Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Supreme Member

Location: "No one cares if you're in before the lock!" - Best quote ever.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand

I hate my shi*tty digital camera, these pics were the best I could do...i was going to post them in my original thread, but didn't want to violate the rules, so...

here's it during the day, installed:
Attached Thumbnails R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand-riceinstall.jpg  
Old 06-25-2003, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

a near-night shot:
Attached Thumbnails R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand-morerice1.jpg  
Old 06-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Supreme Member

and, of course, the last one:
Attached Thumbnails R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand-morerice2.jpg  
Old 06-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

hmmmmmm interesting..........

What did you use to attach to the hood??
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

good ol' velcro...I had my doubts, but that stuff works amazing..still gotta insulate the wires, though after 2 hours in HOT *** wather, they held up fine.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: =350 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I have a little neon in my car too heres some pix
Heres another
Old 06-26-2003, 07:16 AM

Car: 98 Camaro SS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Watch the velcro.. after time the glue will not hold from the heat... Just a warning... Would be bad if it fell into the engine and found it's way to the front.

And, for the standard disclaimer:

I respect the fact that it is your car, and you will mod it how you see fit.. But by posting pictures on the board you are asking for input & criticism whether you mean to or not. With that being said, you can skip over the following comments if you don't want to read them.

I think they look like total ***.

They tubes are visible.
The glow is irritating to the eyes.
They are VERY illegal (blue or red lights)
The interior ones are WAY too bright. (and too many of them)

2Fast2Furious was already filmed.. they aren't looking for thirdgens.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Supreme Member

I like them and plan on putting some in my car...

HOWEVER...

Install them so the tubes aren't visable. It looks great when all you see is the glow. The tubes make it too bright and look like ***.

On the legal note, I am going with blue too, I figure most cops will over look them if they can't see the tubes just a little glow. Yours are going to get you a ticket from the first cop who sees them.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:30 AM

You will get a ticket at LEAST if they see any blue tint.

It is a FELONY to have blue or red lights on your car (besides red brake lights). It is called impersonation of law enforcement. They will NOT let you off because they can't see the tube.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:35 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: =350 sbc
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Everyone has a right to there opinion and I totally respect that.It's When the opinion becomes more or less an a attack is when peoples tempers start to flare up a bit..
Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 AM

Which is why I now post a standard disclaimer on all posts like this.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member

The tube of mine under the hood isn't visible..the interior one is at the moment, though just barely, and is getting fixed tonight. The velcro is under a different adhesive, not the 'velcro-tape' type of stuff. thx for the warning, though.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

I don't see how a blue glow is going to get you a felony for imperonating a police officer... the light isnt strobing, you aren't trying to pull people over...there is no way the charge will stick. Furthermore, a blue glow inside your car gives the same effect as having blue tinted windows with a clear ligth shining through it. Is it illegal to blue tint your windows as long as it is under the legal limit? Nope...and nor are clear lights inside your car.

Same effect, no ticket... so why should the blue glow from neons be illegal.

Also, there is no way anyone is dumb enough to think somone driving around with a blue aura coming from their car is a cop.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
don't like it one bit. oh and I hate underside neons also.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:57 AM

the law CLEARLY states that you are not allowed to have ANY blue or red lights (except tail lights) on your vehicle.

How much simpler can that be made for you?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:00 PM
Supreme Member

I am not disputing that, I am disputing the impersonating a police officer charge...
Old 06-26-2003, 12:12 PM

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7L/L98
Transmission: 700r4
Looks like he's trying to impersonate a Honda to me. Whats with these neon lights? There clearly a visual distraction and annoyance they are gaudy as all hell like an old lady with to much costume jewelry and makeup on. Leave the tacky add ons alone, I don't know how bored the cops are in your area or what the legality is for your county but I would be real worried about the fashion police if I were you. This neon fad will fade soon enough and you can look back on it in ten years and laugh at your self, same way I look at those pictures of me in striped pants and butterfly collars from the 70's
Old 06-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Supreme Member

Ooh, keep it coming! Heated debates on a question purely based on personal taste are intriguing!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: upgrading...
Transmission: upgrading...
i think the hood neon is neat -- but it seems like one of those things that would only get turned on at a car show. I mean, i can't imagine i'd like to have a bright blue neon tube staring me right in the face at night time.

As for the interiors, the tube up on the dash is tacky to me. There's not really anything more awkward than a tube just stuck to the dash. To me, it gives the impression that you didn't take the time to wire it or install it properly, and you just added it for the sake of adding neon. The ones UNDER the dash I have no complaints about.

Most people don't know that you can't see those tubes when you're sitting in the car, and they just make your feet glow blue. I have the same thing in my car. Driving down a dark road with all stock lighting is a very dark experience in 3rd gen f-bodies. Too dark, for my liking. It's just like how I don't like to watch TV in the dark. Therefore, I added some light, just as our friend here did. They're quite tasteful, and if one could be so big as to get past the fact that it's NEON and HONDA OWNERS use it - they'd appreciate that it's a very nice effect.

In addition, in real life where I live, the first comment to come out of peoples' mouths is not "Ew! I hate that! That's too importy". Most people are impressed at the professionalism. Strange how the internet community is so much different.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

..the interior one is at the moment, though just barely, and is getting fixed tonight.
..the interior one is at the moment, though just barely, and is getting fixed tonight.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: upgrading...
Transmission: upgrading...
ah. point taken, sorry!
Old 06-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Well to make sure everyone remebers back many years ago, Neons are not R IC E~! Neons have been used on cars long before the Import stuff even started. I happen to like neons, though I myself woulds only use them under the car, if I were to use them in the interior I would use them in some type of enclosure to illuminate something or other,(like a bowtie) but everyone has their own idea of what they like, and I respect that! If Azure like them in his interior, then that is all that matters. As for blue lights... Azure is from here in Canada, and we don't have some of the same rules when it comes to blue lights on automobiles as some American states do.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by stiers there is no way the charge will stick. Furthermore, a blue glow inside your car gives the same effect as having blue tinted windows with a clear ligth shining through it. Is it illegal to blue tint your windows as long as it is under the legal limit? Nope...and nor are clear lights inside your car.
LOL keep thinking that , then when you finall get your butt out of jail you can post an "update" on your opinion

blue glow is illegal , the fact that SOME cops choose to ignore it doesn't mean ALL will , sooner or later you'll happen to go by one that is in a bad mood and is hoping to really get someone

blue tint is also illegal , at least in this state it is , you can have a doctor give you a note saying that medically you need it (for what reason I don't know , I think it had somehtint to do with glare and sensitive eyesight or something , who knows), ask redraif , she has red tint and that is illegal as well , but I believe she did have a doctor sign off on it...

as far as clear lights inside ? what does that have to do with anything ? if you meant outside , then yes those are illegal as well , sure cops choose to ignore them but MOST aren't legal as they produce less "light" than stock type colored lense with clear bulb.

but hey , you'll learn it the hard way one day.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Cruzin Kaz
Well to make sure everyone remebers back many years ago, Neons are not R IC E~! Neons have been used on cars long before the Import stuff even started.
Yeah thats true, they have just been adopted and overused by the import scene, I have seen them under cars and sometimes that looks cool, but in the drivers face all over no thanks. Hey but thats just my opinion obviously theres quite a few who think there cool thats why the market in that area is booming. I would bet that at least 80% of people who put them in and keep there cars will end up taking them back out at some point.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:19 PM

after i get my car painted i was thinking of putting neon under the car just for car shows to add some effect but my fellow fbody friends from the MFBA told me if i do that all of them will declare me a r icer and scare me away...i dont want them to declare me a r icer just cuz i have neons under my car so i'm 2nd thinking the neons either put them in and not tell them about it or dont put them in...its hard to decide but i have time i guess. And my thought if neon is on a muscle car its not r ice its just for show and most of the time it looks good, but if its on an import or a car that has horrible decals and spoilers and stuff then its r ice
Old 06-26-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by firebirdchick24
my fellow fbody friends from the MFBA told me if i do that all of them will declare me a r icer and scare me away...i dont want them to declare me a r icer just cuz i have neons under my car so i'm 2nd thinking the neons either put them in and not tell them about it or dont put them in then its r ice
Hey firebirdchick, don't let other peoples negative insight influence your car detailing (or in the case of neon I would call it decorating). Bottom line is its your car, do whatever you want to it if you think it looks good. Not adding/deleting something from your ride because somebody elses opinion doesn't agree with yours is like breaking up with your girlfriend because your friends think she's to fat. If it makes ya feel good, do it and do it often!!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:09 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Just a little comment on the legality side at least where I live ANY visible neon (IE anything that other drivers can see) regaurdless of color is considered a distraction and illegal around here I know many people who have been pulled over for it. Also as far as neon goes the first time I remember seeing it was on a muscle car during the late 80's and early 90's craze when everyone was painting there prostreeters gawdy bright colors. Personally I think if used in small amounts and hidden so not directly shining in your eyes (like under the dash near the floor) it looks great. But as far as the cops go yea its gonna be a magenet. I'll give you an example. The other night I was sitting at a light and one of those civics with GREEN neon inside and a huge 80ft aluminum wing pulls up next to me and revs his 2-cycle, at me the light turns green and we both take off pretty fast we pass a cop I was about half a block ahead of the civic and doing 5 over guess who gets pulled over... The guy with neon everywhere.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:59 PM

My $0.02.

Disclaimer

This is my opinion. That's it. I have a feeling you can tell where this is going, so if you are going to become pissed off and beligerent, then skip this post It has come to my attention that some select members cannot read. Thus I will repeat myself. This is my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, I honestly don't give a ****. I can think whatever the hell I want.

Alright.

Neons look like absolute sh*t. They are being marketed to the MTV generation (which I am very ashamed to be part of). A generation that is attracted to bright glowing things. Regardless whether you wish to admit it or not, putting neon on a car automatically makes it r*ce (Once again, to accomodate those who cannot read, I have to add this. This is my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. Don't read it.). Giant aftermarket aluminum spoilers, fart cans and neons all belong in the same family people. You could honestly not pay me enough to put that **** on my car. It's embarassing to me, to my passangers, and to anyone who drives a goddam Chevrolet in the first place. $30 lights from Autozone do not make your car cool.

12 Sec was right. They already filmed 2 Fast 2 Furious. You're not Vin Deisel, so deal with it already.

End of my opinion. You can now go back to a magic land where everyone agrees with you all the time.

Last edited by acidboy; 06-28-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

If you cared to read the above points, or weren't completely ignorant to the reality of certain things, you'd realize neons on vehicles is WAY before 'r*cers' or MTV, or any other buzz words you'd like to use. Get educated, then open your mouth... for your opinion you're appraising them at .02 too much.

*edit* To be included in my signature as one of the most rediculous things I've read on these forums:
Regardless whether you wish to admit it or not, putting neon on a car automatically makes it r*ce.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:05 PM

I am considering neon for my car...last time I checked, it is not illegal to have blue or red neon on a car here as long as it is not flashing. It has been awhile since I looked into that so it could have been changed.
I think neon(if done in moderation) looks very good. I do like the underbody kit look. Not sure if I would place neon inside my car though...
Old 06-27-2003, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 12 Sec GTA
You will get a ticket at LEAST if they see any blue tint.

It is a FELONY to have blue or red lights on your car (besides red brake lights). It is called impersonation of law enforcement. They will NOT let you off because they can't see the tube.
Not true for everywhere, i got stopped and ticketed for BLUE NEON LIGHTS, all 4 underbody neon tubes were on.......

