Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

The body kit that i am getting, what do u think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The body kit that i am getting, what do u think?

Well, after spending some time trying to figure out how much it would be to do all custom body pieces for my car, i have finally decided what i am doing. I am going to buy the EVO 2 body kit for 8 grand. Since i am a senior in high school and live with my parents, i have no other use for my money other than my girlfriend(she always want something new) and my car. I figure that by this time next year, i will have enought to put the kit on, What do u guys think about the body kit. i really like the kit and i am also doing a V8 swap because i have half the amount that i need for it.Tell me your thoughts.thanks
Old 03-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Love it.

I love the kit. I have thought about going and rescuing a third gen from a salvage yard that has banged up body panels and putting the kit on it. With as much replacing that has to go on I would think all you need is a straight frame.
If you have the money to spend go for it. I plan on doing one eventually. Just make sure it is fast.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:18 PM

Old 03-25-2002, 05:36 PM

Though most of the replies that you will get will be negative, I happen to like the kit. The only thing I have against the kit, is that it changes the apperance of a thirdgen just a little too much. Its like you never even owned a Camaro/Firechicken. But if i had plenty of money and another thirdgen, I would probubly buy the kit too.

:lala:
Old 03-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Banned

I ike the EVO 2. I like the swing up doors...
Old 03-25-2002, 06:00 PM

There going to be negative b/cuz you are spending 8grand to ruin a perfectly good car. Why don't you (since you're so rich) put a strong v8 into the 'maro/bird. Then take the rest of your money and buy something that's already put together. You could even look into buying a COMPLETE kit car. It'll be a little more expensive but you'll have TWO cars one that will give you the kit look that you like and a real one

I'm known in my office as a Camaro lover and I have pictures of the Evoluzione' kits on my wallpaper and I haven't gotten any good comments from the non believers either. "ooh look a camaro pretending to be something it's not!"

When you look around on the board and see how expensive it is JUST to keep our cars clean and running w/ just a few upgrades you'll soon learn why that 8grand coulda been better spent.

peace
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by mudaholic

I second that opinion

If I can remember right a evo kinda looks like a supra right?
Old 03-25-2002, 08:30 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac
Put that $$ in a 350 and make it run 12's :lala:
Old 03-25-2002, 08:36 PM

I am getting it, And about putting th eV8 in it, I AM PUTTING A V8 IN, that is the money that i am useing to buy the kit with! I saved up 8 grand to do a LS6 conversion but after seeing the evo 2 kit, i really want that first. I will have engine next year when i save up enough again, but i am going to get it now, the evo 2 looks kinda like a lamborgini or a ferrari, thats why i want it. Now dont get me wrong, i like the look of our cars, but mine is getting more and more rust on it every time it rains and snows and i dont feel like spending 5 grand on a paintjob right now, i figure i will get the kit and than take the car to a friend who will do it for just the cost of materials.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z/00 GTP/05 VUE Redline
Engine: LB9 305/3800 SC/3.5 SOHC V-TEC
Transmission: A4/A4/A5
I like the body kit personally but would never take a perfectly nice thirdgen and do the conversion on it. I'd take one that needed serious body work and would go from there. You've got a nice car to begin with why ruin it? err..well why do THAT to it. Just my .02
Old 03-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ThirdGen Stoner
it changes the apperance of a thirdgen just a little too much. Its like you never even owned a Camaro/Firechicken.
Geez louise, that is entirely the point.

Originally posted by YRUSOSLO
I'm known in my office as a Camaro lover and I have pictures of the Evoluzione' kits on my wallpaper and I haven't gotten any good comments from the non believers either. "ooh look a camaro pretending to be something it's not!"

Nobody would say, "What the hell happened to this Camaro?" - if you didn't point out to them that it was put on a Camaro body. No way, no how. Besides, it is it really a surprise that non-believers don't like it?

Get it through your heads - it's NOT a Camaro or Firebird anymore. OKAY?! That's just the good, solid, reliable, cheap platform this body is put on; that's ALL.

If I had the money, I'd do it for the grins. After making sure that it had the cajones to back it up, I'd come out and pound the friggin smack out of all the "purists" driving around in their stock rides. During the summer I'd pull it into one of the shows and show it off - betcha I'd get WAY more looks than a stock thirdgen f-body.

It's YOUR money 1stGen - do what makes you happy. See you at the shows...

S.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:47 PM

Hey

Can I get the site please that has the body kits and stuff; i really wanna see what they look like.
:rockon:
Old 03-25-2002, 10:57 PM
Tas
Supreme Member

For 8gs Get a ratted out C4 vette and get the Callaway body kit with better than factory paint done in house by Callaway cars!!!! www.callawaycars.com
http://www.callawaycars.com/Corvette/aerobody.htm

This thing has been tested at 255MPH!!!

