Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

B4C Deer Hit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B4C Deer Hit

I had just finished basically restoring this 1 of approx. 160 5spd B4C police camaro. I had it sold and was going to deliver it on Sunday. I had just left dads shop tonight after doing some detail work to it and about 5 miles down the road a pregnant deer (at least 215lbs) ran out in front of me @ about 65mph. I am fine, as you can see in the attached pics, the car is not. One pic of before and one of after...I think it is totalled, and I am pretty bummed about the whole situation. I really liked this car and think it was going to a good home. I know the insurance company is going to fight me on this, any ideas on the actions I should take?
Attached Thumbnails B4C Deer Hit-small.jpg  

Last edited by IROCFAST; 05-13-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:01 AM

after...ouch! I hate deer.
Attached Thumbnails B4C Deer Hit-05_12_05_2202.jpg  
Old 05-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
did it move the strut tower on that side? does the doors still open and close freely? what does the gap between door and fender look like? what does the a-pillar angle look like? does the pass side window close all the way? the car looks saveable in that picture, but need to know the stuff i asked in order to really tell.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Precision Red Firebird
Engine: v6->357 vortec xe262h rpm intake
Transmission: t5-> t56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 3.42s
ouch. i hope you can save it.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:23 AM

My dad runs a body shop and from what I can see, it may be able to be fixed but the time, money, and effort may out weigh it. The core support is rolled up and back at least a foot, the pass side apron rail is pushed back and out quite a ways, the pass fender is pushed back into the door and A-pillar. It also appear that the winshield has a stress crack in it from the car flexing. The front bumper, spoiler, hood, hood hinges, latch, air intake, intake panel, headlights, buckets, etc will all need replaced for sure, and that is just off the top of my head looking at it in the dark without even opening the hood. I have not had the hood open yet but I think some of the accesories will be smashed. The front bumper is pushed so far down on the right side that the core support is visible through the drivers side headlight bucket. It is actually pretty bad, I will try to get better pics in the daylight.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
that car is so rare that i would like to hear you try to fix the car, regardless of the time and money put in. buy i do understand how lack of time and funds will put a damper on a git-r-done demeanor. update us with some new pics and a final word on what your gonna do when you get the chance. good luck brother.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:59 AM

Damn, you ripped her right open, I take it that corner pretty much hit the gut of the deer? I always figured hitting a deer would take out its legs and put the body through the windshield.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '83 Berli, '84 Berli, '84 Z28 HO
Engine: L69, LG4, L69
Transmission: TH700-R4, TH700-R4, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.08, 3.73 Posi
that doesn't look so bad. I have had a 4x4 truck run over the corner of a camaro and had that fixed. so i am sure if you had the time and money to invest into the car it could be fixed.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 AM

Car: 84 Camaro. 90 integra
Engine: LG4, 1.6 (402hp)
Transmission: 700r4, JDM ITR w/ kaaz LSD
Nope... We hit a deer in a buick grand national back in...96 it did the same, but we fixed it.. Dang tho man... i would try to save the motor or sumthing. how much were you selling it for? if cheap (I HOPE NOT) then maybe part the trans and motor???

----Good Luck man----
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.5L Iron Duke 4 cylinder
Transmission: 5 speed manual
man that's sickening. I'll really be looking forward to deer hunting this year.

That was some impact man. I hope that the car is salvagable. If not Im sure you could part the car out and make some decent cash off of it.

Sorry about the loss.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
Sounds similar to what happened to 86FyrBrd when he took his car out for the frist time after it was down for 6+ months. Hit a deer the first night.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
Originally posted by billsfirebird
man that's sickening. I'll really be looking forward to deer hunting this year.

That was some impact man. I hope that the car is salvagable. If not Im sure you could part the car out and make some decent cash off of it.

