Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Fiberglass copy of japanese hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: SBC
Transmission: 700r4
Fiberglass copy of japanese hood...Anyone interested?

Heres the deal...I ve reached the point in my project that Im lookin to buy a hood and I wanted somethin unique. Ever since I saw the pics of that jap hood I knew that was the one I wanted, but $1500.00 plus $1000.00 shipping is waaaaaaay too much. I talked to a local shop that builds fiberglass parts for street and race cars. They have an exstensive line of products and are very reputable. He said he would make us a copy of that hood for $675.00 each if we could get a minimum order of 10 hoods up front. He would need that many to justify the cost of the mold, otherwise we would have to pay for mold cost. What he needs is as many pics of the hood as we can get and someone to do the mockup for him to make the mold from. If we can't get a mockup done he would have to charge us time and materials, but he could do it from the pictures. Im not sure how serious everyone is about this hood but it seemed like the post got a great reponse. If there was enough interest I would be willing to take time from my project and invest alittle time and money modifying a stock camaro hood to use as a mold as well as do all the running around to get them done. What do you guys think anyone interested?

Thought Id adda pic to refresh everyones memory of the hood Im talkin about.

Last edited by BaddAzzRS; 06-01-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Minimum of 10 orders?! HAH! Not gonna happen on this board unfortunately As badass as it is, I dont think even at 675 anyone would go for it.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:40 PM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T-5 NWC
If there was a way to make a firebird hood outta that camaro one, I'd see what strings I could pull, but I got a bird and not a camaro, so no go here.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Supreme Member

Paying $675 for a hood you have never seen before........

It's a business investment if he wants to make those hoods, it he can produce a good quality product at a reasonable price, he will double whatever money he has invested in making it......
Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 PM

Paying $675 for a hood you have never seen before........
Not that I dont understand what your saying, but isnt that the point though...Its not something everyone else has and as far as not knowing what it looks like on the car....I think you can get a pretty good idea whether you like it or not from the pics posted on here already....I know I did.

As far as him making the investment...I took this idea to him...he already has a large volume shop and makes plenty of money with the parts he makes now, so he doesnt need to make the investment. Besides, if I cant get ten orders for them from such a large group of third gen enthusiasts thats not sayin much for the good investment....lol

Well the idea was there...thought id give it a try.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
It was a good idea.. thats still a little investment into a hood that hasn't been made. And I think they were reffering to not seeing it as in not seeing the hood that your guy actually made, meaning it could be upside down, lopsided, with a wing on it, and a cutout for firebird headlights and you would have already put your deposit down. :lala:
Old 06-02-2004, 02:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
That sux... I want that hood like nobody's business too. I'd need some time to save that kinda grip though.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

[sniff] [sniff]

I smell...

[sniff]

notchback repro...

[/sniff]
Old 06-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Ugh, not this topic AGIAN.

(Don't mind the pic, just poking a little fun at the whole disaster of a concept. )
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass copy of japanese hood-tgo-duh2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Axle/Gears: 3.42
LMAO,

For real though, things like this tend not to go well on these boards. Lets face it, the majority of people on this board are younger people with big dreams.

Now, that is not a bad thing, but it makes big purchases hard.

Still love that hood
Old 06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Why doesn't someone just replicate the damn thing already, its already been discussed that the two side vents are from a 2nd gen camaro fender vents and the middle is just a reverse cowl. I don't see the point in investing money in it, especially a fiberglass version considering if I get the first batch it WILL require modifications to fit my car, so thats extra money to get the damn thing to fit. If someone can step up to the plate and say they have a finished product, I may consider it.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Besides, if I cant get ten orders for them from such a large group of third gen enthusiasts thats not sayin much for the good investment....lol
You are gonna have a hard time convincing people to drop $675 on a hood that hasn't been developed, from a person they don't know and from a company to which their is NO confirmation of the quality of their product.....
Old 06-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs
You are gonna have a hard time convincing people to drop $675 on a hood that hasn't been developed, from a person they don't know and from a company to which their is NO confirmation of the quality of their product.....

you forgot to mention that 95% of the people here dont have that much money to spend on somthing like a hood.

a large percentage is only here to figure out how to fix their car.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Yeah, but one would think that all the dreamers that were jumping up and down like a rabbit on crack about how they were all ready to send $2500 overseas to get this hood would think this to be a deal? Where are they now?

