Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Vote - With or Without Wheel Spats

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Vote - With or Without Wheel Spats

Originally Posted by 1982TA
I've asked him multiple times and he doesn't want to do it at the present. If you guys can convince him otherwise, I'd be all for it!!
But why? Is it too early? I think all of us should convince him.

Last edited by allenfre; 11-25-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77

A while back there was a thread on here where Hawks was supposedly going to reproduce these. I think someone was going to give him a set to reproduce, and there was a bunch of people who were interested, myself included. I don't know if they had a group buy going on or what, but it seemed like there wasn't enough people to get the job done because of cost. I think he said initially the cost would be high to get them done right. I'm not 100% sure though...like I said it was a while ago. You might still be able to find the thread on here. I got in kind of late in the game but I had emailed Bruce a few times about the subject. At first he didn't seem to remember, but then I believe he later told me about the cost and amount of people. I think he also had some other projects going on at the time so he was busy. Maybe if we get enough people interested he would be willing to do it. I know for a fact that he can do it... it's just getting him to do it. It seems like there are a lot interested in the spats and spoiler package...maybe more so than the last time. Maybe we should get a list of people who definitely want these and pass it off to Bruce and see what he thinks. Ultimately we need enough people to make it worthwhile...this is one reason it fell though before.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

I sent an email to Bruce to see if he would be interested if reproducing these...
I'll let you know the details when I get a reply.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Car: 1992 Z28 Vert. 1 of 1254
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Oh boy, here's my opinion and it probably won't be very popular, but here goes anyway...These original cars and parts won't be rare and interesting if they are reproduced and become common in the aftermarket....I guess I'm a purest and have never been a fan of people making their cars into rarer models or installing rare options, I think it takes away from the interest of the originals. There are several examples of this happening in the past with many models, the ones that come to mind are the 55 T-bird kits, Shelby GT kits, and the fact that there are more 1968-1972 Camaro SS's, Chevelle SS's, GTO's, and GS's running around now than were ever built. Personally, I like the rare things to remain rare, I'm not a fan of clones, especially when they are portrayed as the real thing. Where's the interest of these things if everyone has a car with these on them? Customized cars are really cool, but I really question clones and how they impact the hobby. It is my belief that an LS-6 Chevelle SS clone made from a stock Malibu definitely takes away value and interest from the originals. Camaro's and Z's are the same way. My vote is to NOT reproduce these things and keep the interest on the originals.

OK...off my soap box now....no rock throwing please!

Last edited by z-man92; 11-27-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Zman,

So, to my understanding of your post. You're actually offended that someone wants to replica a body part off of a 1988 base model firebird?

I can see your detestment of the first mod to almost every first gen camaro (an SS badge), but this is clearly not even in the same league. This isn't a rare 89 TTA, a 91 1LE or players club car. This is a BASE MODEL 3RD GEN FIREBIRD. Relax. It's not like guys will buy these spats once reproduced and claim they have a base model, when they really have a trans am.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z,96 Vette
Engine: 350 5.7 Liter
Transmission: 700r

keep them
Old 11-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355

Originally Posted by z-man92
Oh boy, here's my opinion and it probably won't be very popular, but here goes anyway...These original cars and parts won't be rare and interesting if they are reproduced ..................
Oh boy indeed. Rare? no. Interesting? Definately!

There are several examples of this happening in the past with many models, the ones that come to mind are the 55 T-bird kits, Shelby GT kits, and the fact that there are more 1968-1972 Camaro SS's, Chevelle SS's, GTO's, and GS's running around now than were ever built. ..............................
Clones running around, yes. So what? You dont like seeing nice cars or something?

Where's the interest of these things if everyone has a car with these on them? ................................... [B]
This is kind of an oxymoron. If they werent interested, why would they have it?

It is my belief that an LS-6 Chevelle SS clone made from a stock Malibu definitely takes away value and interest from the originals.
This couldnt be further from the truth. Ever own one of these types of cars? My old GS used to have an original GS grill (plastic) and a steel hood. I was repeated offered $1200 for both parts, and i always refused. You can get a cheap fiberglass replacement for much less, and Repo grills for cheap, but the real ones go for ALOT!

Have you tried to buy a GSX or Chevelle SS lately? Sure dont look "devalued" to me.

The reason these cars get cloned is because the guys and girls that grew up with them, always wanted one. Witha 1970 GSX for example, where there are less that 70 known models left, not everyone can own one, no matter how rich they are. If you did own one, youd never want to drive it either. Thats why there are clones.

But like ian said, basemodel bird. How much value could it lose
Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

I vote keep em.

And, if they do green light a repop put me down for a set. I'd ditch the rain gutter GFX for those in a heartbeat.

They could also look really good on a SC Camaro.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Supreme Member

