Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Calfornia duster left red fuzz residue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305, hopefully 350 or 400 soon
Calfornia duster left red fuzz residue...

I have used the Calf. Duster and it seemed to work great! Took off all the dust and did not scratch the paint. But once I applied my wax for the first time (Meguiars Gold Class) the applicator turned red do to the red fuzz residue from the calfornia duster. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? I then was thinking maybe it was because I used the duster before I ever waxed the car. The car was just painted in June 06 and I put the first coat of wax on in October 06. The painter told me to wait like 5 or 6 months before waxing so the paint could fully harden, so I did. Well now I am trying to see if I should use a clay bar to get the paint to smooth as glass finish, and to get rid of any other red fuzz or any other residue. But I never used a clay bar so I am a little scared. Is it okay to clay a paint job that is only about a year old? Just a little hesitant due to not wanting to ruin the paint that I just paid for just over a year ago. Any suggestions or similar problems. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Car: '89 formula,'88 Iroc
Engine: 350,305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Calfornia duster left red fuzz residue...

you gotta wash the car again to get any wax or other residue from that duster off. use a good quality soap. none of that dish soap crap!!!! meguiars has some nice product for all kinds of finishes and colors. use a shammy cloth to dry the car. do NOT use terry towels if you want to use towels use microfiber towels. okay now you want to get a bottle of mothers california gold showtime instant detailer spray. this removes alot of stuff, water spots slight dust, that kinda thing and leaves the paint smooth as glass. spray in small sections and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. after that you can wax the car. you can use this after the car is waxed to remove water spots or road dust from driving it's great product. I use it on my rides.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM

Car: 1983 Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305, hopefully 350 or 400 soon
Re: Calfornia duster left red fuzz residue...

Originally Posted by chevhedz28
you gotta wash the car again to get any wax or other residue from that duster off. use a good quality soap. none of that dish soap crap!!!! meguiars has some nice product for all kinds of finishes and colors. use a shammy cloth to dry the car. do NOT use terry towels if you want to use towels use microfiber towels. okay now you want to get a bottle of mothers california gold showtime instant detailer spray. this removes alot of stuff, water spots slight dust, that kinda thing and leaves the paint smooth as glass. spray in small sections and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. after that you can wax the car. you can use this after the car is waxed to remove water spots or road dust from driving it's great product. I use it on my rides.
Thanks for the reply.

I have washed the car a bunch of times already and have used Meguiars Gold Class Soap and conditioner and I like it alot. I do dry my car with a Microfiber towel and that seems to dry with no fuzz. I also have Meguairs Quick Detail Spray and have used that until I just got Meguiars "Ultimate" Quick Detail Spray and that stuff works better than the other stuff. As I am applying the spray my car feels smooth as glass but once I feel the paint with just my hand it feels a little, I mean little rough. That is why I was thinking about using a clay bar. I have heard good things about Mothers Showtime spray but I got a gift bag with a bunch of Meguiars Gold Class stuff in it and fell in love with their products. But I do use Mothers aluminum polish and power ball to get the wheels polished.