Old 03-25-2002, 11:19 PM

What does thr EVO 2 look like? any pictures
Old 03-25-2002, 11:37 PM

http://www.euroworksltd.com/EvoluzioneII/
Old 03-26-2002, 02:34 AM
Jza

Standard Evoluzione Topic Reply #2: It's not a body kit...

Body Kit (bŏ' dee kĭt') n. - A package of body panels, usually ground effects, running boards, and bumper covers, that are meant to enhance a car's external appearance. eg. Predator, Big-Mouth, GRM.

Kit Car (kĭt' kŏr) n. - A distinct vehicle built from a pre-assembled package on an existing mass-produced chassis or platform. eg. AC Cobra reproductions, Knight Industries Ferrari, Fiero Tesstrossa.

And some people here need to get over the idea that thirdgens are valuable or desirable in the automotive world in general. I happen to love thirdgens, but I'm not under the impression that it's "sacrilege" to build an entirely new vehicle on an existing platform that has an abundant aftermarket following for suspension and engine components. Not to knock Fiero guys, but I'd rather use an F car than a P car just because it's got a far better handling suspension even though it's comparatively nose-heavy. I also just like the larger size.

As for 1stgenracer: it may be 8g up front, but it's far from complete as is. Be prepared to spend up to 16g just getting it to the point where you can call it a real car. I kid you not.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:04 AM

why dont you buy a Toyota Supra and run low 9?
:sillylol:
Old 03-26-2002, 05:23 AM
Supreme Member

DUDE..... get a built 355 supercharged TPI set up and run 11's!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:43 AM
TGO Supporter
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Between the motor swap, the carnival ride body kit, and the value of the car itself, you could get yourself a friggin LS1 Camaro or a hell of a nice C4 Corvette. Instead you'll have a chopped up abortion of a car that will shatter the first time you misjudge a curb... and your insurance isn't going to pay for the body kit repairs, and once this company goes under (they always do), you'll NEVER be able to get replacement parts for it.

I've also read from people that built them that the whole rear clip is a lousy fit and requires a ton of custom fabrication. If you're not extremely talented with body work AND fiberglass work, it's going to be a hatchet job. Unless you pay to have the kit installed, in which case you're now in C5 territory for costs.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:14 AM

scauffiel wrote;

Nobody would say, "What the hell happened to this Camaro?" - if you didn't point out to them that it was put on a Camaro body. No way, no how. Besides, it is it really a surprise that non-believers don't like it?
-----------------------------------------

No, but if they were at a car show they would. The point is if you don't want a Camaro look buy another car.

scauffiel wrote;

Get it through your heads - it's NOT a Camaro or Firebird anymore. OKAY?! That's just the good, solid, reliable, cheap platform this body is put on; that's ALL.
------------------------------------------------------------

Reliable and cheap? HA only if you don't give a flyin' crud and just drive it until it rots and take it to the dump. I've put nearly 10 grand into mine and I haven't even started yet. Does it look "stock"? Hell yeah!!

scauffiel wrote;

If I had the money, I'd do it for the grins. After making sure that it had the cajones to back it up, I'd come out and pound the friggin smack out of all the "purists" driving around in their stock rides. During the summer I'd pull it into one of the shows and show it off - betcha I'd get WAY more looks than a stock thirdgen f-body.
-----------------------------------------------

What do you mean by pound? Don't forget that even the so called purists have different definitians as to what's pure. So if I have a pure stock RS 305 and you have a modded F-bod and you "pound" me ooooooh you big bully!

scauffiel wrote;
It's YOUR money 1stGen - do what makes you happy. See you at the shows...
------------------------------------

NO kidding just like its our opinions that he ASKED for in the first place. Like momma always said don't ask if you don't want to hear something you may not like.

S.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

SPEND THE MONEY ON YOUR ENGINE!!!!

YOU COULD HAVE A KICKASS BIGBLOCK FOR 8 GRAND, AND A T-56 BEHIND IT!!!!