Sorry about the loss.
yeah get those darn deer back for getting hit by our cars
Its their damn faults for dying bc we were PROBABLY going too fast in a non lighted area and didnt stop soon enough

if you had your brights on and were taking it easy in the speed zone then youd have seen the deer up ahead and had ample time to slow down...

im not at all saying thats how it went bc i know that thats not always the case but i believe it is a lot of the time

im not an animal rights person or tree hugger or whatever i just think its dumb that ppl are blaming the deer
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM

I was doing about 55-60 mph with the brights on, the deer came up out of a ditch, lined with high grass, at a full sprint. It was completely unavoidable. But then again, I guess the two that have ran into the side of two of my vehicles while driving, were avoidable also, if I were obeying all laws.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Car: 1992 RS
Originally posted by GodSpeedGTA
yeah get those darn deer back for getting hit by our cars
Its their damn faults for dying bc we were PROBABLY going too fast in a non lighted area and didnt stop soon enough

if you had your brights on and were taking it easy in the speed zone then youd have seen the deer up ahead and had ample time to slow down...

im not at all saying thats how it went bc i know that thats not always the case but i believe it is a lot of the time

im not an animal rights person or tree hugger or whatever i just think its dumb that ppl are blaming the deer
i feel very bad for what happened but i also feel bad for the deer. accidents happen and i am sorry that such a bad thing happened to such a beautiful ride but the animals are not always to blame...in fact most of the time its not them that i would say could have prevented accidents like these from occuring. good luck with whatever you decide to do with your car and i am glad to see that you are ok.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.5L Iron Duke 4 cylinder
Transmission: 5 speed manual
I'm very thankful that I haven't hit any deer to this point. I've had several near misses where I've had to smash the brakes. I live out in the country and I see deer quite often near the road. You really have to keep a lookout intently to avoid a collision.

In the case with IROCFAST, it was unavoidable. I've traveled the interstate where the center median was really over grown, a small doe popped out of the tall grass and I thought for sure I was going to hit it. It ran out and hit the pavement and i couldn't get any traction, so it was basically running in place like a cartoon character as I was barrelling down on it They blend in with their surrounding very well too.

Praise G0D you werent injured, from the looks of the damage it was quite an impact.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:44 PM

Hats off to country insurance so far for getting the adjuster there quickly. It is a total, he stopped counting at $5400 worth of damage. Now I have to wait for claims to say how much they are going to give me for it. Hopefully I can buy it back.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Car: 92 Camaro (R)eally(S)tock
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto 700r4
Horrible....especailly on that white car.

Time and money usually are limited. But do you really want to part it out or have it crushed?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:02 PM

Car: 86 iroc. white.
Engine: goodwrench 350 (stock for now)
Transmission: monster trans 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 ( want 3.73s , gimme a holla)

and the deer was pregnant too. poor thing. i mean, i hate how the deer pop out of the woods too, but i still feel bad, especially since it was pregnant.

good luck with the car.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:19 PM

I did feel bad about that...as if enough wasn't enough.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Car: 94 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: GU5 3.23
Hey man, think about it this way. YOU'RE alright. How many people die every year because of that same situation? It's such an unfortunate accident but you got away from it on your feet. I would value my own life before worrying about the cars. A crapped out motor can always be replaced - but it's not always that simple with ourselves...
Old 05-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
Originally posted by IROCFAST
after...ouch! I hate deer.
holy shiiit!!! **** ahahaha thats fawking krazy!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car
Insurance will usually pay what the car is worth. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If they don't offer as much as you were planning to sell it for, you can get a notorized letter from the buyer you had lined up stating the price he was willing to pay prior to the damages. If they verify that information, they should be willing to pay up.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:04 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: Automatic
Originally posted by scottmoyer
Insurance will usually pay what the car is worth. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If they don't offer as much as you were planning to sell it for, you can get a notorized letter from the buyer you had lined up stating the price he was willing to pay prior to the damages. If they verify that information, they should be willing to pay up.
^-- Yep!

Sorry to hear all that man. At least you got away uninjured tho. And there's no reason not to blame the deer. They're dumb creatures that have a habit of bolting out in front of cars and causing crazy damage and deaths.

