Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Paint coming off of car when I wax??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Red 87 IROC-Z28 T-Top
Engine: 5.7 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: BW 9-Bolt 3.27
Paint coming off of car when I wax??

I have been using the same wax for a while and it was a b***h to get off once applied although it made a nice shine. I tried this different wax that is alot better to get off of the paint, but doesn't make the paint shine the same.

The only thing that when I use this other wax, when I take it off of the car, the towel is the same color of my paint and it only seems to be doing this with this wax!! Any ideas??
Old 04-28-2001, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a decent basecoat/clearcoat 2 stage paint job you won't lose paint like you describe. So you've gone complete through the clearcoat in places and you're now pulling up pigment. Maybe you've been using an abrasive cleaner-type wax that wore away the clear coat over time - too much waxing is not a good thing. Or, you've got a cheaper one-stage paint job with the pigment right there on the surface - and again you're using an abrasive wax that strips the top layer of whatever's there.

I'd go easy on the waxing and switch to a pure non-abrasive wax or wax-substitute.
Old 04-28-2001, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:59 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
I disagree with the earlier post. I don't remember what year the cars went clear coat, but I think it was 86. Pre 86 cars had the older paint style. If you do use a harsh polish, it will remove the oxidation buildup which is more than likely what you are experiencing. A few good coats of a good wax will help. I had an 82 Z28 that was red. Everytime I waxed that car, the red would appear on the wax applicator and also the towel. It was common for older cars with this paint style. I don't know why you haven't seen it before.

------------------
87 IROC 350 TPI with less than 10k original miles
www.users.uswest.net/~smoyer/iroc.htm
Northstar Camaro Club of Minnesota
Old 05-02-2001, 12:19 AM
Administrator

My car doesn't have the stock paint on it, it has already been painted and looks new!! When I use that wax only it does it, when I use the other it doesn't!!

[This message has been edited by IROCZTWENTYGR8 (edited May 01, 2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 10:04 PM

I would probally say you are just pulling up some oxidation, the other wax probably is more of a deep cleaner. For instance I use my spray on stuff dri-wash not paint on towel. If I use the cleaner I will have paint on towel. just my 2cents

------------------
http://sites.netscape.net/bulldogfrazier/homepage
+
http://www.fracoinc.com/

Keep your ride shinning with pride
Old 05-03-2001, 03:27 AM

Is the repaint a base coat/clear coat or an acrylic enamal, or other. The clear coat is pretty tough stuff to wear through. I would have to agree with those saying you are just pulling off oxidation. I remember waxing a red car that was a '90 or so model. The towel would look orange after I finished.

I do have a couple of concerns though. How long did you wait after the repaint to start waxing? Are you using a power buffer to apply the wax? And if so what kind of pad are you using? Some pads can cut through a paint job quickly.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:59 AM

i detail cars and it is oxidation buildup from what i hear,i did a car recently that was not waxed for quite some time and faded with lots of visible oxidation buildup,i waxed it and it turned the terry cloth red because of the thick layer of oxidation,you could actually see the pitting from the film eating in the paint from all that buildup, make sure when you wax her not to forget the jams,water gets trapped in there,i always wipe mine down after i wash it but doing the trunk and door jambs with a nice coat of wax really helps alot as these gms rust from the inside out if the jams arent waxed and wiped after its washed,just a tip. www.rearman.com/camarokid.htm
Old 05-08-2001, 01:53 AM
Administrator

I'll give u guys some more information. This car looks new!! It is always clean, and I mean always!! It also did it more on the hood than anything else. Maybe this will assist some.

------------------
89 RS

Looking For:
87 IROC-Z28 350 TPI
Old 05-08-2001, 02:51 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IROC KID:
i detail cars and it is oxidation buildup from what i hear,i did a car recently that was not waxed for quite some time and faded with lots of visible oxidation buildup,i waxed it and it turned the terry cloth red because of the thick layer of oxidation,you could actually see the pitting from the film eating in the paint from all that buildup, make sure when you wax her not to forget the jams,water gets trapped in there,i always wipe mine down after i wash it but doing the trunk and door jambs with a nice coat of wax really helps alot as these gms rust from the inside out if the jams arent waxed and wiped after its washed,just a tip. www.rearman.com/camarokid.htm</font>
what r jams?