Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

-={ Dash / Console computer mod }=-

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: Near Stock 350
Transmission: Stock 700R4
-={ Dash / Console computer mod }=-

My friend asked me if I could help him install a computer and code some software for him for his car so in return he said he would help me do the install / wiring for mine. This picture is just my sketch from tonight on what I think it may look like. I just wanted to know what everyone here thinks about the look of this ( not whether it is a distraction or not ) and if anyone that has done something similar can give me any advice on it.

I added the non-commented section for clarity

Some of the things I hope to achieve with the system are entertainment ( such as DVDs and music ), monitoring / recording of some of the cars functions ( this isn't to detailed yet, not until some more thought on how I can do a few things ), and maybe some security type stuff too. All this is very likely to change since these are just initial thoughts. For his Impala we are going to attempt getting it to control some of the cars functions ( hydros, for example ). Just wanted to get some input and see if you guys can help keep me in the right direction. Thanks a lot.

Only like 6 weeks until IROCON.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:05 AM

HYDROS lololololol oh man you people crack me up....

It's a cool idea, but seriously, is it really worth spending the money on it?
Old 02-26-2002, 01:13 AM

I don't see why the hydros are so funny, but that's his car and not mine. I personally think they make more sense on a '64 Impala anyway. Anyway, he already has them installed and everything, he just wants to have them computer controlled for... whatever his reason is, I don't really know why or care, but oh well. As for cost, I don't plan on spending more than $200. I don't think that's unreasonable for something with that many features and the possibility of expansion compared to the $1600 DIN style 4" screen DVD players on the market, do you ¿
Old 02-26-2002, 10:18 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
I think it would be pretty cool. It would be even cooler to have a program like WinALDL constantly running on it so you can always see what your car is doing, so its more than just for looks, its a diagnostic.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:30 AM

I think it would be pretty sweet....
Old 02-26-2002, 01:08 PM

If I had diagnostics running on my car all the time I think I would have a heart attack. My car does things I am probably better off not knowing
Old 02-26-2002, 01:14 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383 Miniram
Transmission: T56
Amen to that......
Old 02-27-2002, 01:10 PM

Car: 85 Mustang
Transmission: T5
I've thought about doing something like this with a couple of old laptops I have lying around in pieces... never got past the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage tho'.

The major hurdles as I see them are:

Screen: Most LCD have a narrow view angle, so you would have to be careful to mount it at the correct angle for the driver to see. Glare could also be a problem.

Input: A keyboard and mouse don't seem like they would work well in a car. A touch screen would be really cool. You could also use a single row of keys mounted above or to the side of the screen, kind of like an ATM.

Hard Disk: I have no idea how well a typical hard disk will hold up to the bumps and jostles of a car. You could always skip the HD altogether and run from ROM or a RAM disk

Anyway, it'd be pretty cool to have something like that in your car - I think the diagnostics would be 'specially neat. If this ever comes together, I'd be interested in seeing some pics.

-VLich
Old 02-27-2002, 01:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
It could have a "G" rating analyzer like the Nissan Skylines do That would be badass.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:24 PM

Car: 85 Mustang
Transmission: T5
I've thought about doing something like this with a couple of old laptops I have lying around in pieces... never got past the "wouldn't it be cool if..." stage tho'.

The major hurdles as I see them are:

Screen: Most LCD have a narrow view angle, so you would have to be careful to mount it at the correct angle for the driver to see. Glare could also be a problem.

Input: A keyboard and mouse don't seem like they would work well in a car. A touch screen would be really cool. You could also use a single row of keys mounted above or to the side of the screen, kind of like an ATM.

Hard Disk: I have no idea how well a typical hard disk will hold up to the bumps and jostles of a car. You could always skip the HD altogether and run from ROM or a RAM disk

Anyway, it'd be pretty cool to have something like that in your car - I think the diagnostics would be 'specially neat. If this ever comes together, I'd be interested in seeing some pics.

-VLich
Old 02-27-2002, 02:19 PM

I have been putting a lot of time into researching this and I think that there may actually be potential for it to get past this "imagine if" stage. The LCD I have seems to be not compatible with any known LCD controllers so I don't think I would be able to connect it to a PC, but I have found out I may be able to trade it in toward the purchase of one (which will push my total cost way up ) that comes in a complete kit for hooking up to a PC (eliminating a lot of work for me). I am not going to get it just yet though, because I need to make some measurements first and my car doens't come out of storage for about 5 weeks

To address some of the questions you were thinking about VLich:

Screen: Rather than having it just mounted on, it would flip when the power turns on/off so it is hidden (security of course). I have two basic ideas on how this could be done. One of them that would address the viewing angle problem would be using a power mirror type base, so that the screen could be easily tilted and adjusted to face driver, passenger, or flat for both. The other idea still has a few kinks so I will wait a bit on that.