OH MAN, I WISH I HAD 8 GRAND TO BLOW ON MY CAR!!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

8 gs and 12 or 11s????? WTF I think it is time for a BIGBLOCK 502 RAMJET (the slap a super on that )

The thing is that you will look like you run 11s but you will only be packn a V6?????????I call that Ricin'

Last edited by camaro6spd; 03-26-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:04 PM
Supreme Member

$8,000 on a car in highschool? Did I read that right? Apparently you've got college money well taken care of at this point. If not, I'd suggest putting it towards that. I'm not trying to bash your plans or anything, trying to get a feel for your situation. I mean, I'd love to have had that to put into my car back then (and still would today). Just make sure you're putting the money into the thing that is truly most important to you. That said, stick an LS1 or LS6 in there with the kit on it.....definately something to see
Old 03-26-2002, 01:27 PM

You've got to be kidding me
Old 03-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
I think the kit rocks... how ever, I wouldnt put it on either of my cars. What I would do is get another cheap thirdgen, and start on that.
Good luck with it!
Old 03-26-2002, 02:01 PM

Well, i never thought about that, if i mess some part up, i couldnt get another piece, thanks, o and about college, i practically have a full ride because of my wrestling so i am not worried about that, thanks alot because i guess that i will just get my engine firstbecause what if they do go under? i would be screwed,
Old 03-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Thanks scauffiel for setting the record straight. Don't give up on your plan 1stgenracer. The EVO II kit is a badass full body replacement. I plan to do the kit as well but I'm going to wait till I'm done with my engine (gonna do a single T76 turbocharged L98 rebuilt to 8.5:1 compression for boost) before I do the kit. I will be applying the kit to a 1991 Z28 and it will be a 2 year project. I like how the stock 3rd gen body looks but I also see the 3rd gen as an excellent platform to build a kit car. There are so many aftermarket parts for our cars its unbelieveable. The major reason I decided on that kit was because it lowers the weight of the car to 2860 pounds (full body fiberglass replacement). I also like the european style and wide body aspect of the rear (gonna be running 18x13.5 rear wheels with 325/40/zr18 rubber). The only thing I won't be doing with that kit is the roof scoops because I dont see them doing anything functional ... so in the end I'll have a stock body 1990 RS and a 1991 EVO II. I dont care if people don't know the EVO II is a Camaro. Most people will think its a european car anyway .. and thats the point .. I like european cars but I cant afford to buy one outright ... so I'll build one ... and I'll build one that runs 10's and tops out above 200 for under 30 grand.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Honestly, to do a kit like this, you would more than likely need to get show car/stated policy insurance. It can be pricey, or at the very least, very restrictive.
I was denied coverage because I did not have another car to make my daily driver that was a 1992 or newer. They wanted to know that your daily driver was reliable, so you would not take the show car out to work when you normal car had an issue.
It did not matter that I had 3 other cars to chose from with low milege, just that they were too old.
So I have to find another carrier for my car when the paint job goes on.
So my point is that there is a good chance that you would be seriously paying for the insurance, if you got them to cover it. Esp if you wanted to do more than just show it.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:29 PM

i say go for the kit.. i want to do it and put alot of research into it.. but be prepared to spend almost 40,000$ to make it worth while.. if your going to have a car like that make sure it has the power behind it to back it up
Old 03-26-2002, 04:59 PM

92rsconv - Did you read what you just wrote? $40,000 for a fake car?? If you spend that much on a car you may not even be able to insure you need to be declared insane.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:23 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Go for it. The EVO II is about as close as any of us will ever get to owning an exotic. But I think it's better, those looks with our known mechanicals underneath (read that cheap upkeep), how can you beat it. By the way I've shown the pics to some babes in the past and they all drooled.

That said, for evey yin there's a yang and some of the insurance, body part repair/replacement, etc. are honest concerns.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro, 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L carbed and 5.0L TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 and 3.27 posi
Ohh the things I could do with eight grand!!!
Old 03-26-2002, 11:17 PM

I guess it's your money, so do whatever you want. and hey, if it's different you want, I did a quick edit job on the project car they have. I like mine better. kinda a EVO I with an EVO II hood and a couple of extra's (headlights blacked out). I really like their SS ish hood on the new EVO. oh, and to throw my 2 cents in here, if i had that money I'd find an old mopar or first gen to restore and I'd probably still have money left over to start a new project, but I guess you don't want to hear that.

here's the original pic:

and my version:
Attached Thumbnails The body kit that i am getting, what do u think?-davesevo.jpg  
Old 03-27-2002, 07:27 AM

I agree with 92rsconvertable, it'll cost WAY more than 8 grand. Or at least it should. The last thing you want is to have a car that looks like this and doesn't have the extreme horsepower and be able to put it to the ground. Primo paint; interior upgrade of at least quality seats, street rollbar, full harnesses; SFC and full suspension upgrade; that huge wheel/tire package; add another 10 grand for a least acceptable drivetrain and you'll be up there big time...then you can look for insurance.
There's nothing wrong with a car like this, they are outstanding when done right, just be prepared for a major cash outflow. If it only cost 8 grand you'd see alot more of them around.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

I would get rid of the roof scoops as well, but I would keep the fin and the signals in the mirrors.