Wether it's coming from a place in timbucktu or japan, no one knows jack about either. Kinda really makes you wonder, eh?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:05 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless somebody steps up, we're all going to have to live with the fact that Japan can even modify American cars better than we can. Forget about this hood. It was great for a little while, but it's quickly losing its appeal to me. We really need to come up with something totally new. I like that this hood served a new purpose (heat extraction) that no other hoods did on our cars. And who ever thought about putting an intercooler near the hood and having a scoop to feed it before the WRXs? Come up with something new, I say.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Supreme Member

Don't loose hope, if you go to the thread started by Rex Orr "$50.00 off hood prices"

Here is smoe quotes from what he mentioned...

Originally posted by Rex Orr
I have a hood set aside to do the reverse cowl Just getting the time to do it now is my main problem. Rex
Originally posted by Kandied91z
have you looked at the boards lately. that damn carbon fiber hood gets more requests then anything out there, you make the time to build that thing or something similar and i doubt you'll keep them long enough to set one on the shelf. the demands there, make the supply...

Originally posted by Rex Orr
We arew just finishing up a street rod project . I will try and start this after that project is done. Hope fully be able to start the design the first of the coming week if all goes as planned Rex

It seems that a well-known supplier of aftermarket hoods has smoething in the works.........
Old 06-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Supreme Member

Engine: Boosted LSX
You guy who are saying just make the damm thing and then sell it. Have No clue what is involved in making a mold to begin with.

Why should someone like me Drop $$$ outa my pocket to make a mold and perfect it before I sell a single hood. only to have maybe a handful. ( I bet not even 5-10 people would commit and buy)

Your talking a easy $500-1000 to perfect a mold/product before You even consider shipping one to a paying customer. I for one wouldn't ship a product that needs more hours spent fitting like some of the hoods on the market.

Then your talking Hours in labor making the mold and test fitting etc. at $40-60/hr My Time adds up quick. and thats cheap for custom glass or cf work. This is why anybody who is willing to do it wants 10 solid commitments.

worried about fit and finish ,and loosing your $$ do like you would any other company send it back if your not happy.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Hawks 8.8
well, luckily Rex watches these forums and sees enought of a demand to at least give it a shot. Now everyone that said they would buy one better do it, cause I would hate to see rex get shafted. This hood isnt for me, but im getting a SS one from him for sure.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '88 Iroc
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.45
I suppose everyone has a right to their opinion but I get frustrated with all the negativity. I, for one, will pony up $675 for this hood. Nobody in town has one and I want it... simple! I mean, how old is this thread anyways? One whole day!!! Give ppl a chance before calling the proposition a failure. It's no wonder we can't get anything going with taillights. I'm not saying that some of the points weren't valid ones, such as many ppl not having cash to fork out. But 10 ppl??? We'll see. Just give it a chance is all I'm saying. Paying $675 is a sight better than $2500.

And if Rex is willing to make this hood, that's all the better. I'd like to see an announcement.

In the mean time, here's your list:

1. BaddAzzRS
2. vexter
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by vexter
I mean, how old is this thread anyways? One whole day!!! Give ppl a chance before calling the proposition a failure.
if only this was the first thread involved in the subject
Old 06-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Do we have any examples of his work?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by StevenK
*sigh*
Old 06-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Don't loose hope, if you go to the thread started by Rex Orr "$50.00 off hood prices"

Here is smoe quotes from what he mentioned...

