Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2000, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlights

Does anyone know of a company out there that makes Firebird composite headlights? Or something of the sort. I am not talking about homemade ones, talking about professionally done ones that attach to the stock mounting and everything and use Halogen or something headlight bulbs?
Thanks a ton,
Douglas
Old 12-23-2000, 03:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: Built 383 TPI
Transmission: Built 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27:1 Posi
I got 'em. Go to any "rice" shop. The big square ones are the ones. One size fits all.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
Old 12-23-2000, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One size will not fit all. Some firebirds have different doors for their headlights, the differences are suttle, but they are size related, ensure that you get the ones for your bird. I have a pair that will not fit into mine, useless!.

just my $.02

take care
C
Old 12-23-2000, 12:30 PM

I think the message was read wrong, I meant fixed mount ones. I hate the pop ups and I made custom fixed mounted ones, but I'd really rather have a professional done pair, like the ones that are on the K1 kit car for the Camaro and Firebird.
Sorry,
Douglas
Old 12-23-2000, 01:09 PM

Somebody here had made a really nice looking set of fixed headlights for 'birds. They didn't look like any cheap home made parts either. In the pics he posted hte area around the headlights was painted yellow so it would stand out more in his pics. Anyone remember who that was?
Old 12-23-2000, 01:29 PM

LOL, Andy, are you kidding? Those looked like crap! Have you ever seen pics of them up close? Are they where was yellow things, covered in plexiglas that was SCREWED to the nose! Then he stuck a pair of fog lights in each side! I was not impressed with his....
Old 12-23-2000, 07:25 PM

Heh, matter of taste. Except for the yellow color I thought they looked pretty sweet. Then again, I think pop-up headlights are one of the worst things to ever be installed on a car, so anything that gets rid of those is an improvement in my book. :-)
Old 12-23-2000, 08:47 PM

Okay, Andy, you got me there! They do look *better* then the stock headlights, though if it was smoked plexi I think it would look a lot better. Yeah, Firebird headlights are among the worse, which is why I immedaitely set out on making mine non-pop up, but I'd really like a set that looks kinda like the newer 3000 GT and Dodge Stealths, that kinda smooth composite look.
Thanks,
Douglas
Old 12-24-2000, 12:09 AM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
all firebird headlights from 82-92 are the same...except for the headlight motors. from 87-92, these motors got smaller, and also were wired differently. also a differnety bolt pattern and bolt length. you can swap out the motors if you wish and mod the wiring with relays,(which I did)
that headlight conversion yall are refering to on that black formula with the plexi housing with the yellow just plain out looks like @ss!! check out this link for those of yall that care to comment.. http://www.formula350.com/build/flipup.htm if yall dont like the flip-ups our pontiacs have, then im sure the camaro boys would love to have yall.....

------------------
I have experience...unfortunatly,its a result of bad judgement.
click below to check out MY FORMULA PAGE!
http://www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
astralbaby11@hotmail.com
Old 12-24-2000, 09:51 AM

Holy crap that is ugly...............

------------------
**FOR SALE***89 Camaro RS 2.8 V6 auto
Exterior: White Interior: Black
T-tops, power-windows, locks, hatch.

Also, the new owner of the MeanYellowZ
Old 12-24-2000, 07:21 PM
MrJ

Please.. why take away one of the few things that makes the Firebird distinct from the Camaro? The retractable headlights look great when down. The make the front of the car look like a damn fighter jet. Who cares how they look at night??? I mean really, people. It's dark out. You guys who hate them must not like the way Corvettes look either. I agree with the other dude, buy a damn 'Maro if you want fixed lights.
Old 12-24-2000, 10:21 PM