Input: Nearly all in-car computers I have seen/read about just use a touchpad and a micro keyboard. This would be easy enough to have mounted in the car. I was thinking maybe having just one cup holder and the touchpad in the other spot and then mounting the keyboard somewhere on/in/near the center console. I haven't thought about this part too much yet.

Hard Disk: As for storage I was going to first try it out with one of the bunch of old hard disks I have so having it break wouldn't be all that big of a deal. Mounting it side ways so the heads are perpendicular to the ground instead of parallel would help to prevent a lot of the possible damage. An even further measure would be some kind of crazy rubber band suspension method, yet another aspect I would need to think more about.

I just wanted to give a little update and hopefully not give up on this project. I know if I ever were to complete it, it would be a very awesome thing and of course I would try and document it as much as I could the whole way.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, for the diagnostic circuits, you might try looking up a wiring diagram for the digital dashes in the Trans Am/GTAs... I just took this video to give you an idea of what the dash looks/acts like. I accidently took the video in the lowest quality, but, you get the idea right?

In Car Dash and Rev

-Roshambo
Old 02-27-2002, 06:24 PM

Wont heat be an issue? You will probably need a large cooling fan on the processor because in the summer it takes awhile to cool our cars down.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:40 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 406 SB
Transmission: TH350
www.ashleypowers.com
check this sucker out

Andrew
Old 02-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always thought a LCD screen would be great right there. I used to build PCs and still work for a MS certified system builder as a parts/inventory management guy, here's my thoughts:

My (Random) thoughts:

Screen: I'd definately have an adjustable mounting

Input: Maybe integrate a keyboard into the top on the armrest? Definately would have to have a bypass though so as not to be bumping keys. Touchscreen would be ideal but beign able to hook up a KB when needed would be a nice option. Theres always those little folding ones for palm pilots. You could also use a small 2 button touchpad in place of a mouse, you could mount that darn near anywhere. Armrest, by the power window switchest, ashtray area, etc.

Disk: I think it'd be trick to have it read from a flash rom card, since bumps have no effect on them at all. I'm sure you could .sys a flash card somehow and boot from it. You could also pirate those neat little hard drives out of a laptop and get a 3.5" IDE adapter for it (been there done that, makes creating a backup image of a laptop hard drive much easier) Not as abuse resistant but likely better than a standard PC hard drive.

Cooling: Vent it into the AC duct, since its right above it. Even if the heaters on, it'll still just be shooting air up into the vent.

Uses: Here's another idea. Hook up a USB webcam to it! Think of how much fun you could have with that! Record races and any other general silliness that you just wish you had a camera around for!

You know how else this could be done....
Take an old laptop that has a VGA or S video out. Find some magic box that accepts the signal from that and makes the Console mount LCD work... get a USB touchpad and/or keyboard... detach the present LCD from the laptop, mount it under the passenger side of the dash by the ECM..... and just do whatever else is neccesary to make it all work. Or find a way to detach the LCD from the laptop and extend all the connections to the neccesary length. That'd be the easy way!

Ok thats enough disorganized rambling from me!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:20 AM

O2SK8 - Well, personally im not a big fan of the LCD in a car idea.. but you never know it might grow on me.. I did have a question about those cup holders though. I see alot of people swap to 4th gen consols for cup holders, but by that pic it looks like a 3rd gen console with ash tray replaced with 2 cupholders. I've thought of doing this but have had absolutly no idea how to. So, anyway, have you ever seen anyone do this or know how to go about this?
Old 03-01-2002, 01:30 AM

Thanks to everyone who has been posting about this idea. Thanks for the ashleypowers link. I have seen that and got a few ideas from there. Where he had the raising LCD, I evolved it into flipface. As far as cooling the PC goes, I'm not too worried about that, I am sure I will have plenty of high cfm fans running and who knows, maybe it will be water cooled someday. About the cupholders: There is a tech article here about it. Hopefully that helps.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:22 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
I think the idea is great, no more toting the laptop to the drags!
Old 03-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Trans Am 'Vert
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
Howabout using one of those protable key boards which fold up into a 4x3" square, or something to that affect. And for a mouse, a simple touch pad mouse would be perfect!