Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

comprehensive insurance coverage

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Iroc
Engine: 94 lt1 modded
Transmission: t 56
comprehensive insurance coverage

I am looking into some better insurance coverage for my car for this next summer. I called my insurance company and they will only cover my car for around 4 grand. They say that because it is an 88 they only have to cover the car for low blue book. This isn't exceptable because I have around 14000 in the car now ,and alot more mods planned for this year. I'm 29 years old, married and have a clean driving record.
Do any of you guys have any suggestions. I built this car to be driven. I'm not worried about my driving so much as I'm worried about someone hitting me and recking my car. Their insurance payout probably wouldn't alow me to duplicate my car.
What kind of coverage do you guys have, and how much does it cost?
Thanks for your input.
Kory
Old 02-08-2004, 01:00 AM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
well, im 16 and my insurence is $691 every 6 months for me to drive my car, fully covered. that includes collision and theft and all that good stuff. well ym car as of right now is only covered for 2000$ because its an 87 and they dont know that the engine isnt stock. im going to take it over to the insurence and have them take pictures of all my stuff so they know what is on it. my suggestion to you...keep all of your reciepts because they cant screw you over if you ahve proof of what is/was on the car. thats the only thing that can help you get more money from them. i have to drive my car to school pretty soon and i am not looking forward to some idiot trying to show off and then rearend me in the parking lot. lots of stuff hapens, just hope that it isnt your fault.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:28 AM

Car: 1984 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Engine: H.O. 305 5.0L;L69
Transmission: T-5; Axle Ratio 3.73
Hey guys....um...if you are 16...and they realize that your car isn't stock...well...um...lets just leave it at...Your insurance is not going to be $700 every 6 months for very long. Just deal with what you have untill you are over 21 because then insurrance does down a great deal and then again when you are 25. Actually the best is to have it in your parents name. Insurance is expensive and the more HP you put out and the younger you are...the more they rape you.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

i was fortunate enough to have mine in my parents name until my rates lowered. afterwhich the advice i'd give to you if you truly have that much into it is to go with a specialty insurance. have the car appraised by someone and then talk with the various companies. if you can prove it isn't your daily driver and that it's worth what you think it is through an appraiser then not only will your rates drop significantly but you'll have coverage that will be better then bluebook value.

understand some key points though as they don't care about what your engine is and the rest you have.....you will need things like paint, wheels, interior, safety items, etc to really make them notice.

you could have a 30,000 motor and no one would cover it right now because your car isn't old enough. however, i'm certain if you get it appraised that you'll at least get a coverage close enough that your happy. one major thing is no nitrous....make sure that isn't on the list of items and you'll be good! no one covers a car with nitrous.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans am
get grundy car insurance, im gonna get grundy this year when i put the car back on the road. THey have some rules about not driving the car to school and work so that may rule out some of you guys, and you also have to have a garage to store the car in, you can have unlimited mileage also .
Old 02-08-2004, 07:17 PM

Car: 87 Trans am
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 bolt posi w/ disc
well right now, the car is marked as "work/school" the insurence is in my parents name, so it isnt much. i get a good student discount due to my 3.0 gpa. when i do put things on the car it isnt going to be huge, it will be GFX, stereo, exhaust, and some performance bolt-ons i am not going to tell the insurence what kind of power i have because they will know that a 16 year old with over 350hp is gonna do something that he shouldnt lol. if it was up to me, i would have the car's title in my name and the insurence in my parents but in cali, you cant have a vehicle, or anything for that matter, in your name until you are 18. corect me if i am wrong, but i think thats how it goes.

tell me how this works, my mom's car is an 02 lancer, they have it down as 16000$ my dad's new SUV is a 2004 mitsubishi endeavor, my car is the 87 camaro. the camaro is the most expensive out of the vehicles for insurence. i think that it is funny because my car is the most expensive yet it is the oldest. i am also insured on all the other cars, so maybe thats why it is 691$ every 6 months
Old 02-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
it cost more to insure your camaro because u are the primary driver, whereas u arent the primary on your parents cars. I pay about $700 every 6 months on my camaro, but when i didnt have that to drive, the insurance figured i was driving my truck as a daily driver, my $700 went to $1800 every 6 months! That was for full coverage with a $250 deductable though.