Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Door and Fender Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door and Fender Compatibility?

Hey guy's, nice site! I usually spend most of my time over at nastyz28.com, but recently acquired an 88 sport coupe V6 and was told to ask some questions over here.

Anyhow, the car I bought was involved in an accident and needs a drivers door and drivers fender. Question is, what year third gen doors and fenders will fit? My car has the ground efx and drilling holes in a new door or fender is not a problem because the efx I have are not damaged.

Also, my car has power windows and locks, so do I need to buy a door that has those or can I make a door that has crank windows and standard locks accept my power accessories? Thanks alot!

PS>If anyone is close to the Philadelphia area and has these parts cheap, shoot me an e-mail. I am going to check out local junkyards this week.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 views and no replies yet?! I know you guys know this! Please Help!!! :hail:
Old 06-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Well, I can respond.

82-92 doors/fenders will fit. (Just don't put a Firebird fender on your Z. The doors are the same, though).

Doors of the Same Year are completely compatible. Doors from different years might not have the same internals, BUT, complete internals from one door will fit into another door. Okay, here's the scoop:

I put '84 doors on my '86 car. The '84 doors were manual windows, I had power windows. (I don't have, nor do I want, power locks.) I put my power window regulators into the '84 doors. Problem was, the '84 weatherstripping was totally shot to hell; I wanted to put my weatherstripping on. Okay, no problem, right?

Well, the '84 car had different internals than the '86 door. Know the black triangle between the window and a-pillar (windshield pillar)? Well, on the '84 door, that black triangular fill panel is also the front channel for the window. On the '86 door, the fill panel is separate, and can be removed by itself.

This meant that I couldn't put my good triangular fill panel onto the '84 door, because by removing the '84's fill panel, I lost my front window channel. I had to remove ALL the channels from both doors, and put the channels from the '86 door into the '84 door. Pain In The Butt.

I attached the regulator to the window with stubby little bolts, with lockwashers, some Loctite Red on the threads, and a nut. I bought the bolts so they filled the entire hole that the rivets used to fill. (A regular Home Depot rivet is skinny.)

I think after '84, the doors all became the same, with my '86 style internals. So you should be fine. But; if you get an '84 door with crappy weatherstripping...