Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Pros and Cons of Chrome, Polish, and Silver Rims??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T-56
Pros and Cons of Chrome, Polish, and Silver Rims??

Ok...i will be going either with the Y2K Corvette Rims...ZR1 rims...or Z-06 rims (the ones I am leaning more towards) They come in Chrome, Polish, and Silver....what are the pros and cons?? Does polish look like chrome?? Here is what im thinking...dont know if its right or wrong...first..silver...I like...but I think I would get tired of them..and will want something like chrome or polish...so I probably wont go with those...polish...dont know if they are like chrome...and if they are clear coated...that may in time start to peal off (like my current rims)....with chrome...they would look nice...but doesnt the chrome plating start to flake off after time? And when that does happen...wouldnt it be cheaper to repolish and clear coat the polished rims...rather than going and replating the chrome rims? Help me decide...thanks...oh and by the way...I will repainting my car as well...probably a dark blue color...and using either black stripes with black decals, or white or silver stripes with white or chrome decals. Thanks

------------------
1992 Teal Camaro RS
T-Tops
305 TBI V8
Open air element
3" Flowmaster Exhaust System w/Quad Tips
Aiwa CD/Mp3 player
10 Disc CD Changer
Rockford Fosgate Speakers
SLP Headers Coming
Dynomax High Flow Cats Coming
More to come.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Triple chrome plating (show quality) will take a very long time to peel & flake and would be the most durable finish, with the least maintenance.

Polished wheels look very near chrome but the ones you would be buying would probably have a clear coat.... which would be fine for quite a while. But then to do any "serious" maintenance on them would require stripping the clearcoat and buffing the aluminum.

You might check to see if the polished aluminum is clear "powder coated". That would be more durable than conventional clear coat.