I know how it is, around here we have rediculous amounts of deer and no matter how careful we are, my family still ends up hitting a deer every once in a while.

Too bad, it was such a nice Camaro too. So much potential. Salvage what you can and good luck.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: THE LT1 SWAP SHALL BEGIN!!!!
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: LSD! =(
I just made this! This is for all F-BODY owners have suffered from this situation!

Enjoy!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Its gonna be hard to get the insurance co to pay what the car is actually worth. I once sold a 92 B4C for $7,000, and recently I got my hands on another one that I plan to sell for $7,000+ (hoping for $10,000).
Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: Future: LSX Turbo
Transmission: built T-56
Originally posted by IROCFAST
I was doing about 55-60 mph with the brights on, the deer came up out of a ditch, lined with high grass, at a full sprint. It was completely unavoidable. But then again, I guess the two that have ran into the side of two of my vehicles while driving, were avoidable also, if I were obeying all laws.
maybe next time you should read the entire post i wrote especially the parts i put in all caps so you wouldnt take it the wrong way (which you did to no surprise of mine)

nvd ill re read it back for you

and i quote
"if you (a generality to the previous line i wrote) had your brights on and were taking it easy in the speed zone then youd have seen the deer up ahead and had ample time to slow down...

(heres the best part!)

im not at all saying thats how it went bc i know that thats not always the case but i believe it is a lot of the time"

Personally, i dont do anything over 40-45 MAX if im having to use my brights to see up ahead bc i know im in a wooded area and i know its likely for nocturnal (PTS) animals to be on the roads at night

but i have had a racoon try to duck under my car in the pitch black while i was going about 35 mph and he just couldnt get his head under the sway bar in time...felt bad bout that little guy

Last edited by GodSpeedGTA; 05-13-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Godspeed, I am completely not in the mood to argue. If you have never hit a deer, then you are lucky or live in an area where they are not very heavily populated. A deer can run about 30mph and when it appears (coming out of the ditch and tall grass, was not aware of the ditch) about 5 feet infront of you, I don't care if you are only doing 40mph, you are going to hit it. Laws of physics will prevail. I did not take it wrong, but that is like saying, if you are driving @ 40mph and a car is stopped at an intersection that you have no stop sign at, if he decides to pull out when you are 15 feet away, you are not going to get stopped or avoid him. So I guess I am in the mood.
I am not blaming the deer, it is just a dumb animal. I am upset about the car but it is great I am ok and no one else was injured. Hopefully things will work out.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
Damn I am glad I live in the desert. It sucks to here of your loss, but I don't think that is totaled in my opinion. Call me morbid, but please tell me you euthanized the Deer after that? Its inhumane to leave a creature like that.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 PM

one more
Attached Thumbnails B4C Deer Hit-smallhit.jpg  
Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 PM

There was no need to. It was dead on impact, I am 99% sure it did not suffer. If you did see the car in real life, you would see what the adjuster is talking about by it being totalled, both apron rails are bent, the core support is pushed back about a foot and rolled over, pass fender is pushed back into the A-pillar and over the pass door. I have more pics but there is a 3 pic limit. Even the drivers fender is bowed and pulled out away from the door.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:35 PM

Car: 1982-z-28.1987 sc
Engine: 350 on z-28,305 on sc
Transmission: bw t-10 on z-28,700r4 on sc
oh man,that was bad.i really hope you dont scrap that beauty of a car,it looks fixable from what i can see in the pics.and the fact that it is a b4c makes it even more necessary.
please dont scrap it
Old 05-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I just wanted to say, if its in your best financial interests, dont be afraid to scrap it. I remember people screaming bloody murder at me when I talked about possibly modding my old B4C and I really didnt like the pressure everyone was putting on me. Do whats best for you in your situation.

Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 05-13-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:36 PM

Time to part it out. Car won't be the same. You'll still make some nice coin parting it out. Oh, and if you do, sell me the chin spoiler.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1986 Camaro SC (Supercool)
Engine: one composed of various metals
Originally posted by Third
Time to part it out. Car won't be the same. You'll still make some nice coin parting it out. Oh, and if you do, sell me the chin spoiler.

yea, Ill go in for the hood...I need something with a little more airflow.....ok Im sorry that was wrong, but I know your pain....2 cars in two years for me because of those stupid animals
Old 05-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Ouch!! Looks about like my First Camaro a 92 25th Annivesery....only with more gore since it looks like you splattered the thing.

As for the being able to aviod hitting deer...well you either can or not regardless of speed...I've only every hit one....I've had 5 hit me jumping into my doors or fenders(wish I had a pic of the one that had its face pressed up against my Drivers side Window as it slid along the glass...). Honestly its good that you werent hurt since with how low the hood line is it didnt come through your front windshield.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
We've hit six deer in the last three years. I hit one last month, looked like a horse standing broad side in the road. Hit the brakes, knew it was too late, jerked the wheel, caught the deer on the right corner, went down the road doing donuts at 60 mph. Came to rest on the four lane facing the wrong direction, semi and a car went around on each side. Took me five minutes to be able to talk. Got lucky this time, the plastic nose needed repaint and a new signal light. Hope you hunters work overtime next deer season, poach one now and then too. I'm sick of those animals!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:21 PM

Car: 91RS_92Z28
Engine: 5.0_5.7
Transmission: WCT5_WCT5
Axle/Gears: 3.08_3.42
Deer are not stupid. Sometimes animals just can't take it anymore and commit suicide. I've seen happen more than once.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2012 Nissan Leaf
Engine: 80-kW AC synchronous electric motor
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: n/a
in most cases noone has any time to react when hitting deer. the one close call i had i was doing 45 and saw it in time, it froze in my headlights and i slammed the brakes and TURNED OFF my headlights, as soon as they were off he went running. they freeze in the lights. turn them off and they can see you again. a good thing to keep in mind if you are as lucky as i was too get some think time.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Car: 91 Firebird, white
Engine: L03 :(
Axle/Gears: 4th gen, 3.23
Ouch man. Such a rare and nice car...

I would get it fixed if at all possible. No doubt that it has frame damage, obviously needs a new hood, and maybe engine stuff (not sure)...but for a car like that...

On a related note, I have to say I'm impressed with how well (relatively) the car held up after hitting a ~200lb deer at 65MPH. The nose isn't even smashed in...the passenger cabin looks intact...No doubt if it were a little tin-can econobox, it would have been much worse.

For a car based on an almost 25-year-old design, it's good to know that it's somewhat safe, at least in a front impact.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Z28
Engine: Tree Fiddy (modded)
Wow dude, I woulda got out, and kicked that deers a$$.

Like seriously what a f ag
Old 05-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Originally posted by 83_Camaro_83
Wow dude, I woulda got out, and kicked that deers a$$.

Like seriously what a f ag
Honestly judging from the amount of blood and whatnots in the first pic....I would be surprised if he could find the ***....
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Wolfpack
Honestly judging from the amount of blood and whatnots in the first pic....I would be surprised if he could find the ***....
Well, then, kick its......remains......

and LMAO Psycho_91Camaro nice pic
Old 05-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Coulda been worse....

Shotgun...

Last edited by 83_Camaro_83; 05-15-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: A4
Damn that is a sad sight! That is why hunting is GREAT!!!!!!!!!

PETA sucks! lol
Old 05-15-2005, 05:14 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Someone please lock this thread.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Man that sucks bad... If the person driving that thing lived, it would be a miracle...

WOW...
Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this! That car was definitely one of the great ones here on TGO. Unfortunately, silly arguments got thrown in with pics which don't relate to this thread, and I got asked to close it. So down it goes.

I hope you make out ok with the insurance, IROCFAST. You should be able to buy it back since it's not under any bank loans like a new car. They'll give you a hard time about it, but stick to your guns and you'll get it back. If you decide to fix it, I hope to see some progress pics in a new thread soon.