Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Some questions about Klearz tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions about Klearz tail lights

So I've just spent the past hour or so reading through some past threads about the Klearz tail lights (and the situations that went along with purchasing them). As we all know, there isn't much out there for us when it comes to tail lights, so the Klearz are very intriguing. However, I'm feeling mixed emotions/impressions about them after reading some threads, so I'm hoping some of y'all could weigh in.

I started by reading about the original group purchase back in 2007/08, and found the whole thing a bit disconcerting. It seems like folks kept getting the "in a couple weeks" treatment, which went on for a good year or so. Then when some product finally reached hands, I saw a more people than not who were disappointed to one extent or another, mostly because of issues with assembly, fit, warping, and that kind of stuff.

Then I stumbled across another group purchase thread from 2014-present (six years later?), and it was like the same thing all over again. "In a couple weeks" turned into a year. While there wasn't as much of a sample size, there were still some folks on either side of the fence - some who were disappointed, and some who were happy (or at least content).

What caught my attention about the lights themselves, was most of the ones I saw from the recent purchase, looked exactly like the ones from the original(2008) purchase. I found that interesting, as one of the explanations for delay was due to new molds having to be made. One thing that really stuck out to me, was the first section of lenses after the corner piece on the passenger side light, sits a little lower than the rest of the lenses (it really sticks out to me because of the uniform "grid" look the lights are supposed to have). I noticed it on one of the original "prototype" pictures, as well as most of the lights from the 2008 batch, and I also noticed it on most of the lights from the most recent batch. So the "new mold" thing seems a little sketchy to me. Not to mention, there was also some of the same feedback this time around, regarding fit issues and warping.

So I guess what I'm really wondering is, are these lights worth it? In the world of aftermarket tail lights, $300 is not a bad price (especially when options are limited). That being said, $300 is not exactly a drop in the bucket either. And I can't help but feel like these issues with warping/fit/etc.. shouldn't be a concern at all. This is supposed to be a company producing product for a particular market of it's expertise, not some hobbyist trying to make due in the garage. I suppose my expectations could be a little high, though, but I don't feel that's the case? Also, I remember reading that the lights are now available as one piece, but have yet to see anyone's experience with that.

I'm interested in perhaps a smoked or clear set of these lights, but I'm really on the fence right now. Hoping you guys with experience can offer some insight/input. There's a fella here who put a set of the clear lights on a black Z with silver stripes/ground effects and a 91-92 Z spoiler, and it looks absolutely RAD as hell.