Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

General clean up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 RS, 01 huyndai, 96 acura, ect...
Engine: 305 tbi
General clean up

I just bought a 92 RS and I have big plans for the thing. I'm almost done working the few minor bugs I got it with. I'm putting a 3.23 locker in the back in a few weeks and a I'm looking for a nice 350 tbi to rework and drop in, but that isn't the point of this post. No matter what I do under the hood I want the thing to look like it's going 100 miles an hour standing still. Here are a few of the issues:

-clear coat pealing (figure the only solution is a paint job, but I'd love to here a better idea?)

- weather stripping, doesnt leak, but it whistles and looks like crap. Does anyone know a good place to order a kit for T tops?

-the little piece of molding about half way up the door is totally missing it's paint on the upper section. I was thinking about putting a light application of surface filler putty over it prior to paint because it is a rough, porus plastic, but I have never done anything like this. Has anyone delt with this?

-the marker lights have water in them and are dull. Buff, repalce... any ideas?

-I'd like to find a new set of wheels, at first when I got it they were so pink I though the previous owner had coated them. I was pretty upset when I learned that that was the stock look with 20 years of sun damage... after I painted them black. Which (not to blow my own horn) look prettty freakin good for an afternoon with a few cans of wheel enamal and masking tape. Anyway to go back to the stock look, Accatone will take the my paint off, but how can I get the original look back?

- I'd like to change the front grill for one with fog lights. Has anyone done this? Have any idea where to get the grill? What years fit up? 90-92 right?

Thanks for any help/ suggestions/ ride pics!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z camaro
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23 posi
Re: General clean up

Originally Posted by dfitch
I just bought a 92 RS and I have big plans for the thing. I'm almost done working the few minor bugs I got it with. I'm putting a 3.23 locker in the back in a few weeks and a I'm looking for a nice 350 tbi to rework and drop in, but that isn't the point of this post. No matter what I do under the hood I want the thing to look like it's going 100 miles an hour standing still. Here are a few of the issues:

-clear coat pealing (figure the only solution is a paint job, but I'd love to here a better idea?)

- weather stripping, doesnt leak, but it whistles and looks like crap. Does anyone know a good place to order a kit for T tops?

-the little piece of molding about half way up the door is totally missing it's paint on the upper section. I was thinking about putting a light application of surface filler putty over it prior to paint because it is a rough, porus plastic, but I have never done anything like this. Has anyone delt with this?

-the marker lights have water in them and are dull. Buff, repalce... any ideas?

-I'd like to find a new set of wheels, at first when I got it they were so pink I though the previous owner had coated them. I was pretty upset when I learned that that was the stock look with 20 years of sun damage... after I painted them black. Which (not to blow my own horn) look prettty freakin good for an afternoon with a few cans of wheel enamal and masking tape. Anyway to go back to the stock look, Accatone will take the my paint off, but how can I get the original look back?

- I'd like to change the front grill for one with fog lights. Has anyone done this? Have any idea where to get the grill? What years fit up? 90-92 right?

Thanks for any help/ suggestions/ ride pics!
cant help ya out much but for the paint try some clear coat cleaner i belive its called along with rubbing compound, colorx, scratch x, and some good wax/polish

and for the lights get some headlight cleaner (cant think of the good stuff but it comes in a black bottle with light blue lablels) and use any type of buffer you got and go to town it looks really good.

and for the wheels do what you do for the paint but exept the clearcoat stuff. it should come out pretty good. this is if you are talking about getting the pink to the original red.

and on the grill it doesnt take long at all and you just need to remove a few screws.