Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Recommend me a paint job!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 FFI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Recommend me a paint job!

I have a black hardtop 89 Iroc-Z
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...p/DSCF3675.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...p/DSCF3673.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...p/DSCF3671.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...p/DSCF3662.jpg

It is in desperate need of a new paint job. Don't let the pictures fool you. I had just washed it and it was soaking wet in some very good light.

I want to keep it black. other than that i am totally open to suggestions. I also will change the hood to make the look, because im wrestling with myself over the hood at the momment. I plan on keeping the Iroc wheels, but they will be stripped, polished to perfection, and re-cleared with nice shiny new tires so yea.

i really like stripes. I was thinking silver or white or like a lighter grey to match the wheels. I really don't know what i want though.

Please advise me!

Thanks
~LMSkyliner

edit: I have roughly $3000 to work with. ALL prep work will be done by myself. I also will buy the paint myself, take the car apart and tape it up etc etc. Basically, the only time anyone but me will touch this car is when someone is spraying it in the booth about 5 mins down the road.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 Gm H.O
Transmission: 700r4 built
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Locker
Re: Recommend me a paint job!

Black with the ram air hood and true blue stripes on the ram air, and 3 inch true blue stripes along the side following the door line that comes to a point at the front. Just an idea. Or you could go for the baldwin motion look and stinger hood.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by IROCJoyce
Black with the ram air hood and true blue stripes on the ram air, and 3 inch true blue stripes along the side following the door line that comes to a point at the front. Just an idea. Or you could go for the baldwin motion look and stinger hood.

I forgot one thing. No Ram Air hoods. I hate em'.

I don't mind the stinger hoods so much though (arn't they called "big block"?).
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

One of the cooler things I've seen on a black car, was the whole car was done in metallic high gloss black, and then a center stripe was done in non-metallic semi-gloss, so it was just slightly different than the rest of the car. It was really subtle, but really cool.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by campin1983
One of the cooler things I've seen on a black car, was the whole car was done in metallic high gloss black, and then a center stripe was done in non-metallic semi-gloss, so it was just slightly different than the rest of the car. It was really subtle, but really cool.

I have NO idea how that would look

maybe I'll have to break out the photoshop
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

It was ultra subtle, there was clearcoat over all of it, it was just enough to give the car a stripe down the middle that was barely noticable.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Too many cars

I would paint it back to the same color, leave the hood, polish the rims. You'll get more compliments, then you open the hood & show them the LS7 motor...lol. Basically stock with a LSX motor & 4th gen interior.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by karl's-92'-z28
I would paint it back to the same color, leave the hood, polish the rims. You'll get more compliments, then you open the hood & show them the LS7 motor...lol. Basically stock with a LSX motor & 4th gen interior.

the sleeper look hm??? I was thinking about that.

I was already going to go full 4th gen interior out of a black TA or SS/Z-28.

only problem with what you explained is that i'm building a super TPI with the FIRST system, not an LSX. But 400hp/500tq is 400hp/500tq no matter how you swing it, and who would expect those ponies from a TPI based engine?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Thier you go..I think the slightest yet subtle mods are the best, like another member on here replaced his wing light with an LED model from an Astro van. Clean yet subtle, & if someone knows their 3rd gen they will notice of the bat. Like 4th gen door handles fit perfect on 3 gens, it doesn't have the indention on the handle like ours, its all smooth. Little things like those mak people wonder what else you did.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by karl's-92'-z28
Thier you go..I think the slightest yet subtle mods are the best, like another member on here replaced his wing light with an LED model from an Astro van. Clean yet subtle, & if someone knows their 3rd gen they will notice of the bat. Like 4th gen door handles fit perfect on 3 gens, it doesn't have the indention on the handle like ours, its all smooth. Little things like those mak people wonder what else you did.