$44 and NO points, just a NON-MOVING citation, same as a parking ticket.....

Laws may vary by county, i live in soutern florida, so Orlando may be different
Old 06-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Got pulled over for R.I.D.E. this eve on my way home from the GF's, neons on, etc. Officers were cool, of course I hadn't been drinking, so I figured I'd ask them "Is their anything wrong legally with the vehicle that you see?" They didn't acknowledge the neons at all, but said if the cops wanted to be real as*holes they could of ticketed for a noise violation due to the really loud bass; however, this was a very hard to enforce law and easily disputed in court.

...meh.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

that's what i think everyone is looking over here......

You live in Canada, the police aren't half as bad, and people are actually nice up there.....
Old 06-28-2003, 12:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Creating a new thread to try and get by the three picture limit is not the way to go. Get a cardomain account, its not hard.

I know you guys all have your opinions and thats fine. But don't say "this is my opinion" and then state it like your opinion is a scientifically proven fact. ("Regardless whether you wish to admit it or not, putting neon on a car automatically makes it r*ce.")

So far its staying clean, keep it that way.

As for the neons- I like them on the outside but not a big fan of interior neons yet. I like the blue though.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
I love the way my blue neons look. I have all black interior so the blue is not very bright. A nice relaxing mellow blue.

The pics are really big
Here is pic of the both lights on
You cant see the bulbs
The mellow glow on pass side
I have a blue switch under the dash that also glows when the lights are on.
Brian
Old 06-28-2003, 01:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Oh, and as far as getting pulled over by cops for the blue color, DOESNT HAPPEN! Just dont have them on while you are driving

Brian
Old 06-28-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Azure
If you cared to read the above points, or weren't completely ignorant to the reality of certain things, you'd realize neons on vehicles is WAY before 'r*cers' or MTV, or any other buzz words you'd like to use. Get educated, then open your mouth... for your opinion you're appraising them at .02 too much.

*edit* To be included in my signature as one of the most rediculous things I've read on these forums:
This is my opinion. That's it. I have a feeling you can tell where this is going, so if you are going to become pissed off and beligerent, then skip this post
That's all I have to say. I feel it speaks much louder than anything I could possibly respond.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

haha, well, since I started this thread, I feel I can respond however I see fit...you can't slap a disclaimer on something and expect that to be fine. That's like going to the million man march and saying "Ok, no one get offended with me, and if you will, don't pay attention - but I hate black people." Give me a break.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:30 PM

Had you told me you did not agree with my P.O.V, that would have been fine. However you became quite hostile, which I did not appreciate.

That is fine however. I am leaving this arguement. I'll let you feel you've gained the "upper hand" as it appears that you need to "one-up" me to feel better about yourself. That is fine, as you've clearly "beaten" me, and you are more than welcome to feel that way. I've stated my opinion, and it won't change any time soon.

Good day.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

i thought about putting neons here up behind the mesh. Thought it would look good at cruze ins and such. Good idea??
Old 06-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 05' GTO
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: A4
I put that Blue neon string stuff in my bandpass sub box and its wired to the remote wire, so when the system is on its on. i wish i could take a picture of it but its bright enuff to have the subs glow a bright blue and u cant see the wire. i put it in under the lip in the box where th top plexiglass screw on to. its liek a 1 1/2'' piece of wood around the top of the box but it has a nice lip under it and i hid it there.

dos anyone know a good way of taking pics of neons at night? but with out a very high pricy camera?
Attached Thumbnails R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand-new10.jpg  
Old 06-29-2003, 12:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Rally Sport
Engine: LO3
Ugh. Why is everyone always arguing about neons being of the "import with lots of appearance mods and no performance mods" persuasion? Neons DO go back a LONG way. As someone else said, the first cars I ever remember seeing neons on were mid-to-late 80s Pro Street cars painted black, usually with a bright blue grid painted somewhere on em and a splash of hot pink and bright green or yellow paint too. My brother has neons on his '88 IROC and it looks pretty good, but I would never do that to my car.

