Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Polishing rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: have a 92 camaro rs...in pieces
Engine: none now...probably 383 stroker
Transmission: none yet
Axle/Gears: none
Polishing rims

Have a question for all/anybody that's polished aluminum parts, more so rims and have achieved an actual mirror like finish (Not a finish that most consider mirror like). I've sanded the rims down to 2000 grit and tried many different polishes and compounds. Ive had the best results so far with Jeweler's Rouge Buffing Compound, but i still cant seem to get the finish i want. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice of what to do. Am i missing or not understanding something? This is what it looks like right now.......

As you can see the reflection of the bottle sucks... At least per my standards... How, if at all possible can i get them to a finish like these? (Pics for reference)

Now thats a real mirror like finish!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73
Re: Polishing rims

Thanks for asking this question. I have been sanding my intake for the past few months. I can get aluminum intake parts very shiny but still can see small swirls up close. I am now going back and trying finer grades of sand paper to see if it makes a difference. I have tripoli and jewelers rouge compound. Tripoli really makes parts shine, haven't noticed too much with rouge on buff wheel. Wondering if hand rubbing an aluminum polish compound would help. I want to do wheels next and curious how people get parts so shiny like in pictures. I wonder if their parts have very fine scratches too but don't show up in pictures. Notice how pics are usually taken in bright sun? Not sure if that covers anything up.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Heres 2 links for someone thats trying to understand polishing and how it works...
1. http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/howto.html
2. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm . For whatever reason, the caswell link doesnt wanna go through by clicking on it so just copy the link and paste.
I can get aluminum intake parts very shiny but still can see small swirls up close.
I havent tried it, but I've read that apparently sodium bicarbonate (AKA baking soda) and talcum powder can be used to get rid of swirl marks. Not sure how to do that though.
Never the less, polishing to a mirror like finish only works if the surface is prepped properly. As in like painting a car, body work and prep is 90% of it, paint is 10%... That being said, you need the surface to be immaculately smooth and free of scratches and imperfections. So basically in a nutshell... Crappy surface dissipates light which means crappy shine, perfect sufrace reflects light and gives that mirror like shine.
I cant figure out how to get the surface any more prefect then i have it now, its smoother than a babys ***. Someones gotta know what to do.

Also, NO! Paying someone to do this is not an option so dont even post any comments similar to that.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

Any updates?

I've gone back over some intake pieces with a finer sandpaper regiment beyond 400 (600, 800, 1000, 1500). I bought some aluminum polish from english customs. Only things I can think of to make a mirror finish is the following:

-clean buff bad frequently with rake
-use tripoli compound sparingly
-use english customs polish as final buff
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM

No not really... I can't work on one thing too long or I get bored... Especially if the progress isn't moving at the pace that I'd like.... I jump around through the mini projects that I have going on... As far as the polishing goes, I have an idea why I'm not getting the results.... The surface is still not uniform enough and it's damn smooth already... First off, i used an abrasive that gets real fine... Its starts off being rated at 1500 grit, but the info says that the 1500 grit is similar to 600 grit sandpaper... So then thats 40%.... If that holds true then the abrasive gets down to 12,000, which would be the equivalent of 4800 grit if I was using regular sandpaper... So the surface is at 4800 and its still not where I want it... Don't get me wrong, from like 3 to 4 feet away it looks pretty spectacular, but up close its not quite how i want it... It's got a decent reflection but its still hazy... All the compounds I've used (mostly the cheaper stuff from like harbor freight and sears) in bar form just aren't cutting it... I'm waiting on some compound (which I ordered like a month ago), green rouge... Stuff my cousin uses at the machine shop he works where they polish little intricate parts that are used in the medical field/hospitals.... Ive used the green polish from sears and he brought me a sample of the green polish he uses... Its night and day, the results are way different... So we'll see once i finally get the stuff in the mail...

Blackdog36, do you have any pictures of the stuff you polished? I'd be curious to see your results...
Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: Boosted LSX

white rouge should get your good results. make sure your using enough. dont let the parts get "dry" so to say. Diff. types will give you different shines. White, brown,green,blue, etc..

Also try mother billet polish by hand.
Starting at 120 and working your way upto 2000 should deff. be good enough on the sanding end.
my old Z rims
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/CarStuff/92Z/Rims/

lota other stuff ive done in the past
http://www.cecoatings.com/images/polished/

:edit:

when you say Hazy: is it still cloudy looking? I find thats from letting the part get to hit while buffing without enough compound.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 PM

I know the order from back being the most aggressive to blue, which is supposedly for plastics... You should be able to see what i mean by hazy if you look at my pics/vid... Heres a link to my photobucket... The first one is a vid i shot cause the camera isnt the best plus some pics.. Check it out... In the vid you could see my reflection in the spoke... N its not the best... http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...rtweaz/rimzzz/ , Plus i shot this in my room, i think the lighting isnt the best, maybe i should try outside in the sun.

I'm not sure but i dont the parts getting hot... I dont have the rim stationary, it spins while i move the buffing wheel over the part... I use quite a bit of polish that at times it seems to like to stick to the sides of the spokes where the grooves are. I dont know, maybe im expecting too much.

Last edited by weaz4200; 09-20-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

I see what ya mean. Looks like of cloudy. Id try some mothers by hand on a spoke and see how it looks.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks, ill try that... Ill try a couple different things and see what my results are.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:29 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5

I spent about 10 hrs per rim wet sanding and polishing in my opinion you may need to wetsand more.I did 800 -1000-1500-2000 3m compound,mothers aluminium polish then a metal protectant/sealer by hand.I am unable to get any pics right now but they really shine.I also started out with 120 grit dry on a random orbital to take out the factory machining marks.good luck
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Yes, Orbital sander... That was my next move... Then at least i know the surface will be flat and smooth... Its really hard to tell, but the rims still have faint machine lines.. You gotta look real close and squint, but they are there... I'll post my results when i can get to them again... Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

If you still have machine lines you have alot more sanding to do. I ASSumed you had the rims smooth already.

In that case id start with 320 on an D/A and work your way back upto an 1200 and try a quick compound test again then.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:15 PM

They actually are pretty smooth... If you run your finger across it there no sign of the lines, but as it goes with polishing.. Just because I cant see the lines doesnt mean they still dont exist on a microscopic level... Thats why the shine/finish is only as good as it is... I'll sand them some more and see what happens.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm only a couple hours from you. Bring them by and I'll finish them over the weekend for you.
It is a lengthy process and you need the proper equipment and materials to get the results you are looking for. I have all of it and do a lot of parts for guys around here and I also buff/polish as a day job.
Let me know, I'd be happy to help out.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 PM

I appreciate the offer TireSmokin' but then that would kinda defeat the purpose. I dont want someone to do it for me, then I'll never learn. Now if someone wants to give me tips/tricks on how to do it or tell me what I'm doing wrong then I'm all ears. As far as physically doing it.. That I have to do myself.