plus thats the cheapest way to do things and im on a strict budget

I was also thinking of some white or silver hockey stripes on the black no matter what hood i had, but I thought thoes might only look good on 91-92 bodies so i wasn't sure what to do there.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: carb 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Thats gorgious man, IMO i would keep all the factory body panels and the stock hood or paint both hoods and keep the iroc one in the garage. I would repaint in a deeper nicer black and put the factory IROC pinstriping and decals back on. It's rare that you see a factory looking iroc and its amazing when you see one in prestine condition. I remember a couple summers ago when i was in my teens everyday after work i saw this IROC that looked exactly like yours but in tip top shape and thats what basically got me stuck on camaros. I think that the way our cars were made is the way they basically should stay gm designed these cars perfectly.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by creepingdeath
Thats gorgious man, IMO i would keep all the factory body panels and the stock hood or paint both hoods and keep the iroc one in the garage. I would repaint in a deeper nicer black and put the factory IROC pinstriping and decals back on. It's rare that you see a factory looking iroc and its amazing when you see one in prestine condition. I remember a couple summers ago when i was in my teens everyday after work i saw this IROC that looked exactly like yours but in tip top shape and thats what basically got me stuck on camaros. I think that the way our cars were made is the way they basically should stay gm designed these cars perfectly.

thats going to be done either way. the only variables are the hood and any striping
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

I say keep the body stock for now, save your $$$$ & put it in the motor. The looks won't make it go fast. I would redo the body stock & concentrate on brake, suspension upgrades if your gonna put a radical motor. Once that is all done & if you have left over $$$ then you can shop for a hood. For a hood I like the SS style with a Hawks 5" spoiler
Old 05-11-2008, 04:52 PM

i sprayed this real quick just to get it clear.

I have my opinion already but i don't want to influence anyone so what do u think.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

ehh... I think stripes look better when they are heriatge stripe style. That wouldnt look bad though.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JohnC
ehh... I think stripes look better when they are heriatge stripe style. That wouldnt look bad though.

well look at those stripes with this in mind:

the black is faded. poor quality. the silver is fresh and new.

also, the blue stripe is setting off the silver. it would be gone or silver when the cars repainted.

also, im simply not skilled enough, but the final version would have the second, thin, boarder stripe on it.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Hahaha looks like a skunk , personally I think the stripes would look better on a different hood, maybe a flat RS hood, a lil wider stripe something that would match the grill openings more if your going the full stripe route. I say Black car, charcoal gray stripes. Something like this, He's a memer on here

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...257959_181.jpg

As for me I would do 1 thick solid stripe down the middle, just in between the headlight buckets.

Last edited by karl's-92'-z28; 05-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45

First step, if its an 89 IROC then get the correct 89 IROC rims, the ones on your car are the 87 and older rims.

As far as paint goes, stick with solid black and get rid of the rocker stripes, door bump strips and if you want the IROC logos on the door. A solid black camaro looks so nice its crazy. If you really want a stripe I always thought it would be cool to do a single wide stripe right down the middle like the Grand Sport Corvette. For a black car red is the best stripe color followed by orange IMO. Red heritage stripes also dont look bad. If you want to change the hood either the SS or a cowl look the best.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 88blkiroc
First step, if its an 89 IROC then get the correct 89 IROC rims, the ones on your car are the 87 and older rims.

As far as paint goes, stick with solid black and get rid of the rocker stripes, door bump strips and if you want the IROC logos on the door. A solid black camaro looks so nice its crazy. If you really want a stripe I always thought it would be cool to do a single wide stripe right down the middle like the Grand Sport Corvette. For a black car red is the best stripe color followed by orange IMO. Red heritage stripes also dont look bad. If you want to change the hood either the SS or a cowl look the best.
I have no intention of changing to the 88-92 rims. I am more than aware of the fact that they are 85-87 Iroc-Z rims, and i like them best of any rim on the third gens. They stay.

And yea. my opinion, which i formerly withheld, was that i didnt like the stripes and was going to stay solid black.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 (sold)

anything but stripes on the bumpers or roof!! hood and decklid is fine
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Black looks the best on Camaros, red on Firebirds IMO. One of the ideas I have been toying with for my Camaro is to paint it all black and then paint the regular stripes with the borders in a red metallic flake. Not a red paint with metal flake, but just the metal flake using red flakes. I think it would be subtle but when the lights hits it they will sparkle nicely. A close second is all black, no stripes but to do the hood louvers and ground effects in the same red metal flake.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Car: 2015 Chevy SS
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E

Originally Posted by campin1983

I'm trying to do that on my 86 once I get around to the body work. Its a sport coupe but I'm going to add the iroc gfx and flat black stripes. I did a crappy photoshop for you: