Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Maaco job... yes, it's true :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Maaco job... yes, it's true :-(

So... tax return money is coming back, and in an effort to spend my money before I get it, I was thinking of sending the car out to Maaco for the cheapest service that does a 2 stage paint since I want blue in the clear).

I'm talking a complete color change. door jambs, under the hood, engine compartment, and GFX (yep, getting gfx ).

My question, has anyone had their engine bay painted at Maaco before with the engine in the car? I dont really care how well it turns out, as long as it's all the same color lol.

<explain self>
The car is a daily driver, and is simply NOT worth the money to get a quality paint job... espescially with how close everyone seems to ride behind me (espescially those bitches in SUVs grrrrr)... I just want it to look better than the peeling, fading, cracking paint that's on there now, but opening up my doors every day and there being this white stripe would drive me NUTS! I also work on the car a bunch and having a white engine bay would drive me even more nuts and make me want to push the car into a lake or something.

</explain self>

So if anyone has had a complete color change like above from Maaco, or Earl Scheib (since their prices are similar), could you please post how much it cost

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 9 bolt
its really not that hard to pull the motor maybe you should just do that for them you could ahve it done ina weekend and you could save yourself hours fo cleanin with everything in the engine bay it would be extreml hard to paint it without removing everything or just painting over it and im guessign there goin to take the later of the 2 and that a white engine comaprtment
Old 12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
I have a maaco job on my Formula (and my brother had them do his 86 Firebird), and if you do most/all of the prep work your self all they have to do is spray it it should be fine. My car looks great the only bad spot is where i did a bad job on the prep work.
I would use em again.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock 9 bolt
wow that 1 looks pretty good one word of advise is also research the macco your going to take your car to try and find some of there work to see how they do before you take your car there some are good but theres the few out there that they get their bad rep from check it out find a good one and i think youll be happy
Old 12-20-2004, 12:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The engine bay is going to be a real headache if you need this done in a short amount of time. Personally, I wouldn't touch it cause it won't be worth the hassle. Get the engine bay done at a seperate time when you're planning an engine swap.

And Maaco isn't all that bad for the price. The key is prep. Remove your badges, lights, tape up the weatherstripping, get everything prepped nice and it will come out looking great.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:23 PM

Car: '68 corvette '73 Corvette
Engine: 427 454
Transmission: TH400
from my own experience and friends, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a"decent" paint job. just dont look at it up close and it will look ok. my vw van was $1100 that included some bondo work. it stayed on for about a year before peeling.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Convertible
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: 700r4, Vette Servo
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt, PBR disks
Originally posted by hoogabooga
from my own experience and friends, you have a 50/50 chance of getting a"decent" paint job. just dont look at it up close and it will look ok. my vw van was $1100 that included some bondo work. it stayed on for about a year before peeling.
At the price I paid though you could afford to get it painted every year.

Let the flames begin.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
thanks for the advice. Currently the Berlinetta is undergoing a engine swap. The 305 took it's last breath, just looking for a 350 in the papers to take it's place. I dont really want to have to tow the car to Maaco, and tow it back is the thing. But I guess I will if that's how it has to be.

Thanks again

edit: BTW, my original plan was to paint the car myself. But I priced everything to get me started (paint guns, huge compressor, filters, lines, accessories, cleaning solutions, paints, home made paint booth, heaters) and it turned out to be a whole lot more than I originally thought, so I want to get the Maaco job done so I dont have to rush buying all these things at once and then end up buying something that'll maybe work.

Last edited by sellmanb; 12-20-2004 at 02:25 PM.