It seems that a well-known supplier of aftermarket hoods has smoething in the works.........
Problem is it will most likely be high priced because its new and no one has them.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Rex seems to be a pretty reasonable dude, I doubt the price he picks will be that much higher if at all then his current hoods....you forget he is thinking about overall sales, not just a quick buck.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:57 AM

Ok well since Ive seemed to insight some interest in this hood idea I'll at least give you a a few more details so that everyone might understand that Im not just some guy with a friend of a friend. I'm an experience car enthusiast who's put a bit more thought into the idea than that and knows where to go when he needs something done. Im not some guy that would attempt to scam or mislead anyone on some half***ed idea. ...not that I expect anyone who doesnt know me from adam to take me at my word. I would not expect anyone to cough up any cash till I had a modified hood that would be ready to be molded. Im willing to put the time and effort into making the hood for the mold. If all else fails I can use the one I make on my car cuz thats the hood I want. Im an accomplished fabricator and have a good eye for body work so making the one hood is not outta my range of abilities. As stated earlier the vents are nothing more then second gen fender vents...combined that with a mildly modified exsisting cowl hood and bam ya got your jap hood. As far as the guy who would be producing them being reputable and able to turn out quality work thats not a problem. Ever heard of Glasstek http://www.glasstek.com/...The owners name is tory and hes the guy I talked to...I live 30 minutes from his shop...you can see examples of his work on the site. I told him about this site and where to find the original posts for this hood cuz he was interested in seeing pics.

I have read the board enough to understand why people may be reluctant to go for this. To those who are cash flow impaired for the moment this deal would take time to put together so you would have time to save. Like I said it was just an idea thanx for all your replies...we can always hope that Rex comes through...Im going to wait and see myself alittle before I get started on my hood...if not I'll post pics of my hood when its done and we can discuss the idea futher. And if we have some interest at that time and 9 willing buyers in addition to myself then I'll let tory take a mold of my hood before it gets painted....thanx again

Last edited by BaddAzzRS; 06-03-2004 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: Boosted LSX
Originally posted by StevenK
exactally...... this came up last year with stock glass iroc hoods that a few people wanted.

As for quality when looking for someone to do it. You will never know. Ive seen Great work and Junk work from em all. Tons of people complain about harwood yet others have No problems. Same with UP22.

I for 1 and a picky sob call me a perfectionest. I have 8+ years with conposits making molds and composit parts for a company that has the contracts for 80% of the parts for the following companies

1.hatteras yachts
2.lazara yachts
3. Wellcraft
4. Ingersolrand
5.John Deer and a few more small ones.

Everything from complete hull's to little stuff like brackets,deck lids etc.

My complete rear plastics are getting redone because Im minitubbing the car. and still have to have my stereo and 8 point cage. Not to mention all the mis little stuff like. rocker palels. A pillers for the 4thGen dash swap etc.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:07 PM

Guys,
I would fork over the $675 for this hood.
But I would like to make a design suggestion.
Is it possible to not include those two small vents
on the side of the hood?

IMO, the vents make the hood look to busy...
The one large opening in the middle would be perfect.
Let me know what y'all think.

Tommy
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
I agree Tommy..

plus, I think your car would look beastly with that hood. Not that it isn't already badass
Old 06-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45
Originally posted by Sonar_un
I agree Tommy..

plus, I think your car would look beastly with that hood. Not that it isn't already badass
I also agree with Tommy on this one, I would just like the one in the middle. I would be willing to spend some cash for one that has been made true.

I know fiberglass is hard, but if you don't get complaints, you will sell more. Hopefully someone would want to do this.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:49 AM

Car: '87 t-top, '88 'vert
I'm glad to see a possible alternative to the cowl/ram air/big block hood options. I've been looking for something a little more subtle, and this looks like a good candidate. I also agree that it would look cleaner without the side scoops. If this gets made, and the bugs worked out, I'd be interested.

