Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Camaro Ram Air Hood Including Original Contour Lines Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Baldwin Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 860 carb, hilift, rollers, forged p, bored, headers, chrome...etc
Transmission: 5 speed hurst
Camaro Ram Air Hood Including Original Contour Lines Help?

I have been looking at fibrerglass hoods etc for my 85 Iroc. I would like to have a hood that has ram air, like the twin intakes with the grills (eg. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33646)

You will notice however that the aftermarket hoods seem to most often remove the nice contour lines that are on the hoods originally on the iroc. (there are two lines that extend from the left and the right by the windshield diagonally down to the front end.

All the ram air and cervini's cowl remove those nice lines and the hood is flat other than the scoop. I don't want that.

Is there a ram air hood like the one on ebay that INCLUDES the original hood countours? I noticed some of the cowl hoods include them perfectly, but that's not the look im going for (a big cowl).

I am now thinking I am somehow going to have to get some nearly compatible stock hood and remove the scoops and weld them onto my hood....eg maybe the 69-70 judge gto style scoops with functional inserts etc if its possible.

Also i've heard there are scoops you can rivet etc onto your existing hood. I hear alot of cracking stories however about firberglass bonded to steel.

I'm trying to finish building up a show car here, so any help you can throw this way would REALLY be appreciated.

Last edited by ZR-8; 04-17-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:46 PM

sorry had this posted in the wrong section before...

also wondering if anyone knows if its possibly to put old fashioned chrome handles on the camaros like eg...my old gto judge had....

...and im still having a hard time trying to find someone to fabricate those nice aluminum interior parts and speedo rings like that UK firebird had....
Old 04-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: vee eight
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 gears
you dont have to put old fashon chrome handles on it from somthing old, my brother has doors from an 82 f bird on his 88 fbird and the door handles are chrome , so just get a set from an 82 , i dont know if they offered them in 83 or what , if you want more info make a post on the history board.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 AM

nice fbird man.

as for the early 80s firebirds, didnt they have the push in the button with your thumb type handles?

The reason i ask...i was thinking about ordering two GTO judge from 1970 brand new from Year One in Atlanta.

Im making this car into a sleek mix between its original self and the old muscle car era it came from. (custom muscle car seats and panels being made etc) Therefore id love to have the old handles.

Do you think it would be hard to find someone to put the thumb button type on the car? I wonder if the auto doorlocks would still work though?

(post on the history board? sorry what do you mean? check history of the boards and post to someone?)
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM

i just saw the chrome on an older camaro....i dont want the stock chrome handles...id really like the old style door handles....
Old 04-18-2005, 12:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
The handles on 3rdgens are the same p.o.s. handles offered on nearly every GM car since 1970, You don't have to dig for 'year specific' anything. HELP! makes replacements in matte black or chrome (AZ, Pepe boys, etc).

The push button style handle might be a little difficult to make work with our latch assemblies. The 'button' style handles just have a rod that pokes out the back (horizontal) of the handle and pushes on a 'paddle' to operate the latch assembly.

The style on thirdgens are linked via a vertical rod to operate the latch. When you lift the handle, the rod presses down on a paddle and operartes the assy.

As far as affecting the inside handles operation, the in/out handles are on the same assy but, use different linkages to do the same function.(they are isolated from eash other)
Old 04-18-2005, 01:11 PM

hey thanx for the info!!! i figured it might get a bit tricky
looks like ill have to call some custom guys to see if they can do it...
hope i dont have this trouble when i wanna put in those heat vents in my fenders...

i know there are f/g fenders with the vents, but i have MINT original...and i wanna keep them on the car....

Last edited by ZR-8; 04-18-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 PM

lol this message is getting moved around more than my car does all year!