Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Dura Shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2001, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dura Shine

I saw the promo for Dura Shine on TV last weekend. The thing I liked the most was that you don't have to towel dry the car and it not supposed to leave water spots. If this was true, it would save me a lot of trouble. Has anyone tried this product? If so what did you think of it? How was the shine and how long did it last? Also, did it affect the color of the car at all? What I mean is, I have a blue IROC and when I apply Zymol, it significantly deepens the blue color.

Thanks.

Paul
Old 09-22-2001, 08:52 PM

I saw the promo for it as well, but have yet to score any in my area. I liked how everything water wise just basically ran off the car-way cool.
Old 09-22-2001, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

That durashine crap is worthless i've bought it applied it and as soon as i applied it with a cloth it left some paint residue on the cloth, i ignored it and kept on going when i was done looks nothing but like a car wash, waited and it didnt repel like the infomercial it left spots as usual, its all bull, my suggestion dont waste your money on it, the infomercial has some really bad actors as well
Old 09-22-2001, 09:55 PM

the laser thing was pretty cool though.
Old 09-22-2001, 10:48 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hotroc:
the laser thing was pretty cool though.</font>
Well, if you didnt notice...it took forever even for that laser to go through a paper towel tube.
Old 09-22-2001, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Didn't take too long to go through the guy's shirt though LOL
Old 09-23-2001, 01:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
That laser demonstration is pretty misleading. The white paint on the car reflects all the laser's energy, if they tried the same demonstration on a black car it would burn the paint.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:10 AM

I am not sure if this makes a difference or not. But, I noticed that the car was considerably further away from the laser than the things that the laser burned through.

Like I said before, I was really interested in finding out if it would really prevent water spots. According to vortech305, it doesn't work.

I have read a lot about Zaino in this forum. But that sounds like a lot of work.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:36 AM

Preventing waterspots....
Just dry the car off with a california water blade. It works great, and doesnt take long at all.

Target sells their brand of a california water blade that i also have it was like 10 bucks. I wash my car once a week or so and i use the blade in between when it gets wet and i never have water spots. i just keep one in the car.

Works great in the morning if your windows are fogged up also.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IROC'N:
I am not sure if this makes a difference or not. But, I noticed that the car was considerably further away from the laser than the things that the laser burned through.
</font>
The color of the target makes a huge difference, the distance from the source does not. We used to do science shows for kids when I was an undergrad, one of the favorite tricks was showing them how a green laser would pop a red balloon but not a green one.

[This message has been edited by Apeiron (edited September 25, 2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 03:03 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IROC'N:
Like I said before, I was really interested in finding out if it would really prevent water spots. According to vortech305, it doesn't work.

I have read a lot about Zaino in this forum. But that sounds like a lot of work.
</font>

Zaino is LESS work than any of those things due to these reasons:

1) You don't have to wipe the Z1 off before you apply the Z2 or Z5. You apply it directly to the Z1. That eliminates one whole "go-over" of the car.

2) All Zaino products wipe off with very little pressure or rubbing. You could practically slide a sufficiently heavy towel across dried product and it would come off clean, without the need for buffing.

I have yet to find anything better, and believe me, I hate sounding like a damn pitchman or something. Before Zaino I used Meguires products, and Zaino shines slightly better than Meguires, and it many times easier to apply and lasts muc longer. I don't sell the stuff, but if I did, and belief in your product was all it took to sell, then I'd be a millionaire.

It's been six months since I last Zaino'd my car, but it still repels water like the day it was applied. I couldn't say that about Meguires or Mothers after only two weeks.
Old 09-26-2001, 03:05 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, and you can put it on in direct sunlight. That stuff loves direct sunlight. Put Meguires on in direct sunlight and you can expect a fierce battle buffing it off, count on it. Still, don't wash the car in direct sunlight, muy waterspots.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:33 PM

I bought that durashine crap about 5yrs ago when it first came out. Put in on my girlfriends car at the time and a truck. It does not work worth a you know what. Its really sticky kinda like a gel, and it still leaves water spots, just lots of really small ones. Ever notice on the commercial they have fans"off camera" blowing the water off the car, thats why it seems just fall off the hood. stick to the good stuff Dri-wash, Zaino, Meguires. These products actually work.

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/bulldogfrazier/homepage
+
http://www.fracoinc.com/

Keep your ride shinning with pride
Old 09-27-2001, 08:56 AM

Car: 2002 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: GM 3.42
mmmm....zaino good...smells like candy

i used to use Simonize hard paste wax. That stuff leaves an incredible shine and lasts forever, but it's like 4 hours of backbreaking work to do an f-body. Zaino is the only other thing I've seen / used that has as nice of a shine. I don't like the "wet look" that a lot of products have, but I like the Zaino shine a lot.

------------------
=====================
1992 25th Anniversary z28 Convertible
Old 09-27-2001, 09:56 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jza:

I have yet to find anything better, and believe me, I hate sounding like a damn pitchman or something.
</font>

Okay then I will be the pitchman, go buy Zaino you will not be disappointed!

------------------
88 IROC convertible
-=ICON Motorsports=-