Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Would you feel robbed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 07:07 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
Would you feel robbed?

Would you feel robbed or see anything fundamentally wrong if the next SS camaro came SuperCharged from the factory ?

The basis of this question is fords plans on releasing the next Cobra's SC'd stock. I could give a rats a$$ because its a ford, but what if such an option was available on SS's, would you consider it ?

I am of the opinion that it would suck basically. I think ford is giving up in a sense. They have never been one for gargantuan motors in sports cars, but I am inclined to believe that more could be done to the engine before power adders are considered. Saleens, Roush's, Steeda's and all that are a different story as they are tuners.. This Cobra however seems kinda b*tch made to me. I don't believe I would want such an option on a SS. Ultimately im sure we would all want a Supercharger on our third gens. ( Who wouldnt?) But myself personally, i'd have a greater sense of achievement if I built the car up before going that route. I suppose what I am trying to understand is.. " Is it as much fun buying a race car, as it would be building one? "

( This does not apply to all care IMO however. The Pontiac GTP is supercharged stock, yet done with driving enjoyment in mind. The GTP is not a sports car, nor muscle car... hence in my mind, it does not apply to this idea) ...

All opinions are welcomed...
Old 06-18-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope
If it is RWD, supercharged (with all that silly
plumbing sorted by large team of engineering pukes)
with a six speed, I'll buy one in a minute

Heck it'll have a blinkin warantee...
Old 06-20-2002, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I pretty well agree with you. I kind of feel that Ford fell short and that they can't build an engine worth a crap..so they put power adders on just to match the output GM has on the F-Body. They finally surpassed the F-Body in power, but did they really do it or did the supercharger do it. I am not one for power adders from the factory. I really dislike most turbo's that come straight from the factory. (Granted the Turbo T/A's are very sweet, I honestly don't think I would want one, because of this reason.) I think an engine should come from the factory with nothing more than an engine, NO POWER ADDERS. This is what I think, oh well.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird
Engine: 408 SBC
Transmission: T5
Re: Would you feel robbed?

Originally posted by omnipotentgoku
Would you feel robbed or see anything fundamentally wrong if the next SS camaro came SuperCharged from the factory ?
I don't think you have to worry about that problem - after this year, there will be no more F-body cars offered by GM.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:17 AM
TGO Supporter

Yes, but their will be again

Their is too much of a following for F-bodies for GM to let them just die. Guaranteed, their will not be a shortage of F-Bodies. I doubt GM would do anything that drastic though ( power adders). They've more to work with in this engine and if all else fails.. water down a vette and call it an IROC
Old 06-20-2002, 02:18 AM
TGO Supporter

I'd be afraid to drive it

Having had 2 fords, I would be afraid to drive something that " powerful " constructed by ford....
Old 06-20-2002, 07:38 AM
RCR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '84 Fiero ('01 GA interior)
Engine: '96 4.0 Aurora
Transmission: '96 4T80E
All opinions are welcomed...
Not on this forum...