Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need advice on serious problem: My car is dying of cancer!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '03 S-10/ '87 Trans Am
Engine: mild 350
Transmission: TH350
Need advice on serious problem: My car is dying of cancer!

I just got back from the body shop to get an estimate to replace my floorpan (driver's side). The guy I talked to said it had eaten the firewall too and said they woulden't touch it becouse it could collapse. He was nice about it and that his 82 'bird was like that too and he got a new shell and swamped everthing over. I have a couple options here:

1. Sell my pride and joy to an unknowing buyer. The problems with this are that my exterior is shot and I was going to replace all the panels and paint it. So even though my engine and interior is perfect I'd get nothing for it. The other problem is that I've put a lot of time and money in this and don't want to see it go.

2. Keep the car and try to find a Camaro with a Mint exterior/underbody, but blown engine/tranny and stripped interior. The problem with this is that finding one is near impossible, but would be the option I'd like to go with so I could keep my interior/engine/tranny.

Are there any more options? I am about to go Nuckin' Futz. I just spilled my shake from White Castle on my driver's seat too! Not a good day to say the least. Now I'm going to install some Car Audio at work where I'm sure my day will get better...
Old 06-12-2002, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks.... I would say keep your eye out for a good body to swap your stuff into. It isn't as impossible as it sounds. There are a lot of people who get into a project and run out of money. You'll never get what you want selling it and you open yourself up to lawsuits if you don't disclose the condition of the car. Just my .02, good luck!
Old 06-12-2002, 03:46 PM

If you have alot of pride and joy in it, keep your eyes open, deals pop up all over the place, keep checking EBAY and junk yards
Aj
Old 06-12-2002, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I'd say to find another bodyshop. Anything can be welded up! I'd say you should go and find a junkyard car, and cut that section of the firewall out. Then, weld the new section of the firewall in, and weld a patch panel for the floor in. Problem solved. I don't quite see how the car would collapse; the whole car was welded together at some point from the factory. How big is the rust spot on the firewall? 12 inches long and 2 inches tall? 40 inches long and 2 feet tall? I think it just sounds like they don't want to work on it.

Dont' forget, you can do as I did, buy a MIG welder from Home Depot, buy a gas bottle, and start replacing panels. (Actually, first, buy the Haynes Welding Techbook from an auto store to tell you your options & learn about welding.) See the message about the quarter panel for some shocking pictures.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:45 PM

Car: '03 S-10/ '87 Trans Am
Engine: mild 350
Transmission: TH350
Thanks for the replyies! If I did get the car fixed it'd cost quite a bit, plus I'd still need to replace almost ever panel on the outside and get paint. I'm trying to think of the cheapest thing to do. Buying a car with a nice exterior and a blown interior/stripped tranny should not run more than $1250. Then I can still sell the parts I don't swamp out of my 84 Z28 and make some money. I have close to $2000 in the bank with will cover the new car and $750 in misc. parts that I will need.

To get my car fixed now, it'd cost over $1000 to get it welded, say $400 for parts (low), and $1500 in paint. That is almost $1000 over what I have now with no more money.

I can't find any cars around here in Auto trader, Tradin' Times, Thirdgen Classifides, or eBay.

-Matt