Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Protecting paint while traveling...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting paint while traveling...

So here's the situation. My brother, a bunch of friends and I may be going to a carshow towards the end of July, its supposed to be a big carshow, but its like 2-3 hours away and we have to drive the cars there. Now, the car I will be driving is pictured below, its my brothers but Im taking care of it for the summer because he has his gta, flyinlows old car. Anyways my concern is this, this car is white and the paint on it is pretty much perfect, its never been driven on the highway or anything, Im really hesitant to drive it that long of a distance without something to protect the paint from rock chips and bugs. Any ideas guys? Ive heard of ceran wrap does anyone have any expierence with this? What about buying a bra to put on it just for the trip? The only thing that worries me about that is small scratches from taking it on and off, what do you guys think? Please give me some ideas here! I really want to go but dont want to risk hurting a 4k paintjob! Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2002 SS
Engine: Ls1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 posi
lol like this (alittle fun at my school)
Attached Thumbnails Protecting paint while traveling...-swrap2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2005, 06:25 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 383 C.I.D.
Transmission: 700 R4
I work @ an RV manufacturing plant and when the motorhomes are complete we wrap them with this plastic that sticks onto the fresh paint by static. Its crazy stuff, you just cut it with a razor and it applies alot like thick saran wrap. I have also seen it @ dealerships on new cars that have just arrived and I'm thinking you could probably get it there. And it wont hurt your paint at all...........you could do the whole front end and hood. You could do the sides to protect your car from your own tires as well ( as I imagine you dont have mudflaps). the roll @ work is like 3 feet wide.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I also so this stuff on the hoods are cars going to a dealer ship.. it looked like a white material static stuff
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Trans Am "GTA"
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Go buy a car bra, clean the front real good & put the bra while you drive the car.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:08 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Don't buy a bra! The bra flapping in the wind will scratch the car more than just driving it. Even if it's clean!

Just drive the car. I drove my IROC 1600 miles from Minneapolis to Ann Arbor Michigan and back in 2002. It went thru Minneapolis, St Paul, Madison and Chicago, during rush hour. Last week I drove the car to Atlanta from Orlando, another 450 miles each way, thru rush hour traffic and construction. I received no stone chips and I drove 80mph the majority of the way. Stay away from cars and trucks and you'll be fine. Leave plenty of room between you and car in front of you. Stone chips only come when a thrown stone hits the car.

BTW, both of those trips awarded me a Best of Class award.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:56 PM

so do you think that I could get that stuff from the dealer? Would it be possible to use ceran wrap? Im just too nervous about it to tell you the truth, and the roads around here are awful and full of construction.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:49 AM
dr1

Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5
dont drive it, get to the show and show everyone a picture of the car, with the 4k paint job, that you were too scared to drive to the show, cos you couldnt find enough saran wrap to cover it in

but im sure they will understand, me though im laughing right now
car shows should only allow cars that get f*cking driven, id love that ;P
the rest could get put in an art gallery somewhere
Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Rent a trailer borrow a s-10 from a friend , put a car cover on it, tie it down. And call it a day
Old 06-04-2005, 02:04 PM

are you being serious? There is no reason to start being like that, I guess you are right, I should just drive it 200 miles and not care about the paint at all, let it get chipped up and ruined right? What do you suggest ? There really is no need to be like that, I am asking an honest question and nobody else had anything negative to say, so what is the big deal? Look at every other reponse, they all had something nice to say and were trying to be helpful, and look at yours. Do you have a real expensive paint job on your car? I bet you drive it all over the place dont you? All Im saying is that a car that isnt even driven in the rain, Im kind of hesitant to drive it that far in fear of hurting something. Sorry for going off like that, but I love this place and most of the people here, its just comments like that that are unnessesary. It if isnt helpful, dont say it. period.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:11 PM
dr1

Car: '89 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Well, thats my advice, sorry you didnt like it
but it sounds perfectly legit since your too scared to drive it.. and your the one who brought up saran wrap... was I supposed to just let that pass me by??
im glad your car is pretty, but... mmmmm.... maybe im tripping, but I think its still a car
if you spent your life savings on that paint job or something, well, your mistake, if not get the thing out of the garage and enjoy it.. for gods sake

i just have more respect for cars that get driven.. different kinds of people I guess, anyways... trailer it like everyone else at the car show.. thats your only safe option
I can understand not wanting to do any damage because its not your car

And no, the paint on my car sucks, and my passenger fender is wrecked.. but i drive the hell out of it, and id drive the hell out of it with a 4k paint job too.. though obviously I wont be paying that much for paint in the first place
'show car' people im just never going to understand, so Ill try and refrain from bringing you all back to reality in the future, heh..
(maybe someday when im rolling in the big $$$ ill understand the fun behind building show cars)

Last edited by dr1; 06-04-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: Automatic
personally i would just drive it there but if u REALLY dont want to take the chance, get a trailer. rent one, borrow one from a friend, whatever. my stepdad trailers his 69 camaro to tracks and its not a show car. actually, now that i think about it its probably more tha its not street legal than that hes worried about scratching the paint. lol
Old 06-04-2005, 11:25 PM

trust me the car gets driven and doesnt just sit in the garage, but there is a big difference between driving a car around town and to local shows then driving the car 6 hours round trip on the highway. Obviously you drive the hell out of your car, that is probably why it is in the shape it is. I think if you really did spend that kind of money on your car you would be a little more hesitant as well. If the car wasnt so nice, I wouldnt be so concerned.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Originally posted by crazy3rdgen
Rent a trailer borrow a s-10 from a friend , put a car cover on it, tie it down. And call it a day

Goodbye nice paint.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
Get a trailer from u haul its like 50 bucks a day or find a friend i wouldnt trailer mine on anything open long distance but for your situation it would be better than driving it.

Or www.haulmark.com
Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
People put this 3M masking tape on thier cars when they auto-x and road race. it doesn't damage the paint and comes off pretty easy leaving no residue I believe.
It's usually blue in color.
here is a buddy's car with white colored tape,
Attached Thumbnails Protecting paint while traveling...-11247cf_ci_vi_2005brian_at_auto_x-med.jpg  
Old 06-05-2005, 03:31 PM

hmm thats an idea there zepher, thanks alot!