Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

How do I use compounds and buffing wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10
How do I use compounds and buffing wheel?

So I recently got some compounds and wheels to do some buffing and I realized I really don't know how to do it.. I have a bench buffer much like a bench grinder and a variety of wheels. I have three wheels from rough to soft. I have the following compounds, black emery, brown tripoli, red rogue, and white rogue. Is that the order in which I use them? Do I apply the compounds to a rag then the metal then buff or do I apply the compounds directly to the buffing wheels? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
COTM Editor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA
Re: How do I use compounds and buffing wheel?

Sounds like your going to have a bunch of shiny stuff! Experimentation is the best advise I can give you! You will find that for each type of metal, and finish on the said metal that you will need a different formula for best shine. Some people have different methods.

I don't use a pedastal mount wheel, but I really like a 10" cotton sewn wheel with RPM of 10- 12k. I mainly use my Formax Black emery on almost everything due to quick cutting, and great shine in one step. You will apply the material directly to the spinning wheel and hold it there untill you start to see melted chunks coming off the wheel. (make sure your wearing crappy clothes, have a face mask, and eyeglasses.... gets very dirty) I usually try to let the wheel spray some of the melted material onto my piece, so its not just wasted going onto the floor. I use lots of small squares with a back and forth motion, and on flat pieces try to always have the wheel turned in one direction so any slight streaking that may appear is uniform. Don't worry about the material build up around the edges, you can clean that up when your done. If you are getting really smudged material everywhere you put the wheel, its probably getting TOO much material on it and needs to be cleaned. used a flat blade screwdriver (unless you bought a wheel cleaner in your kit) and hold against the spinning wheel untill you see the wheel become clean and loose again (cotton will usually fly). Load the wheel and start again. When your all done and the piece looks great, get a spray bottle of gasoline and some clean rags and wipe the whole part down. You will be amazed at how much brighter the shine will be and the gas will eat any material left in the crevises. After the gas I use glass cleaner, then a coat of wax. I wish I could load some pics from my phone of a project I am doing on a jet boat right now!! SWEEET!

Trial and error is all there is with it, and HOLD ON TIGHT to those parts. PM me with anymore questions!