Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Friends Z28 got keyed, will insurance pay for a paintjob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: stock L03
Transmission: auto
Friends Z28 got keyed, will insurance pay for a paintjob?

A friend of mine just got his car keyed 2 days ago. It's a shame because it is a nice black 84 Z28. It's not a bad looking car but only books at 4,000 dollars and a new paint job could be 5,000+ dollars. They got everything on this car. All the body panels are totally screwed. They even wrote ******* really big on his hood. Thank *** he is fully covered so insurace should pay but will they still pay for a paintjob even if it will cost more than the car is worth? He is afraid to turn in estimates for more than the car is even worth for fear they will say find another car for 4 thousand or will only pay for 4 thousand. A police report has been filed and pictures taken. Does anybody know what will happen if the cost of a paintjob exceeds the value of the car?

One more thing. I am pissed off and scared because there was a typed note under the windshield that said something like "your car wont be the last". It is either some damn ***** coming after all the V8 cars or someone with a grudge. I am afraid my car may be next. They better pray police catch them before my friend does, he is pissed and I say he has a right to be.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:40 PM

"*******" you say.
I already know its a girl if that helps. If its metal deep then its a BUFF girl. I caught a girl who tried to key my car (not in the act) but was not strong enough to do real damage. So go down the old hoe list and start slappin some answers out of them.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I doubt an insurance company would hand out a $5k paint job. Or even half that much on an old car like that if it's original paint.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:23 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac
My friends eclipse got keyed. Insurance is paying for a whole new paint job.

Im sure his will too, I hope...
Old 04-07-2002, 09:57 PM

I talked to my friend today and it turns out he and his ex-g/f got into the day before so your probably right d_rtis. He said someone from the insurance company is supposed to come look at it tomorrow to take some pics and let him know what is going on. From the looks of it the scratches are not in the metal so just new paint should fix it. He is through Nationwide insurance, anyone had any experience with them and auto insurance? He is gonna wait to find out what the insurance company thinks it would cost before running out to get some estimates. Anyone else know what might happen?
Old 04-08-2002, 01:25 AM

Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
My car got scratched and dented a little bit, caught the guy in the act. He had Nationwide insurance didnt like them one bit. People need to watch what they are doin when opening their doors.You live in ohio, cool, me too.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 AM

nationwide insuranse just gave me over $2144 to fix my car some moron girl couldn't be patient and let traffic through in a parking lot
Old 04-08-2002, 07:37 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
No insurance company is going to give you anywhere near $5k for a paint job. A good paint job usually runs in the range of $1,200 to $1,500, not $5k.

But that aside, if the damages exceed 80% of the book value of the car, the vehicle is considered totalled and they give you the book value (minus the million deductions they'll find).
Old 04-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula / 09 G8
Engine: LS1 / LS3
Transmission: M6 / M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42 / 3:27
For my insurance company, if damages = 3/4 the value they total the car.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:36 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Originally posted by Omega
For my insurance company, if damages = 3/4 the value they total the car.
Which is 75% of the value. Close enough to 80%. It's definately going to vary slightly from one company to another.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula / 09 G8
Engine: LS1 / LS3
Transmission: M6 / M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42 / 3:27
Jim, I didn't see your post I agree, I am sure they could get away with 20% if they wanted to. Insurance can almost be considered legalized extorsion in NJ.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:31 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Hey guys, I'm an auto claims adjustor for American Express Insurance and I deal with this every day. One, you gotta remember to take out the deductible when you are talking about payout. Most deductibles run about $250 or $500 on comp claims. I hope he doesn't have a $1000 deductible! Anyway, the appraiser that is gonna look at his car will come up with the bare minimum for a paint lob, and won't apy a penny over it, the rest would be up to your friend. My guess is that they will come up with an appraisal for about $1500, subtract the deductible, and make their payout. It probably won't be a total loss because no one is gonna write an appraisal for $3000 on a paint job. Besides that, if they write the appraisal for a mom and pop body shop, but your friend wants a better paint job than that, then he will have to pay the difference. That might be his best bet to get the best paint job, have the insurance pay $1500 or so and have your friend pay another $1000 plus his deductible and have a really great job done. What the hell, then he gets a brand new paint job for $1000, not too bad!!
Old 04-08-2002, 02:36 PM

Talked to my friend again. Kelley Blue Book value on his car was something like $3000. $4 thousand was his guess...its a nice car but I knew that sounded a little high. He said his deductible is $500 and the insurance company guessed a new paint job at around $2000....just under 75% of the value. Does he now only get $1500 or will he see the entire $2000? Anybody know of a place in Ohio or a place with a good reputation that can repaint a whole car or all but the hatch and right front quarter panel for around $1500. My friend is looking for as nice as he can afford. He wants to paint it black again so they wont have to do the engine bay or under the hood or the front plastic fender thing. Luckily he has $500 bucks so he can go as high as $2000 if he has to.My friend is still sick about all this and I'm still scared my car is gonna get it next. It's kinda funny to see all of my friends run out to their car after school and check the entire thing over for a new scratch.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
That sux! My Brother had a note on his car one day. They didnt key it but the sprayed mustard all over the nice 2nt gen Camaro. The note said something like your car has more Vacuum leaks then a hover.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:52 PM

well, if the KBB value is aroud $3000, tha actual cash value (ACV) is probably around $2000-2500. Insurance companies use the ACV not the KBB. It may be worth more or less depending on miles, shape of the vehicle, extras on it (if he has reciepts) and things of that nature. If the insurance company is guessing $2000 for a paint job, that means pay out will be $1500 or so. So depending on the value of the vehicle he could be looking at a 60- 100% loss. It is probably very close to a total loss Tell your friend to find anything possible that could make the vehicle worth more, as well as try to get an estimate rather than working off the appraisers appriasal. Often times you can find an estime for cheaper than an appraisal will bw written for. If the insurance company deems it a total loss, your buddy will be on his own. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 04-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

i'm surprised they would give him that much for that year......

both my buddy and myself had 91's. he had AAA and they gave him 3500 when he had roughly 4000 in damage.

i had roughly 7000 in damage and they gave me 2200.

it's all about the insurance your with an like above the cash value of the car. i don't even bother looking at the kbb other than to get a basic idea.

but for that amount of money your friends getting he should have no problem getting a good job done.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
What about if my entire car happened to get keyed , actually it did on the driver's door, I could get a good paint job for just paying the deductible?
Attached Thumbnails Friends Z28 got keyed, will insurance pay for a paintjob?-dent.jpg  
Old 04-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
What your friend may want to do is ask his insuance company for a repair shop they work with. Usually the shop will do what it takes to paint the car well. If it is over the insurance's estimate, since its a shop they trust, they will usually pay the amount over. You also will have a better chance to force them to do the job right. No trash in the paint or runs. If they turn out bad paint jobs the insurance company may not send people to them anymore. Make the insurance company be the bully and demand a good paint job for the $.

Only reason I say this... I had someone key my door & rear fender. The insurance company paid me a fair price. I took it to a shop I thought I could trust. The car came back a mess. Not only did they paint the damaged areas, but they painted over the roof and to the other side fender. They taped over the pinstriping and emblems and painted around them. They had all kinds of trash in the paint. And it felt like sandpaper.

I took it back and they tried to buff it, but it meant they had to take off the emblems. Well in the process they tore off chunks of paint, which they tried to hide by placing the emblems over the damage. The bumps were now dips in the paint. I saw it when I picked up the car and said something. The owner got my invoice saw what I paid. Pulled out cash in the amount I paid. Gave it to me and said go else where from now on. I'm too **** picky.

Ok, so I went to the dealer. They said the other shop had caused $1200.00 worth of damage to the paint. It would have to be stripped and redone. That's why they sent me away. they knew what they did and didn't want to fix it.

I called the insurance company. They said it was my problem since I had chosen the shop. They said if I had gone to their shop, they would have gotten it fixed right for me. And if there was a problem they would have taken care of getting it fixed.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:36 PM

Good idea if you have that option. Where I work we won't reccomend a shop for liability reasons.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:49 PM

One other choice But not for this seeing you have allready reported it, If any damage happens to your car broken into theft, damage from stones tress etc, You should call your home owners/ renters insurance company. They will cover your car as long as it parked in the driveway. Your car insurance rate wont go up, home insurance wont go up as much as you car would if at all. Just another idea to keep in your head.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Redraif, sounds the gave you a Krock of $h!T deal if you ask me. They gave you money back and told you to get out of here? I would say thanx alot buddy for screwing up my car and yeah I'll be back. BACK WITH A LAYER!!! If they had done that they should of fixed it. Second thought, I wouldn't have taken the cash back. I would say "no you did this to the car so you are fixing it on your time and your cash" Body shops are keniveing and will try to get out of this at almost any cost. In the 30 years that my Dad worked in different shops I have seen and hear of alot of places like this. One short story was on this truck at service king that was sopose to be ready by noon. They didn't put the bumper on and the painter sprayed paint over a piece of duct tape. Some dude who didn't speak english saw it and got my Dad over there. He peeled back the tape and off came the paint all the way down to the primer. Now what is that about? These people should pay for thire mistakes.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 88firebird305
One other choice But not for this seeing you have allready reported it, If any damage happens to your car broken into theft, damage from stones tress etc, You should call your home owners/ renters insurance company. They will cover your car as long as it parked in the driveway. Your car insurance rate wont go up, home insurance wont go up as much as you car would if at all. Just another idea to keep in your head.
Only problem in most cases is a high dedutible on homeowners.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by redbird_400
Redraif, sounds the gave you a Krock of $h!T deal if you ask me. They gave you money back and told you to get out of here? I would say thanx alot buddy for screwing up my car and yeah I'll be back. BACK WITH A LAYER!!! If they had done that they should of fixed it. Second thought, I wouldn't have taken the cash back. I would say "no you did this to the car so you are fixing it on your time and your cash" Body shops are keniveing and will try to get out of this at almost any cost. In the 30 years that my Dad worked in different shops I have seen and hear of alot of places like this. One short story was on this truck at service king that was sopose to be ready by noon. They didn't put the bumper on and the painter sprayed paint over a piece of duct tape. Some dude who didn't speak english saw it and got my Dad over there. He peeled back the tape and off came the paint all the way down to the primer. Now what is that about? These people should pay for thire mistakes.
Yeah I got screwed, but my dad decided it was not worth the fight. Well now he's not around and I'm still stuck with the mess. Thats the part I hate the most about being a girl and having a clue. A guy can usually buck up and get something done. A girl does and shes a b****. And they trash your car worse. Sad part is they had done great work for us in the past. Thats why dad said to forget about it. I was going to let them do the repaint of the whole car in the next few years. Man did they mess up. But they don't care. Too much business and not enough good painters.

Heck I don't trust any of them anymore. The guy who is going to repaint the car now runs a paint training center. He can do it and it will only cost mw labor. He did the paint on the shaved places and the hood and it looks great.