Whatever happened to blacklights? What would be REALLY cool looking at night would be if someone figured out how to illuminate some DIY white face guages so that the paper glowed under the blacklight (some laundry detergent would probably work here) and the numbers remained black for a kind of indiglow look. Now THAT would be sweet!
Old 06-29-2003, 05:03 AM

Hey "acidboy" I'm not trying to oneup you or anything but just wanted to put my 2Cents in as well, the only reason you got backlash on that was not because you stated your opinon, which although I don't agree with it I am a mature adult and will respect it without going into a name calling contest or something stupid like that. The reason you had people playing smackdown with you is because you kept stating it after someone else dissagreed with you... Hell you even quoted yourself. "It's embarassing to me, to my passangers, and to anyone who drives a goddam Chevrolet in the first place." Maybe thats why I don't have a problem with neon(not the car those suck) I drive Pontiacs, 79 formula 400 and a 92 firebird 305

P.S. Acidboy, I definatly agree with you on those "fart cans" or 2cycle lawnmower mufflers as I call them, the 80ft sluminum spoilers, and the overkill use of neon "hey look my pedals, shift ****, wheels, headlights and fuzzy dice glow and strobe flash annoyingly at oncomming traffic I'm cool".
Old 06-29-2003, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Spdfrk1990
i thought about putting neons here up behind the mesh. Thought it would look good at cruze ins and such. Good idea??

I think that would look cool just don't go overboard with it, I'd say get a 4 or 6 inch tube inbetween the two grills like right behind the bowtie that way you have kind of a diffused non glaring look, your car looks pretty badass are those crytal clear headlamps?
Old 06-29-2003, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

nope just stock replacements from autozone and only 2 of them r new
Old 06-29-2003, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Spdfrk1990
nope just stock replacements from autozone and only 2 of them r new
Get a pair of the clear turn signals those look pretty cool I see them on ebay for a decent price now and again.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Supreme Member

yeh i got new parkin lights i wanted to get some turn signals sometime. Right now im putting all my money into buildin a 383
Old 06-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc Z28
Engine: The KING of the 3rd gen TPI's.
Transmission: Beefed up T5
Axle/Gears: Aussie 3.45's
Originally posted by Cruzin Kaz
As for blue lights... Azure is from here in Canada, and we don't have some of the same rules when it comes to blue lights on automobiles as some American states do.

I'm from Toronto CANADA and just ask any cop....he'll tell you that any colour other than yellow (amber) or white that is visible from the front part of the car is not legal. Personally I don't care but since we are talking legal.....nor could I care about neon lights. Why not add a disco ball while you're at it. No offense my friend....I just think it's tacky ( domestic or import). But to each his own

Last edited by freestylzz; 06-29-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 5-Speed
actually blue lights in canada is not illegal.

i have a blue scanner and a cop pulled me over one time because he thought i had a radar detector (which are illegal in canada)...

he looked, smiled, and said "oh, so you're impersonating a snow removal vehicle! hahah"... and drove off...

blue lights is snow removal in canada
Old 06-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Originally posted by 12 Sec GTA
Watch the velcro.. after time the glue will not hold from the heat... Just a warning... Would be bad if it fell into the engine and found it's way to the front.

And, for the standard disclaimer:

I respect the fact that it is your car, and you will mod it how you see fit.. But by posting pictures on the board you are asking for input & criticism whether you mean to or not. With that being said, you can skip over the following comments if you don't want to read them.

I think they look like total ***.

They tubes are visible.
The glow is irritating to the eyes.
They are VERY illegal (blue or red lights)
The interior ones are WAY too bright. (and too many of them)

2Fast2Furious was already filmed.. they aren't looking for thirdgens.
I agree 100% with this whole post besides for the fact that he took the time to type a disclaimer.

Quick Reply: R*cer Neons - Pics By Demand