Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Wash before using car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70
Wash before using car cover?

I just have a very general question about car covers but I couldn’t seem to find an answer when searching.

When using a car cover, do you have to wash the car before you put the cover on? I would think that you would have to or else the cover would rub the dust on the car and scratch the paint or is that not true? Wouldn’t the dust also collect on the underside of the cover and cause scratches later? I can wash my car and then take it for a 20 minute drive and when I come back there will be a thin layer of dust on the back bumper and behind the rear wheels. Does this need to be washed off before the cover can be put on? My car has still has factory paint but it is very nice and I don’t want to scratch it. What do you guys suggest? I know a garage would be best but I can’t find a garage to rent for less than $100 a month here in Buffalo and I don’t want to spend that much. Does anyone here rent a garage and if so how much do you pay per month?

I have been looking into some car covers and apparently the Wolf car cover with the NOAH material is supposed to be really good. I found it for $150 on summit. Is this what you guys would recommend? It would be for summer use only. I will be putting the car in storage during the winter. I want the cover to keep the water off but also allow it to breathe so it doesn’t destroy the paint. Also do car covers help to block UV rays or help to reduce the inside car temperature when sitting in the sun? Sorry for the long post, any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85' Z28
Engine: 383 roller
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.70
Yes wash it. Its also nice to uncover it and have a nice clean car too
Old 03-29-2006, 08:26 PM

Car: Trans AM
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Transmission: W/C T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open
y not get a car port? but if u must use a cover, wash and wax it and u should be set, every once in a while just pull the cover off and either rewash or dust the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Auto
The cover you mention is an excellent cover and will go a long way to help protect your car's finish.

My Camaro sits outside too (3 cars, 2 car garage, Camaro is the least valuable of the 3 cars, so.....) and I use a cover very similar to the one you're looking at. I do also use a California Duster before putting the cover back on to remove the dust, and I'll even use a quick detail spray if need be. I am also meticulous about how I remove and install the cover, never letting the outside surface touch the inside surface when folding it over to take it off the car. Think about it - the thing sits for a few days and the outer surface gets covered in dust. If I'm picky about dusting off the car after I drive it, why would I let the dusty outside rub against the comparitively clean inside?

Since I don't drive this car all the time, I find that if it's really clean and we get rain while the cover is on, I can let it dry completely and still have a clean car under the cover.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70
Well I probably won’t be able to get a car port since I live in an apartment complex. So every time I drive the car I’m supposed to wash it before I put the cover on? That would be a real PITA. Can I just get one of those dusters like Mike mentioned to brush off excess dust before I put the cover on? I’ve never used a duster before but wouldn’t that scratch the paint? Also what does this detailing spay do that Mike mentioned?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Car: 85' Z28
Engine: 383 roller
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.70
Well since your taking it off and on all the time, I would invest in a real good one. If it gets real dirty, just don't put it on until you wash it. The california dusters are the cats a$$ though, I have one for the exterior, and a smaller one with a pointed edge for the interior.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:04 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Auto
Originally Posted by vbMike
Well I probably won’t be able to get a car port since I live in an apartment complex. So every time I drive the car I’m supposed to wash it before I put the cover on? That would be a real PITA. Can I just get one of those dusters like Mike mentioned to brush off excess dust before I put the cover on? I’ve never used a duster before but wouldn’t that scratch the paint? Also what does this detailing spay do that Mike mentioned?
The duster is fine for removing a days worth of dust, and a quick detailer used with a microfiber towel will help get rid of fingerprints and any dust you might miss with the duster. Quick detailers are almost like a spray wax, but don't really offer any protection like a wax does. The bottle may say it does, but it doesn't - bottom line. They are great for lubricating the paint surface to remove surface dust, fingerprints, etc. Make sure to use microfiber towels though. Both items can be bought at Target, KMart, Wal-Mart, any auto parts store, etc from brands like Meguiar's, Mothers, Eagle One, etc.

If you drive in the rain and car gets really dirty, leave the cover off until the next time you can wash the car.