Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

WHATS THE BEST WAX FOR A NEWLY PAINTED BLACK CAR

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHATS THE BEST WAX FOR A NEWLY PAINTED BLACK CAR

I NEED TO KNOW CAUSE I JUST GOT MY CAR BACK AND IT LOOKS GOOD IT HAS CLEAR COAT FINISH AND ITS BLACK SO I WANT TO GET A REAL GOOD SHINE OUT OF IT AND I NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP WATER SPOTS OUT OF IT THANKS FOR THE HELP. also any tips to keep the fine scratches out of it would be great also

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi ascd ram air hood GT AUTO 4th gen spoiler black paint with blue pearl centerline champ 500 16x8 all around potenza 245 50 16 on front and 27x11.5 16 mickey thompson sportsman pros on the rear(real sticky!!) msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light A pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter vette servo custom ram air system with a 9" K&N cone filter tb coolant bypass slp runners polished plenum and runners 170* thermostat smog pump and a/c delete plus cat delete march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it) aluminum drive shaft
best 1/4 mile run of 14.44@ 96.53
this run is before the new exhaust system new sticky tires coolant by pass smog removal new runners new thermostat and new three core radiator since i would get to the line and be well over 220* aluminum drive shaft and vette servo
Old 04-25-2001, 12:43 AM

for the best, you do not want wax. try www.zainobros.com . other than that, i personally dont like anything but 3M products.

------------------
92 Formula L98
96 Formula- FOR SALE
99 Trans Am

www.zainobros.com
www.greatbrakes.com
Old 04-25-2001, 01:39 AM

what bout mothers products? i just want something that wont leave swirl marks and i need something that will help with the fine scratches that show so bad on black cars thanks

------------------
1988 firebird ws6 formula350tpi ascd ram air hood GT AUTO 4th gen spoiler black paint with blue pearl centerline champ 500 16x8 all around potenza 245 50 16 on front and 27x11.5 16 mickey thompson sportsman pros on the rear(real sticky!!) msd 6al box blaster 3 coil accel 8.8 race wires hooker shorty headers hooker cat back system pro shift light A pillar gauge pod and water temp and air/fuel ratio gauges autometer oil pressure gauge b&m mega console shifter vette servo custom ram air system with a 9" K&N cone filter tb coolant bypass slp runners polished plenum and runners 170* thermostat smog pump and a/c delete plus cat delete march underdrive pullies, tpis airfoil cvr high torque starter (love it) aluminum drive shaft
best 1/4 mile run of 14.44@ 96.53
this run is before the new exhaust system new sticky tires coolant by pass smog removal new runners new thermostat and new three core radiator since i would get to the line and be well over 220* aluminum drive shaft and vette servo
Old 04-25-2001, 02:19 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mother's wax is crap. Everything else that Mother's makes is fine, but the wax is chunky, crumbly, smelly, goes on hard, comes off harder, and is actually yellowish on the car. That was the first product I used right after I got my car painted (black PPG base/clear). Then I went to Meguires, and was pretty happy with it, but their 3-step only sounds like 3-steps. It's actually, something like 8-steps and you start to get really tired after going over the car the fourth or fifth time (if you're not using an orbital buffer, in which case you get tired of changing bonnets).

We're not recommending Zaino just for fun. It really is good stuff. That Z5 really does make the fine scratches disappear on a clearcoat paintjob.

To keep off water-spots, don't park near sprinklers, wipe off the car after rain, don't wash the car in direct sunlight, and don't go more than three weeks without washing (try to keep it around one week).

** The following information is for the extremely **** **

You won't be able to keep the fine scratches non-existant, because anytime you rub anything on your car, you're creating them. But to keep them managable, only use clean 100% cotton terry towels to wash and/or dry. Wool will scratch the clear. The Absorber is good for drying without scratching, but keep it clean. If you ever DROP anything on the ground, don't use it again until it's been washed. Grab another towel. For this reason, buy like three large-sized bath towels, and several smaller washcloths. Wash in the straighest lines possible, don't make circles. This way the little swirl marks that will eventually start appearing will be easier to fill/polish away, and don't look as awful while they're there. Sing to the car while you wash it. It'll make him/her feel more relaxed and won't freak out when you start washing the undercarriage. Okay, just kidding about that last.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:27 AM

Zaino.

Make sure you always have clean 100% cotton towels when polishing and washing your car. Cheap towels will scratch your paint.

Make sure the paint is clean before you touch it with anything. Dirt will scratch.

------------------
88 IROC convertible
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 04-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Banned

Meguires "car show" wax I think it's called is the one I use. Recommended for newly painted cars. Comes in a yellow bottle. I'd wait a week or two before waxing, although it's probably already ready.

I don't think you need Zaino yet. How can it make the car look better than it does now with new paint? I think you see my point. The only reason to use it now would be for the UV protection it gives.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I disagree about not using Zaino right away. My painter was knocked off his feet when he saw my car after a coat of zaino. He was so impressed he bought half my stock from me, and now Zaino every car he paints.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:40 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
Personally, I LOVE ZAINO! I use it all the time, and the stuff lasts forever.

Although, I don't know what is wrong, but I have about 3 coats of Z5, and I still have swirl marks. Anyone know if there is anything else I could use to get them out? Zaino doesn't seem to be helping me here.

------------------
Third Gen Project
1989 305 tbi Camaro RS Red/Red
Ram Air II Hood
Centerline Champ 500 Rims
Edelbrock Open Element
MacEwen White Faced Guages

"Stock?! Theres nothing "stock" about a stock car."
Old 04-25-2001, 12:40 PM

Ive never tried Zaino but ive tried just about every other kind of wax and mothers is hard to get off but when you get it all off it shines great and i thought it took off swrils.

Only thing i dont like about Zaino is it says to get good results use all the things which comes out to be quite a bit of cash
Old 04-25-2001, 03:54 PM
Mo

whatever you use (i use Zaino for whatever its worth -- can't get all the swirl marks out either) don't do anything to it for a couple of weeks or so, thats what I was told when i got my car painted.

------------------
90 IROC 5.7l (L98)
ram air, K&N's, air foil,Flows

LIKE A ROC
Old 04-25-2001, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1991 Firebird
Engine: 355 TPI, 3.1L V6
Transmission: 700R4 in both
MEQUIARS SUCKS! Looks good when you're done but doesn't last long! Use Zaino on your car! 3M is good too but I only use that because I have heavy oxidation on my car and the 3M works wonders for oxidation problems!