Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

I need some wise advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some wise advice.

heheh, its not often anyone says that anymore, but anyways, i am 16 goin on 17 in a mo. I have a job working for a world wide chain makin 6. somthin an hour. My questions are as follows:

1.) Anyone have any ideas of ways to conserve money?

I am looking to buy a 5L camaro w/ a five speed. But i need to know a few things befor i buy it.

2.) should i buy a nice one in fairly nice shape (body and interior) for about 2.5 k, or do i go out and buy a car like (https://www.thirdgen.org/messgboard/Forum2/HTML/003060.html) that needs some tlc. You already know my perdicament with money, so i would hope you consider this in the decision. Any work (except paint) i could do w/ my dad and friend. I know cars like that dont get put in the paper, so how would i get a hold of one.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to read this post and hope you will give me some input.

Old 08-20-2001, 05:24 PM

Another thing, i really want TPI, would it be worth buying a z28, with a carb and swap it with a TPI unit from a junkyard or hell buy a wrecked one, put it in one of those cheap garages where people store stuff, and part it out? And worse come to worse its probibly not a good idea to buy a RS w/ a little V6 right? it would be a little to much work, but if i do, what are the other differences between RS, Z-28, and IROC's? I assume there are suspension differences but is it anything i could swap out. like sway bars . . . hmm nevermind i really want 4 wheel disk breaks, did rs 's come with that? What are the gearing differences in the 5 speeds RS, Z-28, and IROC's? thanks again
Old 08-20-2001, 10:21 PM
Supreme Member

If you are tight on money, you are much better off getting something that doesn't need much of anything in the major parts department. Once you get the car, you'll find insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. will take up most of your remaining money. If the car needs something mechanical done to it that you have done before, and doesn't cost much, then fine. Otherwise, save up and get the best you can afford. Then any extra money you want to spend on it can go into mods to make it better instead of fixing it. Forget buying a car that needs major upgrades like carb or tbi to TPI. You'll probably run out of money halfway through, and the car will just sit (not running). I've been there too often, and this is my advice (though I don't always follow it myself).

------------------
'86 Camaro Sport Coupe & '88 IROC-Z

[This message has been edited by Blue502 (edited August 20, 2001).]
Old 08-20-2001, 10:40 PM

Take it from another 16 year old...get a car that doesnt need that much work. I am 16...going on 17 in November. I received my Trans am as a first car for free. It is a t-top car...which I really wanted. It is also equiped with a 350...which was dropped in by the previous owner. The previous owner switched a lot on my car...which worked out for the best...since my car now looks like an '87 instead of an '83. But....it needs work. I needed to replace the headliner, the seatbelts, and the t-top weatherstripping. I also need to fix the tail lights. It is a nice looking car for my first...but there is better out there. I look at it this way though...I got it for free...so I can put the money I saved into it. Look around...I found an '89 GTA for sale for only $2300...I was going to sell my car for it..but by the time I went back it was sold. My seats are also ripped up..so I was going to buy a new set...but instead I think I am going the cheap way with black seat covers. Truthfully...go with a car for $2500 that you know is in decent or good condition. Otherwise you will be paying either the same amount or a little more...plus a whole lot of aggravation to get the same final product. You might as well get a car that somebody put their sweat and tears into...b/c it just isnt worth it when you are only making 6.50 an hour. I look at it this way..once I am out of high school I will look for a nice project third gen. or a 4th gen. Good Luck.

James

P.S. Nice to know Im not the only 16 year old on this board.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:19 PM

I was 17 when I got my first camaro. It was a V6 but it was free. It got me back and forth to work (making $6.50 per/hr) and in a year I was able to buy my Iroc. Granted I got it pretty cheap ($1500) I also needed to put about $1000 into it to pass inspection. Just by putting a little money to the side each month helped out alot, and when I got my tax return back I had enough to buy the car. Dont forget to take insurance into effect. Im 19 now, been driving for 2 yrs w/ no tickets and still pay $200 a month for liability. I would suggest not going way out on your first car. Buying something a little cheaper now with the money you have, like an RS, ride for about 2 years, and then go looking for that 5L tpi. Also if you can get on your parents insurance that would help. V6 could save you more money each month as well compared to the V8. Good luck with whatever you decide.