Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Track Day Photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 iroc
Track Day Photos

My TWS Track day photos (with write-up for my local car friends cut and pasted here)

This last sunday was my first "real" track day with an instructor. I only got to go to one day, Sat. was Holly's 5 yr bday. I had a blast, and would highly recommend it to anyone. Any kind of car can work, they have helmets you can rent for $5. An instructor rides along with you and you are in a beginner group your first time out (Green group).

Sun. morning session was cold and wet. I thought it was fun - you are still finding the limits of your car, just slower, etc. My car did fine, i used my "drift" experience a few times to keep from spinning as i slid around some. Next session it was almost dry out, i was able to push the car a lot harder. Even though it was my first real track day, i had more driving experience than many others in my group. You only pass when you are "pointed by", this is to keep things safe and you only pass on certain straightways.

I had a lot of fun playing with an AMG Mercedes CLK 63 Black Series. He was faster than me on the straights, but i stayed right behind him on the turns. But, i found the limits of the stock 10.5in camaro brakes. My brakes didn't work very well and i had to start backing off - i almost rearended the AMG when he braked earlier than i expected and my brakes decided not to work. :shock:
After that i took it easier.

My first instructor was happy with my driving and had another instructor take over to "pass" me into the next run group - so next time i'll be in the "blue" run group, which is still for newish people.

I would highly recommend giving this a try.

Photos (there is a photographer at the track who will sell you photos) -

more here - http://www.z28evans.com/album/thumbn...lbum=27&page=5

Here is the Track's link, with schedule, etc. They have the Texas *(is retarded)* World Speedway Performance Driving events about once a month.

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com

I'm going to go to more of these to improve my driving skill - and have Fun!

James
Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Track Day Photos

Looks like fun, where in texas is this? Do you have to have a cage or anything like that. I've been wanting to get my car on a road course but it seems like you have to have a full out race car to get on one. and about what does this experience cost
Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ATX-Iroc
Looks like fun, where in texas is this? Do you have to have a cage or anything like that. I've been wanting to get my car on a road course but it seems like you have to have a full out race car to get on one. and about what does this experience cost
This is in College Station, about an hour from Bastrop.

They have a tech sheet to fill out, basically check your car over for leaks, etc. No cage needed, a stock car is fine. It is setup for beginners, you can borrow a helmet at the track. It is laid back and they let you learn at your pace. There are old people, young ones, women, etc who sign up.

2 days is 295, 1 day is 195, and they often have a work/drive option where you help at the track one day and get to drive free the next.

If you have questions please let me know,

James
Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC & 1968 Nova
Engine: 5.0 TPI & 350
Transmission: 700R4 & powerglide

is your car mini tubbed? the rear tires look huge.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM

no mini tub, just 275's and slightly rolled fender - could run bigger witth different wheels.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula, 79 Trans Am, 72 LeMans
Engine: 305 TPI, 6.6, 350 Pontiac
Transmission: T5, 3 speed, TH350

Looks fun!! May have found a route to go with mine!