One day...when I win the lotto. But then I could buy a real exotic.

Seriously, I will build one one day. Great way to really learn body work as you go. And I'm up for the challenge.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:24 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: L03
Am I reading this right???? You're a kid in high school and you are going to have enough money for an $8000 body kit, and an LS6 engine, so what like $20,000 said and done???? WTF????? Let me say it again...............WTF?????? You have got to be kidding me. Go ahead and put the kit on, that is the kind of car you pull up next to and go WTF is that? Then you whip the sh*t out of it cause it's powered by a V6. Oh and your full ride, just want to let you know that if you get injured that full ride is GONE, trust me I know from experience. Where are you getting this money? Mom and dad I suppose.

Dear *** I'm ranting, sorry, just pisses me off.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:57 PM

oh yeah, and another thing, find a berli with a v8 like an LG4 already in it, it will make the V8 swap alot easier and you can probably find one for cheap ( after all, it doesn't matter what the body and interior are like if your gonna change them all) just something to thing about.
Old 03-27-2002, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Raptor 700
Since you're a senior in high school, as I am, I'm sure you'd be thinking of college for the next 4 years???????? where are you pulling this 8k from to buy a kit for your car?? I dunno its your money but personally i'd keep your car the way it is, nice and clean
Old 03-28-2002, 07:53 AM

Well, i have a job after school right now making 12 an hour and on weekends i am a paintball ref and make 300 for both days. THats why money isnt a problem(the free ride to college also helps alot)but i am not sure yet, u guys have given me soem good and some bad comments on it which has got me thinking so right now i am debating, maby i will do it after i get done with the LS1 swap.thanks
Old 03-28-2002, 08:19 AM

who has money to do an LS1 swap in high school???????????? This blows my mind.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:50 AM

Is there any way it would be possible to put the evoII fron clip on a car, but leave the rest stock. I love the front, but the rest looks too exotic(atracts cops and morons).
Old 03-28-2002, 12:27 PM

You're taking it well 1stgenracer. Just take it all in and think the whole project thru to as much detail as you can. Write it all down and think of every system/part on the car, be realistic with prices, and then total it up. Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

I think it will look awesome. If it were me I would then look into a turbo motor of some kind. Hmm Turbo Trans Am engine or Turbo Buick….

Good Luck

How about a new V10
Old 03-29-2002, 01:58 PM

After speaking to my friend who does custom fiberglass body work, after i get the engine, i am going to put the kit on. WE are than going to make a mold of the pieces that come with the kit so that if i ever get in a crash or just need a new part, we can take the mold and just copy it to make the new pieces. But the body kit wont come for liek 4 years now because i have decided to use the money that i have now on the engine and i am not going to work when i am in college so it will be done when i am out. ALso, i was thinking about the turbo thing, i guess that i will just get the twin turbo setup that is on soem corvettes(i know that it will be expensive) but no one will ever be able to beat me in a race, well, maby a real ferrari or something) but i am going to do it.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:07 PM

this cracks me up.

i'm gonna put a turbine engine in mine, then if I wanted to go to Michigan, I could just fly my Firebird over Lake Michigan and drive the rest of the way.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
If I were ever going to change my cars body style I would go for something that looks more like a Vector, Ferrari , Lamborghini. I would like to keep the style that looks like a sharp dart, at least thats what my car reminds me of. To many cars out there are starting to look rounded. They are all begining to look the same to me.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:30 PM

Bro, I say go for it!!!!!!! I own a 1989 GTA that I am modding the heck out of... Nothing in this car will remain stock, from underbody neon to fiberglass hatch. NOthing's wrong with my car, I just want to play with it. AND THAT'S THE KEY!!!!! Its your car, so do what YOU want. I want to build an EVO II kit next year, so be sure to send me the pics bro!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:20 PM

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: 355 carbed
Transmission: t-5
Originally posted by IROCThe5.7L
Put that $$ in a 350 and make it run 12's :lala:
Hell I have spent 8 g's on my car and the engine. and it will be running low 11's. I spent $3,500 on the car it had a worked 350 that kept up with my friends LS1 and now I took that out and have a 383 with 6-71 GMC blower. Low 11's right there. Invest your money wisely. I also wanted to buy the Evo kit. I love the way it looks. But then I could use that 8 g's plus install money towards my new car a 2000 C5 vette hardtop. Thats what I'm saving for now and will have the whole car paid off by this time next year. Or at least go to a dealership and buy it in cash. Not a bad way to spend $33,000. But it's your choice and your money if you want details on my engine package let me know I'll hook ya up.

Chuck