Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

clear coat peeling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear coat peeling up

ok so the day i bought my car it was flawless , then about a week later, after i washed it, small bubbles started forming under the clear then just popping off, now my hood looks like it had BAD acne problem from the lil bubbles forming then popping, and peeling off.....so my question is, is there any way i can sand down the clear without harning the paint and spray the hood with just clear coat and this fix the problem....

OR do i have to just sand down to primer and start from there....

ideas???
Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 PM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L v6
Transmission: Automatic
haha sorry to say but i bet the previous owner got 300 dollars and put it into a maaco paintjob right before he sold it to you. not sure on the best fix, but my car is sufferering from peeling clearcoat too, i think it was shot at maaco at some point. the roof is horrible and both bumpers arent doing good.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned

yeah thats my assumption....that dust got on the car before they sprayed the clear and over time the air/water got under there......

i stuck white stripes down the car to help take away from the bubbles.....4 inch wide white stribes 1 1/2 inches apart.....and for it being vinyl , it looks great.....on the teal....droooool .....guess when i get it repainted ill have em paint the stripes on.......i originally did it just to see how itd look til i got a new paint job but yeah it looks good, it stays
Old 10-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 - Demon 525
Transmission: 700R4
Geezzz... what did you use to wash it? Pant stripper? lol j\k You could try to buff down that clear coat a bit. Dont SAND YET! lol A buffer will get through the clear coat and smoth it out. Some spots may have more or less clear coat on it, but it should even it out a bit. I would just try it, I mean.. cant make it look any worst. Well.. Becarefull with buffiing, be gentle. You can burn through clear coat easily and damage the paint. Call around a few body shops and see what they would charge ya to try it as well. I mean buffing is easy when you get the hang of it, and it woulnt take that long. I was a helper at a shop once. I would buff a car for 20 bucks and just pocket the money lol !!! Wasnt a big franchise shop so I could do that.

So my recomendation, try to buff it out a bit, use that Mcguires clay bar set with the was and stuff. The only thing about buffing it, waxing, umm clay barring and possibly applying new clear coat, it might make it look either more shiney or more dull then the rest of your car. I'm not sure about recoating clear coat though, your going to have to ask a painter about that one. Call a body shop for that
Old 10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
Banned

they claimed 800 bucks at a shop here...said they had to sand down to the METAL...
Old 10-09-2003, 06:25 AM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1L v6
Transmission: Automatic
not metal but at least back down to the factory paint since maaco paint isnt a strong base to put good paint on. i mean you could do it but then its a matter of time before you need to repaint.