Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Need Help Buffing in time for a Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Yukon 3.73 posi
Need Help Buffing in time for a Car Show

So I'm in the process of trying to get all the swirl marks/ cobwebs/ light scratches out of my car. Its a 1991 T/A GTA and the color is "Bright Red". It is obvious the car has been re-painted but a long time ago and the whole car is orange peeled pretty much.

I have removed the old wax and the car is all clean and ready for some buffing. So far Ive tried 3 different buffing compounds (2 different turtle wax's and one mothers) with an electric buffer. But NOTHING seems to work, I've gone over the area multiple times and it seems like nothing even touched it; if anything its gotten worse.

If you guys could recommend a certain technique, product, or applicator that would be great. I've buffed/polished/and waxed cars and boats before but nothing seems to be working. This is the first time I've tried buffing this car since I got it in November.

In mid-may I am entering in a local car show for charity and I'd like to have something at least presentable for the show, The car doesn't have to be pristine (although thats what they really want and 90% of the cars there are), but it is for all cars of interest no matter the condition. I would like to represent our cars well though.

I know the car needs new paint badly but I really don't have the money for it right now, especially for a showroom quality job that it deserves so please don't suggest a re-spray.

Thanks for all your support in advance,
It's going to a good cause

Josh

(pictures of said awful paint can be taken at request)

Last edited by crazyman3737; 04-05-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt
Re: Need Help Buffing in time for a Car Show

Maybe you could try wet sanding it and then buffing that will get rid of most of the orange peel
Old 04-06-2008, 06:53 AM

I was thinking about that but it seems that it would be a lot of work and I don't have a clue how to do it.I also feel that if I cant get out the scratches now then how would I get them out after I sand it.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 AM

that same thing happened to me with the bright red until yesterday when i used bc-1 and bc-2 by auto magic that stuff worked great for me
http://www.automagic.biz/
Old 04-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac

Do not wet sand unless you have experience doing this. It is very easy to burn through the clear. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of the orange peel is wet sanding.

As far as the swirls/scratches, if they are not coming out, you are either not using an aggressive enough pad or swirl remover. What kind of buffer are you using and pads? Sounds like you might need a compound first then have to follow up with a polish.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM

im using a large craftsman buffer with an applicator pad (the pad is pretty aggressive and the buffer is not good quality but I have no $)

I also have wool pads of different thicknesses (i guess thats what i would call it) but I'm pretty sure that would not be good for buffing

I started using Mothers Scratch remover and its ok but I have to buff it at least 6-7 times before it gets somewhat acceptable.

I'll put a couple pics up of the pads and compounds im using right now.

(im using the blue pad and the mothers)

I think I'll be OK now but I would like to know if you all think I should use that polish after I'm done buffing. The mothers bottle says just go straight to wax
Old 04-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Car: 1981 Chevy Malibu, 1987 Formula 350
Engine: 229 V6, L98 TPI 350
Transmission: TH350, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt ???, 9 bolt 3.27 posi

You probably won't get the results you're looking for with what you're using. To really get rid of the swirl marks and light scratches, you'd need to use something like a Porter-Cable 7424 with a fairly aggressive polishing pad and a good polish. The turtle wax stuff sucks IMO, and I havn't used that particular Mothers, but is it designed for machine application or is it more for hand application?
Keep your eyes open on ebay/craigslist for a porter cable random orbital machine buffer, its well worth the money IMO
Old 04-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Car: 1984 T/A WS6
Engine: L69 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: fact G80 with GT4 3.73

Originally Posted by speedingpenguin
You probably won't get the results you're looking for with what you're using. To really get rid of the swirl marks and light scratches, you'd need to use something like a Porter-Cable 7424 with a fairly aggressive polishing pad and a good polish. The turtle wax stuff sucks IMO, and I havn't used that particular Mothers, but is it designed for machine application or is it more for hand application?
Keep your eyes open on ebay/craigslist for a porter cable random orbital machine buffer, its well worth the money IMO

agreed

to be honest with u... i know u said u were allittle broke right now, but a professional could do ur whole car for about 80-150 bucks. and he would have atleast the 7424. and don't take this the wrong way,but as agressive as u need to be right now. i would worry about burnning the paint. i consider myself about as good a buffer as u,but even i would go the proff route at this time. i'm sure u would be pleased. if they say they couldn' do it without wet sanding it, find out how much.

u still have alot of time between now and may. just my
Old 04-06-2008, 05:23 PM

I think I may just save up to buy the 7424 if it really is the best out there for buffing/polishing. I found this kit for $200 and I'm wondering if something like this is good because I'm not sure what pads are available for it.
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/portercablekit.html

I think I'll finish up the doors/quarter panels with what I have to get some of the major scuffs and swirls out and throw some wax on until the weekend before the show. (If I end up getting the 7424 since it sounds like a decent investment).
Old 04-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Car: 1987 Iroc-z
Engine: Swapped into a 350TPI
Transmission: T-56 Six Speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3:42 Gears

Crazyman3737-
Take it from someone who has been buffing "profrssional". LET SOMEONE ELSO DO THE JOB.....To get the results that you want it will be crutial to use a buffer(Makita, Dewalt...rotary buffer) The item you have is a Random orbit...that will do a amazing job at a "showroom" shine...but you need to have the scratches, blemished removed..or what a buffer will do is remove a VERY small amount of clear coat and acutally spin it over...blending it if you will. The second importaint thing will be the chemicals that you are using. The ONLY products that I use are Meguiars...both their detailer and professional line.

Honestly with the money that you would spend on the proper buffer, chemicals, pads.....to start I would say you'd be at about $170-$200. Then you have to trial-and-error with the paint...then you can risk swirl marks....it would be a good idea to have someone else buff it then, it is only waxing maintenance....let me know what you decide
Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM

I decided to finish buffing the car but only go over it once (that way it was all even). Then I put some wax on it and am calling it good until I get the money to get it professionally done. It has a real nice shine to it but you can still see small swirls when you look at it at the right angle/ light.

Thanks for all you help.