Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

help!!! wih fibreglass hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 camaro berlinetta
help!!! wih fibreglass hood

hi all im getting the car ready for a silver paintjob but the tip of my hood broke off its a fibre glass hood ..any suggestions on how to repair it?? id hate to put back on a steel hood
Old 05-09-2002, 09:51 PM

Do you still have the corner? What i would do if you have the corner is use a mixing stick and hot glue it to the correct spot. then mix up resin and mat and fill the void. Then use a bondo resin mix to finish the surface prep. If you don't have the corner then it is gonna have to all be done by eye. My hood has had both corners busted and half way back has a chunk missing from the underside support. Needless to say I too am gonna be doing some glass work to get it perfect again. Hope this helps
Old 05-12-2002, 10:53 PM

Car: 84 camaro berlinetta
sorry i didnt get back to this quicker i was away but no i dont have the tip any more ...but i can just smack some glass bondo on and shape it??? will that stay on??? it would suck to get the car painted only to have the tip of the nose break off...
thanx for the help
:hail: :hail:
Old 05-12-2002, 11:03 PM

Well I would clean the surface real good and get the rough shape out of fiberglass mat layered with resin. After it hardens I would sand it down to the correct shape minus a hair using very coarse paper. Then use a bondo/resin mix to do the top coat/ perfection. Easier said then done but I have done it and will be doing it with my 83 L69 hood one of these years when I reach the front of the car
Old 05-13-2002, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 Indy 500 Pace Car
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350
I cracked a chunk out of my hood a few years back after ramming it into an Exploder (oops). If I remember correctly we got it back together with duraglass- a sort of "fiberglass bondo" Sanded it down and repainted and the hood is doing fine. Just remember where the patch is and go easy on it if at all possible.

Oooo, re-read post. How big a is the break? If its a significant size you might be screwed. And thats pretty much the worst place for it. Id at least give it a shot though.

Last edited by PaceCarChris; 05-13-2002 at 11:33 PM.