Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Plasti Dip my hood and tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 5.0 L (Carbed)
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: Lazy 2 check
Plasti Dip my hood and tires...

So pretty much like in the description I wanna plasti dip my flat black primered daytona hood and my rims. As for the hood how many cans do you guys suggest I use, and do I need to prep it or anything?

and as for the rims, there is like impregnated dirt on them do I have to completely remove it or can I just paint over it?How many cans in total for all 4 tires, and hood....?thanks...first time doing this..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23
Re: Plasti Dip my hood and tires...

Well if you get the wheel kit form dipyourcar.com they sell you 4 cans. As for the hood I would say 2-3 cans. The thicker you put it on the better it looks and the better it will peel off if you want to remove it. They say you should do like 5 coats. Clean the wheels the best you can, but don't sand them in case you want to go back to stock.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM

I cheked out there prices and honestly think I can get em for almost as cheap at my local Home Depot LOL...but I think Ima check out and test it out on my hood....gonna byt 3 cans and go from there....3 cans thats a lot of layers NO?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

I did my hood. That stuff doesnt like cold weather. Half my cans have come out really lumpy, and the other half sprays great, like powdered sand. Pretty sure the latter is how it is supposed to spray. Not sure what the difference was, maybe it warmed up. But anyway, e ven if it comes out super lumpy just try to spray it smooth and even like paint, just make sure you do at least 3-4 coats, preferably five. 4 cans should be enough. I went through 3 and part of a fourth for mine.

Im not super enamored with the look, but it works for now. The product is great, but I think if I had done it on a warmer day it would look way better. I much prefer plastidip to spray bombing with primer or flat black paint. Looks WAAY nicer with plastidip.

So 4 for the hood, probably another four for the wheels. The stuff is only easy to peel off if you keep adding layers so it's thick, remember that.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

sweet...well hopefully if all goes well ima paint it this weekend how long do I let it dry for??
Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

With all due respect, why plasti dip it? Isn't that kind of a cop-out for not doing it right? Paint it and make it look good! Pleeeeease! Those hoods are awesome. I'm not a fan of the plasti dip look whatsoever.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ruckusz28
With all due respect, why plasti dip it? Isn't that kind of a cop-out for not doing it right? Paint it and make it look good! Pleeeeease! Those hoods are awesome. I'm not a fan of the plasti dip look whatsoever.
To me plastidip is a cheaper, easier alternative to flat black spray bombing something that's actually easily reversible. Hard to be mad about plastidip when you can take it off quicker than you can spray it.

Most things shouldnt be flat black spray bombed, but sometimes you just get stuck in a pinch and there are other priorities and it doesnt look too bad. It doesn't hurt that flat black is very much in style lately, either.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Car: 89Z28 Vert
Engine: 350/tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

For the wheels yes u can use the cans as for the hood I wouldn't it will stripe out. I e seen people do a good job with cans but can still see the stripes. I used a sprayer for my car and no stripes at all the hood is the hardest part but came out great
Old 01-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Maybe I just don't get it. I'd much rather see the car in white so the hood matches.
If you're dead set on going the matte finish route you can get a quart of SEM hot rod black and all the necessary catalyst / reducers for under 70 bucks. That way you won't have to worry about peeling anything off. Just scuff it with scotch brite and spray away!

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FZGPPAodAi8Aaw

Either way, it's what you like and what's going to make you happy.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
To me plastidip is a cheaper, easier alternative to flat black spray bombing something that's actually easily reversible. Hard to be mad about plastidip when you can take it off quicker than you can spray it.

Most things shouldnt be flat black spray bombed, but sometimes you just get stuck in a pinch and there are other priorities and it doesnt look too bad. It doesn't hurt that flat black is very much in style lately, either.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ruckusz28
Maybe I just don't get it. I'd much rather see the car in white so the hood matches.
If you're dead set on going the matte finish route you can get a quart of SEM hot rod black and all the necessary catalyst / reducers for under 70 bucks. That way you won't have to worry about peeling anything off. Just scuff it with scotch brite and spray away!

http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...FZGPPAodAi8Aaw

Either way, it's what you like and what's going to make you happy.
part of the issue is that while I like the flat black look, I'd never want to permanently make my car flat black. I just dont think it will age well and I dont like the idea. But as something fun for a year or two to make the car look mean til I can afford to get really nice paint job on it, not so bad. If you actually paint a car flat black you have to spend a whole lot of time sanding it back down afterwards. And if Im gonna be sanding and prepping a car for paint, I'd rather do it over a single layer of factory paint than multiple layers. Easier to take it down to metal when needed and otherwise just avoids potential problems with chemistry later on.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Car: 89Z28 Vert
Engine: 350/tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
part of the issue is that while I like the flat black look, I'd never want to permanently make my car flat black. I just dont think it will age well and I dont like the idea. But as something fun for a year or two to make the car look mean til I can afford to get really nice paint job on it, not so bad. If you actually paint a car flat black you have to spend a whole lot of time sanding it back down afterwards. And if Im gonna be sanding and prepping a car for paint, I'd rather do it over a single layer of factory paint than multiple layers. Easier to take it down to metal when needed and otherwise just avoids potential problems with chemistry later on.

Very well said
Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Originally Posted by Rockyd
Very well said
I say for the OP to go for it, it can be removed and all his is out is his time and the cost of the dip.