J, down they do look awesome, like a jet fighter as you say, but up, good god! Camaros look like **** all the time, so that is out of the question, and I own a Camaro and that is about the only thing I can't stand about them. Who gives a rip if it is a Firebird or a Camaro? Firebird is a Camaro w/ some different body stylings, or you can say it is the other way, but still, what does it matter? I bought a Firebird because I like the way it looks, if they called the Firebird a Camaro would I care? No, it was all on looks! And Second, the Vette, now I don't like their pop ups, but they are better... why you may ask, because of the angle. Corvette headlights do not pop up near as much, the Firebird ones look like huge triangles sticking out of the hood! The Corvette ones look a little sleeker, a little meaner...
Lastly, and this should of gone above, but oh well, yes, it is dark out, but they headlights still look SOOOO stupid!! There was a Firebird behind me last night and I could do the entire time was think how could GM... and that I was so glad that I got rid of them, even it meant getting pulled over twice....
Old 12-25-2000, 06:39 AM

i checkd that link out, formala90, and boy did that look like total crap!!! the link to see the 4th gen didnt work, but once i saw the concept car for the 98 firehawk, and the concept car had non-flip ups and looked bad..i saw it a couple of years ago on the fbody.com site somewhere
Old 12-25-2000, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

OK, number 1 all Firebird headlights ARE NOT the same size. Trust me. I have one side as an 88 headlight assembly, and the other a stock 92, and the 92 is much smaller. I had to change both of them out last night in the rain too, that sucked. After I came out of Autozone, that's when it started raining.

Number 2. A firebird w/o the pop up headlighs looks like crap. They are ugly. FIrebirds were meant to be pop-up, and personally I think it adds to the sleekness of the body.

------------------
92 Bird 3.1L Auto
Best $750 I ever spent....

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Kills:
93 Mustang LX (Before Mods)

Mods-Jet Stage 2 Performance Chip, Accel Cap/Rotor, Accel 8.8 MM Wires, Accell Coil, AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs, Dynomax Catback, K&N

AIM name OVRCLCK350
Old 12-26-2000, 01:10 AM
Banned

What about maro ones?

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 3.1L
T5 Manual 5 speed
Cold/RAM air intake
Z-28 Exhaust
8.5mm MSD Ignition wires
TB Coolant bypass

Soon to be a 3.8L turbo RS

AIM screen name - Stopsign696

Kills:

95 (****) Probe GT
94 Mustang GT
91 CRX (dont ask me why he raced me)
2nd Gen Z28 (350) haha to you V8 guys!
1992 RS 305 TBI (good race)
First Gen Integra
More to come
Old 12-26-2000, 02:42 AM

Monkie, Camaro ones aren't even close.

As for the sleekness coming from the headlights... ummm, yeah... but how it the sleekness get hurt by having smoked plexi there instead of a solid piece? I bet if you saw my headlights as they are now you would think twice, during the day from 15 feet they look stock. On the road during the day you'd never think twice about them being anything weird... then at night, well, totally different story.
Anyway, this thread has gotten wayyy of topic! The initial question still exists!!
Old 12-26-2000, 05:38 AM
Supreme Member

What are the difference in sizes? I have never seen more than two different size square sealed beam headlights. One is 4x6 and the other is 5x7.
Old 12-26-2000, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

YEA ovrclck,

I think pop us kix butt.
I mean, your drivin down the road begins to get dark, car in front of you looks back sees nothin on hood, then Bam, They shoot out like a bat oughta hell (mind atleast)
And your on your way,
i think its kinda intrstn, maros are like, keep em fixed, yet Some put on black out, so they can, Hide em???

lol, laterz
(no offense to tha maro brothren

------------------
91 FireBird 305 V-8
no true mods,
ghetto rigged cold air intake,
People dont have a soul, its just something parents made up to frighten little children, like the boogie man, or micheal jackson..."

GheTTo Riggers INC.
We Make Mcgyver look Like Crap
Old 12-26-2000, 10:49 AM

Amorget, post a pic for us, I have to say I love my flip lights, but it would be cool to see the alternative.

As for composites, there is a Firehawk sight out there, I forget the name, and it's 4th gen Firehawks, but there's a pic right on the front page of a 99 Firehawk with composite, white lights, just sitting there. Looks like they came off a 2000 'maro or something. Get a neck brace for the whiplash, cause I did a massive double-take when I saw it.

And to actually answer the question, noone makes them proffessionally.