What I'd REALLY like to see produced is something like this: (pic lifted from ebay)
Attached Thumbnails Fiberglass copy of japanese hood-iroc13.jpg  
Old 06-04-2004, 01:18 AM
Hg
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Z
Engine: 355 in the works
I don't know about you guys, but i have cash in hand... the only hood I'd pay over 700$ for after shipping would be that exact carbon fiber hood with VIS quality - AA grade carbon fiber that is nice and tightly woven, rolled carbon fiber edges, a full skeleton, a very strong hood latch.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Hg
I don't know about you guys, but i have cash in hand... the only hood I'd pay over 700$ for after shipping would be that exact carbon fiber hood with VIS quality - AA grade carbon fiber that is nice and tightly woven, rolled carbon fiber edges, a full skeleton, a very strong hood latch.

That's the thing. The carbon fiber is expensive. Once the mold is made for the fiberglass, it won't be as expensive. Look at hardwood hoods, they had to make their own mold, and their cost isn't over $700.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
"There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time as come ."

Victor Hugo

It took time but the 5 inch spoiler was made, so I think this too will be accomplished.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:47 AM

Car: '99 HO Z28 / '03 Trailblazer
Originally posted by TPl383
Why should someone like me Drop $$$ outa my pocket to make a mold and perfect it before I sell a single hood. only to have maybe a handful. ( I bet not even 5-10 people would commit and buy)
Its really no different than any new product line. If you are in the business, that's some of the risk you undertake. If each of us were to put a deposit on a hood, then you use the deposit to develop your product...isn't that sorta like making us PARTNERS in your new venture?

The offset of the startup expense is that when it sells well, YOU get to keep the profits. If you research it and find you can't make much money with it - then don't make the product. There are many items that aren't produced because they just aren't cost effective.

Considering your customer base, producing this hood probably will only be cost effective if done by a current hood manufacturer who already has the tooling/expertise/brand identification in place. They can charge more (brand identification) and produce at a lower cost (tooling/expertise) and thus will have a larger profit margin.

Just my $.02.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 Heritage Edition
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1
Originally posted by Charlie's87
I'm glad to see a possible alternative to the cowl/ram air/big block hood options. I've been looking for something a little more subtle, and this looks like a good candidate. I also agree that it would look cleaner without the side scoops. If this gets made, and the bugs worked out, I'd be interested.

What I'd REALLY like to see produced is something like this: (pic lifted from ebay)
Thats the SS hood made ALREADY by ASCD.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by DURTYBIRD
Its really no different than any new product line. If you are in the business, that's some of the risk you undertake. If each of us were to put a deposit on a hood, then you use the deposit to develop your product...isn't that sorta like making us PARTNERS in your new venture?
99% of the business in this country doesn't ask for "desposits" in order to create a new product line or single product

If i'm funding the R&D for a new product, I better be involved in the life of that product, or recieve a nice discount for being the first buyer on a new product......
Old 06-04-2004, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Dante93GTZ
There is a slight difference, check out the size of the cowl. ASCD's cowl sticks up more in the rear than this hood.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
anybody see the hood in teh back ground pic of the jap one. it has 2 middle vents that looks sick too in my opinion
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Car: 1982 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: Stock carbed 305
Transmission: Stock 200C
Originally posted by Maroon-IROC-Z
There is a slight difference, check out the size of the cowl. ASCD's cowl sticks up more in the rear than this hood.
That seems to be a second gen scoop grafted on to a third gen hood. That is definitely not the commercial SS hood. I'v always had a problem with how bulky the commercial hood was...I like the subtleness of the one pictured.

Where is the love for the Bird guys? =/ No cool Japanese hood for a bird?
Old 06-04-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by SC82TA
That seems to be a second gen scoop grafted on to a third gen hood. That is definitely not the commercial SS hood. I'v always had a problem with how bulky the commercial hood was...I like the subtleness of the one pictured.

Where is the love for the Bird guys? =/ No cool Japanese hood for a bird?

the bird has what look like heat extractors from the factory (athough they arnt functional)

if i wanted that hood, i would just buy a fiberglass cowl and modify it. its not like its hard to do, just time consuming.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:13 PM

99% of the business in this country doesn't ask for "desposits" in order to create a new product line or single product
First let me clear up this growing misunderstanding. Im not a company. Im just a car enthusiast like everyone else on here. I merely wanted a unique hood for my car and didnt wanna layout the huge amount of cash that it would take to have one hood created. I just figured with the interest on here for this hood that I could find enough people who want the hood so that none of us had to absorb any additional costs.

