folds under, and messes up the fender alignment. This might be why the door seems like it needs to come up a bit.

As you've probably found out, the mounting bolts for the door have a bit of adjustment in 'em.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it's the door, it is in too far and scrapes at the bottom.
There is a little adjustmemt ,but not enough. My backing up incident with the door not closed fully messed up the door whithout hurting the fender.