Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2001, 08:05 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel

Okay, I painted my entire car with Dupont Cenatri Acrylic Enamel (Its an one stage paint with gloss hardner added). I have a bunch of questions for anyone who knows or cares to answer.
As far as i know because of the instructions on the can you are not supposed to have to wetsand or clearcoat acrylic enamel. I followed all the directions and am 90% satisfied with the result but it is no where near as glossy or reflective as I want it to be.

1) CAN I wetsand with 1500 grit and buff with polishing compound, or is this a no-no with acrylic enamel? If not, why?

2) If I can, Can I wetsand, buff, prep-sol and then clearcoat? OR do I just wetsand and clearcoat?

3) It is a custom mixed color that a buddy of mine mixed up for me when he worked at automotive body supply warehouse. If I need more paint for touch ups. Is there a reputable place, preferably one that someone has used or has seen written up, where I can send color chips (scrap sheetmetal sprayed with the same process as my car)that can
custom mix and recreate my color in acrylic enamel? My buddy no longer works in the industry and has lost contact with his contacts.
Thanks for any replies.

------------------
1983 T/A LG4 w/T-tops
Rebuilt/Modified E Q-jet
Custom Dual Ram-Air
Self painted cherry red w/ restored black/grey interior
Welded Comp Eng SFC
Tokico Struts/Shocks
Hotchkis LCAs and Panhard Bar
Energy Suspension bushings all around
Old 04-15-2001, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car was recently painted with the same thing, only black.

I let it sit for 6 weeks because I went out of town to work, then wtesanded with 1500, buffed it with compound, then buffed again with 3M ultrafine for dark paint.
I don't remember the numbers on the compounds, only that the first was a cream color, the second dark grey. I couldn't beleive the shine I got!

I'll try to get the compound numbers in a couple days if you want them, & here's a couple low quality shots of the car:

It's filthy nin the second one, but you may be able toi see the shine. This is with no polish or wax at all, just buffed.

I can't help on the other questions, sorry.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:09 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Thanks, that looks really great, exactly that quality reflection/gloss I'm looking for. So I can wet sand and buff acrylic enamel. When you get the chance I would like the compound numbers. No rush, as I have to start wetsanding.
Anyone know about the clear coating for extra protection and the custom color mixing?

[This message has been edited by Nightcruzer (edited April 15, 2001).]
Old 04-16-2001, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK here's the scoop:
I wetsanded with 1500, then used 3M PERFECT-IT rubbing compound,#05974 on a white foam pad, washed it good, & buffed with 3M PERFECT-IT 05996 glaze on a black foam pad.

The glaze I used is for DARK paint, for light paint use 05995.

I forgot to ask about the clearcoat, but wouldn't it make sense that you could use a Dupont clear acrylic enamel, over the paint that's on it, then colorsand & buff the clear?

You could call an auto paint store & ask, I'm sure they'd know.