Im not asking for money to develop this hood. I wouldnt expect any deposits till the hood for the mold was made and I posted pics for everyones approval. I think its a cool hood and the interest in developing new stuff for our cars is not out there as the fourth gens get most of the attention these days.

Second, Glasstek is not asking us to pay additional charges for the cost of this hood above what they would charge if they were to make the hood on thier own. They just wants us to commit to ten hoods up front so that they are guaranteed to recoup the cost of the mold. They have no incentive to create this hood on thier own as they have a very thriving business with what they already sell. The point Im tryin to make is I went to them with the idea they will make the hoods for us if we want them, but if we dont they have no reason or interest in creating them and selling them on thier own.

Third, again I understand some peoples concern about the quality of the product. Glasstek http://www.glasstek.com/ is as reputable a company as all the other companies that make hoods for our cars, so quality is not any more an issue than with buying from any other manufacturer.

Ok Ok I know Im long winded...lol...But Im tryin to answer everyones concerns. With that said I talked to Torry at Glasstek today. He had a chance to look at the pics of the hood and we came to the conclusion it would probably look better without the side scoops. After he read all the posts about the hood and saw that there was some real interest in the hood I managed to get him to come down to $575.00. If you have any questions or concerns or just want to see if Im for real feel free to call Glasstek and ask for Torry...numbers on the website.

Thanx
Doc

Last edited by BaddAzzRS; 06-04-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

I think it would be a good idea for some people who are really interested in getting this hood made to pick up the phone and give this guy Tony a call, if he sees the interest, no company would pass up the opportunity to make some money.....
Old 06-05-2004, 05:38 AM
TGO Supporter

Last edited by vexter; 06-05-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
and its dead. nice hood but short lived
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by jocww
and its dead. nice hood but short lived
What are you talking about? How is it dead?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 AM
TGO Supporter

That was G0D... If he says it's dead, it must be dead. Ho hum, I guess I'm stuck w/ my stock hood forever...
Old 06-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Z28
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt
what would it take to have a fiberglass replica of the stock IROC style hood made? light weight, be able to bolt the louvers on it and it would look stock.

Last edited by SLP IROC-Z; 06-07-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 PM

what would it take to have a fiberglass replica of the stock IROC style hood made? light weight, be able to bolt the louvers on it and it would look stock.
You could wait, and hope a company to sees a market for it and makes it or you could take it upon yourself to call a company and see what it would take as I did. From what IO was told its pretty straight forward process. Give them a hood to mold, they make the mold, from that mold they can make as many hoods as you want. The hard part is paying for the time and labor it takes for the company to make the mold in addition to the cost of the 1 hood. This could be solved by trying to get a group of people interested in making an initial purchase, so that the company profits enough from the initial order that they would absorb that cost. Thats just my experience. You maybe able to find a company and convince them theres a market for this hood and they might be willing to take the time to absorb all the initial production costs, market the hood on there own, and take the chance its going to sell based on your one order. Though this has not been my experience and is not generally how a reputable company works. All ya can do is make some calls.

Last edited by BaddAzzRS; 06-07-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:37 PM

Car: '91 vert RS, '82 Z28
Engine: TBI 305, TPI 350
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed
Originally posted by Dante93GTZ

and if you looked closer you would see that this hood pictured is not the one from ASCD it doesnt flare out at the back like a cowl, this is actually the hood/scoop im looking for, im still looking for one like this...

this red hood on the black car resembles more closely then the other aftermarket ones out there to the actual SS hoods on the new camaros
Old 06-07-2004, 06:39 PM

Car: '91 vert RS, '82 Z28
Engine: TBI 305, TPI 350
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed
Originally posted by Charlie's87

does anyone actually know where to get this hood?????? i like it better than the other after market ones out there

Quick Reply: Fiberglass copy of japanese hood