Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Non pop-up headlight mod?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt w/eaton posi 3.73
Non pop-up headlight mod?!

Anyone ever here of Breathless Performance Products?? I found an old Pontiac magazine from '02 and it had a headlight conversion from pop up to non pop up lights. I think it looks pretty sweet. Only problem its onlly for 4th gens.
www.breathlessperformance.com

Does anybody make these for the 3rd gen??? Any other thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails Non pop-up headlight mod?!-badassta.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: Non pop-up headlight mod?!

Originally Posted by Pepsicola
Anyone ever here of Breathless Performance Products?? I found an old Pontiac magazine from '02 and it had a headlight conversion from pop up to non pop up lights. I think it looks pretty sweet. Only problem its onlly for 4th gens.
www.breathlessperformance.com

Does anybody make these for the 3rd gen??? Any other thoughts??
that looks bad for the 98-02. 93-97 looks good.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

I think it looks good on any year. Just I haven't found any for 82-92...

And btw, would have answered your question.. Its been covered numerous times. lol
Old 06-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Car: 91 Bird w/Aero Pkg - 02 T/A Col Ed.
Engine: 5.0L - 5.7L Ram Air

I had a car magazine back in the mid 90's that had these for Firebirds and for Fieros. In both cases it wasnt just a simple headlight swap, the kit came with a new front bumper cover for the firebird, and bumper and hood both where required for the Fiero. The kit makes the new headlights set down into the body of the car so the headlight lenses where flush with the hood, so it had to have a big recessed cutout on each side of the bumper for the lights to shine out, like a Camaro has.

If you can picture a Camaro with single headlights on each side instead of a seperate high and low lamp, then put a set of those GTS brand headlight covers on that are flush with the bumper, and fill in the grill so its smooth, then thats what it looked like. In fact the setup made the thing look so much like a Camaro that it kinda killed the look of the car, it looked like some form of wierd half breed. And it made the Fiero look so Japanese that it might as well have had the rising sun painted on the hood.

So they are out there somewhere, or at least used to be, but what they make the vehicle look like might not be worth the hunt to find them. It looks much better in that link you showed with the 4th gen cars since they already have the recess in the bumper to allow the headlights to shine out, but 91-92 firebirds (the pic showed a 91-92 style) dont have any recess at all so it used that new bumper and it just didnt look right to me.

Ill try and photoshop something quick from my memory of what it looked like and throw it on here to give you an idea of the final outcome of the type Im speaking of.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Transmission: Automatic

I normally hate 4th gens (no offense to its fans!) But that one looks damn good!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird - 1998 Z28
Engine: 2.8 - LS1

Ya I've seen the fiero done.. but ive always been curious what a firebird would look like.

A while back i was gonna try and fit a 240sx headlight mod onto my bird. But the 240's headlights are slight smaller iirc
Old 06-19-2009, 03:27 AM

Car: 91 Bird w/Aero Pkg - 02 T/A Col Ed.
Engine: 5.0L - 5.7L Ram Air

Had some company show up so I got delayed on the photoshop headlights. This is about as close as I can get it to the look of them, from what I remember. It doesnt look quite as crappy as the pic in the magazine did, I think maybe the one in the pic had a license plate mount on the front or something. Either way, pretty ugly if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails Non pop-up headlight mod?!-headlights.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89Z28 Vert
Engine: 350/tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

i dont like it, it looks like a bug eyed something but hey keep tring maybe there is something out there that looks really good
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM

Car: 91' bird(WS6>>305TBI), 82'Regal

Originally Posted by Rockyd
i dont like it, it looks like a bug eyed something but hey keep tring maybe there is something out there that looks really good
I agree, but I hate how my bird's lights pop up >> that looks "BUGGY" as well!>> I like How the Iroc's lights are "counter-sunk" How would an IROC front clip look on a 91' BIRD? Just kidding people, but would be interested in seeing in done. Just to see what it would look like........
Old 06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by bitchin_buick
I agree, but I hate how my bird's lights pop up >> that looks "BUGGY" as well!>> I like How the Iroc's lights are "counter-sunk" How would an IROC front clip look on a 91' BIRD? Just kidding people, but would be interested in seeing in done. Just to see what it would look like........
You'd hafta swap the ENTIRE front end, as in hood....fenders....full bumper cover....to do that. Or do a LOT of fabrication.

It would be easiest to remove the pop-up headlights & build in a fixed headlight in that space, like the C6s do.