-Reno
Old 12-26-2000, 01:28 PM

Hey, thank Reno, I knew I could get an answer some way or another about it, even if it isn't the answer I wanted, but thats not anybody fault :-)

Here are a couple pics, one front shot, one side shot, at night. Yes, I realize it is only one of the headlights, its one of those really long projects and for the sake of not getting pulled over again for driving w/o headlights I got one working.

I go out and take a pic of it during the day now, then post it with an edit to this post :-), just wanted to get this post up.

Hope you enjoy,
Douglas
Old 12-26-2000, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

I had an idea of doin' something like that. Damn, that looks a lot better than that other one. Although, I do have to admit, I dig the fact that my lights are completely hidden in the day. And at dusk, and dawn, I dig the way that my bird looks with just the running lights on.

------------------
'82 Firebird, dead stock, 9 bolt disc rear, over 200,000 miles and still going strong, more to come...
Old 12-26-2000, 09:03 PM

Stinger, I totally agree. I rarely actually turn the headlights on. I'd much rather run around with only the driving and fog lights on! I still need a day pic, too bad I ran outta day today!
Old 12-27-2000, 06:20 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the lights not pop up as far as they do. I was thinking of making them not come up so far, and putting a smaller headlight in there. Despite my username, i found the error in my ways, and got a firebird!!
Old 12-27-2000, 09:38 PM

Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by Ovrclck350:
OK, number 1 all Firebird headlights ARE NOT the same size. Trust me. I have one side as an 88 headlight assembly, and the other a stock 92, and the 92 is much smaller. I had to change both of them out last night in the rain too, that sucked. After I came out of Autozone, that's when it started raining.

what about it is smaller? the actual assembly, the door, bulb? I am afraid I cant agree with you right now because I did a total light swap from a 86 to a 90....where is the diffenence in size?

------------------
I have experience...unfortunatly,its a result of bad judgement.
click below to check out MY FORMULA PAGE!
http://www.formula350.com

or click below to email me
astralbaby11@hotmail.com
Old 12-27-2000, 09:40 PM

Yes, you can make them only pop up a little. There are a couple ways to do it. One way would be to make a new little piece that pushes them up and down, like 1/2 the size. That would cause them to only go up about half as high... I thought about doing this and it would look so much better, but I wanted fixed mount ones if I am going to that trouble.
Glad you saw the light, CamaroBoy :-) As you can tell by my user name, I did the same!
E-mail me if you need any more help!
Later,
RS
Old 12-28-2000, 05:58 PM

That is great. I couldn't find your email address, but if you could post it i would really like some more info and how to go about doing this. Or just email me at madmanmichael@hotmail.com

thanks
Old 12-28-2000, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

I guess that it just goes to show that if you have an idea, there is somebody else who has also thought of it too. I want to make my lights go only partially up too. Armorget, e-mail me on the subject, or if you know of any sites or anything that can help. Also, Camaro guy, I'm glad you've "seen the light"!! If you get this done, post pics.
Old 12-28-2000, 07:14 PM
MrJ

91/92 Firebirds use a sealed beam headlight that is smaller than the headlights on the earlier cars. It has a black plastic case that it sits in. Looks a lot different than the earlier cars.. its basically the same setup as the 93-97 4thgens.

------------------
91 Trans Am WS6
Bright White
5.0 TPI auto
Flowmaster 3" 2 chamber catback
Trans Go shiftkit
2000 stall converter

Built on Wednesday
Old 12-28-2000, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, sorry it took so long. I'm sorry that some of you here wont' believe me about the different sizes, but I went and got the headlight boxes out of my car. Here we go:

I used Sylvania Halogen Xtravisions, and the 92 pop up was H4666XV and is smaller than the other H6954XV (88 model). Trust me guys, I ripped the headlight assembly of the firebird myself. The part that the light actually screws into is the part that's smaller. Bye the way, the 88 is 7 7/8' X 5 5/8' and the 92 is 6 1/2' X 4'

------------------
92 Bird 3.1L Auto
Best $750 I ever spent....

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

Kills:
93 Mustang LX (Before Mods)

Mods-Jet Stage 2 Performance Chip, Accel Cap/Rotor, Accel 8.8 MM Wires, Accell Coil, AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs, Dynomax Catback, K&N

AIM name OVRCLCK350