Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Oxidation, orange peel, water marks. Wetsand & buff or respray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001 | 01:51 PM

Oxidation, orange peel, water marks. Wetsand & buff or respray?

Topic says it all... the hood and roof are oxidized, the hood has what appears to be water marks, and most of the car has that orange peel texture to it. Not subtile, but very noticeable. I did manage to buff some of the oxidation out, but it took forever to do even the tiniest bit.

The previous own said he was "in the industry for a while" and resprayed the car about 6 years ago... I assume after it was in an accident... the rear bumper peals back to silver paint and the sticker isn't original...he even said it was rear-ended...

So should I get my local Maaco to do a respray for me? Or can I wetsand it out and then buff it out?
Old 12-21-2001 | 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Before you give up and repaint, go over the entire car with rubbing compound by hand to remove all of the oxidation and crap. Then use 3M finecut either by hand or with a high speed polisher to see the final result. After that use some polish like Zaino polish and then put a few coats of wax. If it still look like **** after that, then you DEFINANTLY have to repaint.

I did all of this on my 82 S/E with the original paint and it came out great! There were a few spots here and there where the paint was getting thin but nothing to complain about being the original paint.
Old 12-21-2001 | 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: Built 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23's - Limited Slip
Wet sand and buff would be the best way I think.

But rubbing compound is amazing. Picture an 89 chevy truck going through a field of alder bushes. We used rubing compund on it and took out almost all the scrates...lol. So orange peel shouldn't be a problem for it.
Old 12-22-2001 | 10:59 AM

So rubbing compound with a high speed buffer it is... after that I'll polish and wax...

Thanks guys... now I just need to wait for warmer weather!
Old 12-22-2001 | 01:07 PM

Try LIQUID rubbing compound by HAND, the go to milder polishes to take out swirls/scuffs from compound.....rubbing compound with high--speed buffer could be over-kill...you might burn/go through paint easily. Good luck.