Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

My black car gets dirty so fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 (TPI)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: i dunno lolz
My black car gets dirty so fast!

Hello guys,

My car looks really nice after I wash it, and it stays shiny for about another 4-5 days...then it starts looking all dirty with dust all over it and everything, especially if it rains. I wax the car twice a year (using turtle wax), and wash it at least every 2 weeks (more if it rains a lot). I've never had this problem with other cars I've had in the past.

If it rains, it will leave little white spots all over the car (apparently it happens to cars that are waxed).

Is there anything I can do to my black car to make it look cleaner for longer? I really hate washing the car every week...A friend of mine recommended getting the car professionally detailed. Will that help?

Thanks

ANYONE KNOW HOW YOU CAN KEEP A BLACK CAR LOOKING CLEAN FOR MORE THAN 1 DAY? (OTHER THEN NOT DRIVING IT).

Last edited by Skyset; 09-10-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42
Re: My black car gets dirty so fast!

Having owned a few black Z28's I hear ya loud and clear! Here's a tip I got from a Mothers car care rep while I wash polishing my Z at a car show; "Ground it". Make up your own ground wire lead and a long screw driver or ground rod. Attach the gator clip end of your ground wire lead to the sub frame or chassis and drive the attached rod into the dirt. That will help reduce and discharge the static electricity on the body from attracting the dust particles that show up so well on our black beauty's.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Car: 86 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 (TPI)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: i dunno lolz

Originally Posted by Wadebryant
Having owned a few black Z28's I hear ya loud and clear! Here's a tip I got from a Mothers car care rep while I wash polishing my Z at a car show; "Ground it". Make up your own ground wire lead and a long screw driver or ground rod. Attach the gator clip end of your ground wire lead to the sub frame or chassis and drive the attached rod into the dirt. That will help reduce and discharge the static electricity on the body from attracting the dust particles that show up so well on our black beauty's.
Wow that's a good idea actually - thanks for that .
Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42

I keep two show vehicles parked in my (dusty) barn and the ground method helps. It's also really beneficial to add a quality car cover to the mix when they're not being used.

If you keep your car in a garage, you can try the same ground method by running a ground wire to and clamping it to a metalic water line or run your ground lead wire to the outside power meter ground rod. Lot's of options.. but still, Black highlights everything.

Good luck
Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

all of the above , it's the nature of the beast/color . i have a dark blue/metallic color on my car . mine is a TRUE daily driver , i feel your pain . good luck .
Old 09-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

Its called "California duster". It will not fix your problem but its really nice when removing dust. You can pick them up at any auto parts store,Walmart,etc.There about $15.00. I don't have a black car but live next to a truck depo. and it really dose a nice job. Just give it a light dusting . Its advertised as safe for your car with no scratching. I have found that to be true.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 09-11-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add info.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

zaino products...
nuff said haha
Old 09-11-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by UNCLE TOM
i feel your pain .
Me too. I have an Altima coupe painted a color Nissan calls "super black." When the car is clean, it's wicked elegant--but that's short lived. Personally, I'd never buy another black car.

BTW, years ago I had some hesitation about using the California Duster; however, after seeing guys using them on paint jobs that cost more than my car, I purchased one. Glad I did. Recommended.

JamesC
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skyset
Hello guys,

My car looks really nice after I wash it, and it stays shiny for about another 4-5 days...then it starts looking all dirty with dust all over it and everything, especially if it rains. I wax the car twice a year (using turtle wax), and wash it at least every 2 weeks (more if it rains a lot). I've never had this problem with other cars I've had in the past.

If it rains, it will leave little white spots all over the car (apparently it happens to cars that are waxed).

Is there anything I can do to my black car to make it look cleaner for longer? I really hate washing the car every week...A friend of mine recommended getting the car professionally detailed. Will that help?

Thanks

ANYONE KNOW HOW YOU CAN KEEP A BLACK CAR LOOKING CLEAN FOR MORE THAN 1 DAY? (OTHER THEN NOT DRIVING IT).
Paint it maytag white end of problem.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Car: 97 Cummins 92 CamaroZ28, 94 GSXR750
Engine: Modded 5.9 , carbed sbc358, modded
Transmission: Nv4500, 700R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by itsMikey
zaino products...
nuff said haha
^agree 100%^ zaino is a bada$$ product. Uve got a black car so ur gunna have th dirt problem but withthe right product u can save u some stress. Also get a California duster and wipe it off regularly keep it lookin good
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

Originally Posted by ronusmcmma
Its called "California duster". It will not fix your problem but its really nice when removing dust. You can pick them up at any auto parts store,Walmart,etc.There about $15.00. I don't have a black car but live next to a truck depo. and it really dose a nice job. Just give it a light dusting . Its advertised as safe for your car with no scratching. I have found that to be true.
I've found the best time to use it is right before the sun goes down. That is when the car is dustiest, but before the moisture in the air decends and traps the dust on the car. If you use it around this time each day your car will stay looking clean for a lot longer. I typically can keep it looking freshly waxed for about two weeks without having to wash it if done correctly.

Originally Posted by itsMikey
zaino products...
nuff said haha
That stuff is money! 'Been using in on my black GTA for seven years. Even had a local car detailer switch to it after using it on my car. Also, hit up your car with a clay bar before waxing/polishing your car. Your paint will feel like glass.

Last edited by blacksunshine'91; 09-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.