Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Zymol Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's : (
Zymol Wax

I'm thinking about purchasing the Zymol Creame wax for summer detailing. Please note that this is not the cleaner wax sold at wal-mart and autozone (no disrespect...it's good stuff). I was wondering if anyone has used it before and if so what they thought of it. Thank you
Old 04-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Zymol Wax

A friend used it on his '66 GTO, and I liked it so I got it & used it on my '72 Ventura II and Grand Am.
The reflection had a deep wet look!! You could stand 8 feet away & still see detailed reflections!!

Well, that was some 10 yrs ago, haven't used it since I ran out. All the " new " stuff that's spray // wipe on & off has shown me the fast lazy way LOLol!!

Zymol was great back then & a lil more $, but was worth it!!

TIP--
As with all good waxes, IMHO, DON'T use it on hot metal-- it gets stubborn to hand buff off!!
Awwwh crap-- now ya got me wondering if I should give it another go 'round!!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is great try it, but I'm a fan of the Meguires NXT!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I Prefer it over Meguires any day of the week. it applies real wet and stays shiney for a good while.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula 350, 2002 Grand Prix G
Engine: 350 with SLP & Edlebrock mods
Transmission: 4-speed automatic-700 R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3:73

Having had my own detailing business for 20 years (not as of now) I found that all top of the line waxes from either Meguiars/ Ardex/ Eagle One/ Auto Magic/ Mothers and Zymol were great products. You have to realize that no major brand of polishes and waxes are going to produce an inferior product compared to others in their field. I had Porsche **** guys swear on how great Zymol was, but then they were putting it on their cars about once a week. Almost any banana type wax (solid with a yellow color) is going to look good if you use it that often and allow it build up. It's the oils in the wax that give it that high gloss, but they slowly go away so that within about 3 months it will still look good, but wax an area again and it will look like nite and day. The summer months are the worst for car finishes. The heat bakes all the airborne dusts into the finish and it then requires using a clay bar to remove them before applying a polish. Now a pure polish will make a car shine, but it will not protect it for long. A pure wax (no cleaners) will protect it much longer, but it cannot remove any haze or light surfaces scratches. Do you own a BLACK car? Unless you can garage it, it will NEVER look as good (as the day you spend 10 hours on it)after the first wash. All that spider webbing will return. It will still shine like new, but in the right light they will show up. If that makes you crazy, just go over it with a good banana wax and it will fill them it. Now repeat this process for the rest of your like and your baby will love you for it, or your wife or girlfriend (OR BOTH) will kick the **** out of you!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's : (

Originally Posted by edpontiac91
Having had my own detailing business for 20 years (not as of now) I found that all top of the line waxes from either Meguiars/ Ardex/ Eagle One/ Auto Magic/ Mothers and Zymol were great products. You have to realize that no major brand of polishes and waxes are going to produce an inferior product compared to others in their field. I had Porsche **** guys swear on how great Zymol was, but then they were putting it on their cars about once a week. Almost any banana type wax (solid with a yellow color) is going to look good if you use it that often and allow it build up. It's the oils in the wax that give it that high gloss, but they slowly go away so that within about 3 months it will still look good, but wax an area again and it will look like nite and day. The summer months are the worst for car finishes. The heat bakes all the airborne dusts into the finish and it then requires using a clay bar to remove them before applying a polish. Now a pure polish will make a car shine, but it will not protect it for long. A pure wax (no cleaners) will protect it much longer, but it cannot remove any haze or light surfaces scratches. Do you own a BLACK car? Unless you can garage it, it will NEVER look as good (as the day you spend 10 hours on it)after the first wash. All that spider webbing will return. It will still shine like new, but in the right light they will show up. If that makes you crazy, just go over it with a good banana wax and it will fill them it. Now repeat this process for the rest of your like and your baby will love you for it, or your wife or girlfriend (OR BOTH) will kick the **** out of you!

Thank you for the detailed response. I have actually been using the Zymol 503 cleaner/wax (aka turtle wax lol) on both my Camaro's as long as I've owned them. The problem is that I put less than 500 miles on both of them all year so most of the time they're covered and in storage. Thus, the paint never gets too dirty so I don't think I need to be cutting into the paint every time I wax them (usually about 2-3 times from April to October. I thought the pure carnauba wax would be the best route to go.

My third gen is white so I was going to go with the Creame and my 4th gen is red so I was looking at the Carbon (formulated for dark paints, red and black). The Creame comes in a kit along with the clear, hd cleaner and treat products along with microfiber aplicators for 130 bucks. The Carbon/Red wax is gonna be an extra 50.