Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Whats the best way to clean your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the best way to clean your engine?

I want to give my engine a nice clean job. Does anyone have any suggestions? Like what cleaner to use and stuff. Thanks A lot!!

Use your computer to help find a cure for cancer. go to http://www.ud.com then after you sign up join my team. Us third gen lovers have to stick together. To Join my team just click on this link.
http://members.ud.com/services/teams...A-80E46F9D8180

------------------

1988 Carmaro RS

Bustit.Org

To see more pictures of my camaro, go to Bustit.Org and click on the About me page!
GTS Black outs for front
GTS Black outs for back
LeBra bra
K & N air filter
Flowmaster 80 series with Edelbrock Chrome tips
Old 08-01-2001, 09:39 PM

I use Simple Green. It seems to work pretty good.

------------------
1992 Camaro Z-28 5.7L auto t-tops arctic white

1967 Pontiac Catalina 2 door fastback 400 v-8 auto cameo white dark red interior
Old 08-02-2001, 02:22 AM

I use simple green too for all metal parts, then for the plastic and rubber I use armor-all tire foam, it gives it a nice shine.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the help. I will have to try simple green. Anyone else have any advice?

------------------

1988 Carmaro RS

Bustit.Org

To see more pictures of my camaro, go to Bustit.Org and click on the About me page!
GTS Black outs for front
GTS Black outs for back
LeBra bra
K & N air filter
Flowmaster 80 series with Edelbrock Chrome tips
Old 08-03-2001, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Depends on how picky you are and how dirty the engine is. The quickest easiest way I know of that leaves the engine looking almost new, is to take the car to the coin-op carwash. Set it to the degreaser and blast the engine till its clean, then set it to the wax and blast it again. When it dries it'll look almost new. It takes a few minutes, a few bucks, and it gives you a relatively clean engine. Then you can follow up with any serious detailing.
Old 08-03-2001, 11:56 AM

Many people have come to me saying, "After I washed my engine, it does not want to start!" or "My engine is running kind of funny." All of them even went through the trouble of covering their alternator and distributor.

I tell them to wash their engines when they do not plan on driving it for a while...like in the evening, when the car is not going to be used. By the time you wake up, your engine is dry and ready to go. Starting your eninge while it is wet..and with all of the chemicals, may cause your engine to misfire and thorw your computer crazy. Half of the time, your car wont even start, and your stuck at the carwash.

Other than using a foamy cleaning solution, like Foamy Engine Brite, my best advise is to do it when you know you will not drive the car for awhile.
Old 08-03-2001, 01:10 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
I have to agree with Unmarked Vehicle's statements.

Do it in the evening and let the car sit till the morning.

If you're like me and are one of those who likes to show off a clean purdy car right after a wash and wax by driving it a little around town then I'd have to suggest the following.

Clean the engine the night before you plan to wash & wax the car.
This way you already have a nice clean engine and the car is ready to be washed the next day.
Plus it keeps you from wanting to drive it because it's dirty.

For those of you who spend most of a Saturday or Sunday cleaning a car...

Also a simple solution.
Clean the engine first and then wash and wax the car.
Also only clean the engine when you know you are going to wax the car.

By the time you are done washing and waxing the engine should be pretty dry.

As for products.....
The simple green I have never tried, but I've seen many people on here comment how great it works. I'm gonna have to try it myself.

I use the cheapy engine cleaner from Walmart. Comes in a spray can and costs something like 79¢. The stuff works really great and is really good if you have or had a oil leak somewhere.

Then I use Mother's products for the hoses and plastics under the hood.

------------------
91 Mystic Teal RS Convertible. 305 TBI, Auto, stock.
125,000 miles and still going strong.
Only minor mods planned for the near future.
Like headers, flowmaster exhaust, some ignition mods, K&N airfilter, Perhaps a chip if needed.
Waiting for the motor to blow up so I can install a ZZ4 crate motor. Let's just hope it don't blow up too soon.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 749 Posts
Let the car sit overnight to dry off and anything unprotected metal is going to rust. Just don't spray heavily at the air intake, the distributor, the alternator, and the various weatherpak connectors and its fine. You don't hear about people having problems when they drive thru rain and such do you? The engine is pretty well protected from water, from the factory.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-5
I use simple green after the engine has almost cooled off, let it sit for 5 min. then hose it off with low pressure, I have never covered the dist. and I don't get the alternator wet and it works good and never fails to start and run good. I know if you use the high pressure washers the pressure can get into the stock weather tite connectors because they weren't designed to withstand high pressure, just splashing, and the water can stay sealed up in there for a long time and cause corrosion.

------------------
92 Camaro RS 5.0 5-Speed (Quasar Blue)
T-Tops
14" Open Air Cleaner
3.08 Posi-trac
Edelbrock TBI Intake
Crane cam
Ported & polished stock heads 3 angle valve job
HyperTech Chip
SLP Headers (Ceramic Coated)
UltraFlo cat-back exhaust

74 Dodge Dart Sport 360 (11.2 1/4 mile)

2000 Dodge 1500 Ram Sport
Old 08-03-2001, 08:06 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Th700R4 Jr. Raptor
Does simple green work good on aluminum?

I have heard that engine cleaners which contain chemicals that strip aluminum work best, it takes a little layer off, to make it look shiny and new. Does simple green do this well?

------------------
1986 IROC Camaro
305 TPI "LB9"
3.23 gears
Doesn't know enough about cars.
AIM: jesusathome