To the poster about cloning and reproduction parts... If these get reproduced, I'm sure they will be in limited quantity and in all honesty, there isn't a huge following for these parts. Unless they go into regular production...which I doubt, they aren't going to take away any value. Also, I'm not trying to clone an '88 firebird with these...I like the look of them because it resembles a 2nd gen. I have an '82 Trans Am and I have been wanting these since I found out about them. I just think my TA would look bad *** with these because I want to make my car look like a throwback to the second gens, sort of like a "what if" type of scenario. Complete bandit style...since my car is already black and gold. Basically I want to make a few customizations. Also, my car is missing the cowl tag, had the original CFI 305 removed, and the dash wiring is all hacked up. My car will never get back to it's originality, but I can try to acquire the parts and make it stock appearing, but also do some things to make it unique. It definitely wont take away value from the original cars...like someone else said, they are base models anyway. Also, if you can't get parts anymore, wouldn't it be nice to get some repros? There is very little aftermarket support when it comes to thirdgens when compared to 2nd gens. Do you know how hard it is to find descent parts for my '82?? Also, doesn't Year One pretty much have every part to build your own 69 camaro, body and all?? I don't see that taking away from the originals.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I have been searching for a set to find for my car... so obviously i would say keep them. I am not a huge fan of the spoiler, but I do love the side spats, how do they look from behind?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by allenfre
But why? Is it too early? I think all of us should convince him.
I just got a message from Bruce, and it seems he is willing to reproduce these. He just wants to know how many people are interested in putting a deposit down. He didn't give me a figure yet, but I asked him so I'll let you know when I do. I figure the more people, the better the deal so if you are serious let me know and I'll get a list
Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto

Keep it stock, keep them!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I would be willing to put my name on a list to get a set of these depending on the price...
I would not be willing to put a deposit down because depending on the build quality would be if it was worth it or not. If he needs a list of people interested let me know, (just for the sides, not the spoiler)
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 1988 SC Convertible
Engine: LT-1
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi w/PBR's

Originally Posted by 1985WS6transam
I would be willing to put my name on a list to get a set of these depending on the price...
I would not be willing to put a deposit down because depending on the build quality would be if it was worth it or not. If he needs a list of people interested let me know, (just for the sides, not the spoiler)

+1 for me.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

I'm still waiting for his reply as far as deposit/price goes... I understand about the build quality so I don't know how Bruce is going to go about doing it. I don't know if he is going to make a set first and see how they turn out and go from there or what. I can ask him and see how he wants to do it. I was thinking about seeing if he would just to the spats and not the spoiler. It seems most people dont' really care for the SAP spoiler and it might be cheaper in the long run if it's not included. I'm sure some people will want it so I don't know. Maybe he can fabricate a 5" one like he has for the Camaro. I think those would look better, but those are just my thoughts. When I get more info I'll pass it along.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

I sent a message to Bruce about deposit concerns and quality of the product. I mentioned just making the spats minus the spoiler, which would probably save on cost. I asked if he could do a version of the 5" spoiler for the Firebird. I made note of the 2 members that are interested also. I also was thinking if this should be made into a new thread...just for people who are interested in getting these made. If I put it in group buy, it might not get a lot of views by people on this thread so that is my concern. Maybe a new thread could be started in the appearance forum where it could get more views. Mods...would this be a problem? If anything I guess we could just keep this thread.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

I like them but...

They would only work on Birds with no fx...I'm not giving up my fx to run the rear spats, even they (I'd only want rears) would look great with wide rear tires.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

so far only 2 people said they would be interested...I thought there were more in this thread that wanted these. There is an opportunity to get these, but more need to let me know. If not, it wont happen.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Berlinetta
Engine: Megasquirted TPI
Transmission: Transgo 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

If they work for camaros, and depending on how much the deposit is....
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L +bolt ons
Axle/Gears: Moser forged, 3.73, SLP posi

Gross.
All it needs is rear window louvers, AC/DC stickers and rust weight reduction.
Got mu!!et?

Maybe its that they should fit better, match the paint, and have more oldskool wheels.....

I like the spoiler though.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: Twin Turbo crate 350
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: still workin on that

sounds to me like you just need to take em off and get a 2nd gen. remember 2 is always better than one
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: '91 TA vert
Engine: turboLSx
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by FYRCHKN
They could also look really good on a SC Camaro.
Now that could be cool...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fords88Bird
I've got an '88 Bird with the Special Appearance Package (ducktail spoiler and wheel spats) I think it looks just OK with the wheel spats. I always liked those on 2nd Gen Birds better but what do you guys think on mine. Later.
IMO definitely without. But it's your machine. Do what you like.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 305TPI
Axle/Gears: 2:73 posi

Originally Posted by 1985WS6transam
I have been searching for a set to find for my car... so obviously i would say keep them. I am not a huge fan of the spoiler, but I do love the side spats, how do they look from behind?
Right!! I need pics from the rear. Doesn't change my opinion though, they look great IMO and would look better with some big wheels that stick out just a little bit so that the spats cover them perfectly
Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I think in all honesty to leave them off since it is a rare piece,but its very easy to copy them if you know how to work with fibreglass and wax molding in your own garage and some spare time.If it were me then I would for sure make copies of the originals into wax /gelcoated reverse molds and see how many copies i can make off of that before the mold starts to tweak apart and sell them off to those who want it.Even use a set of the copies and put them on your car and since its a fibreglass copy..you can tape the car..place it on..and even fine tune the gaps for a near seamless fit since every car wont always be perfectly aligned in body panels.Also if you or anyone else who bought a copy from you directly wanted to customize it to a different shape or shorten it etc..simply cut off what you dont want..smooth the edges,slap some bondo over it.sand it perfect smooth.primer it and paint it.its not hard to produce those if you have the originals and they are in good shape..and you wont damage them either if you take your time.Id be able to have the molds made by hand in a day,and have a set of the copies by the next day.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28 (sold)

OMG OMG OMG

ive been looking for pictures of these for so long. definetly keep them! you dont know how lucky you are to have those. please take more pictures, i love those wheel spats!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Car: 87 TA
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: LSD

Definitely keep them, we have a chap in our club who's converted his 3rd gen into his own Bandit version and these would be the icing on the cake.

http://www.poc-uk.org/mc/images/mc7.3.jpg