Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Warning! USAA insurance, esp. those who show your car….

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Warning! USAA insurance, esp. those who show your car….

Not sure where this should be, but since my problem with USAA is due to the appearance up keep and practices I engage in…here seems good!

Well I was with USAA up until a year ago…
Over the 14 year period, I had only 2 accidents that were technically my fault, though no ticket was issued to me either time!

The first was 13 years ago, on private property. I was pulling out of a parking place. I looked down the row and saw no one coming either way, so I pulled out. Well this girl was in a hurry to leave & cut through some parking spaces to rush to get in line to leave. Well I never looked there. I hit here as she tired to squeeze b/w me and the other row of cars. I had not time to stop…Well no ticket was issued and she changed her story 3-4 times. The insurance company came back on me because she found someone to be a witness to her lie!

The 2nd…a girl started to pull out into an intersection and then decided to stop once she was out in it. I honestly saw her go and the road was clear so I pulled out. I never looked back to see that she had stopped once she was ½ in the intersection. So Usaa called that my fault, even though she admitted as much to the officer and he wrote the report to reflect it!

Now my other claims were all hit and runs or vandalism. I was hit at the mall once, and then was keyed 2X. Can’t remember what else, but it was not my fault!
Then I was vandalized a year and a half ago… Well they broke this single claim down into 7 claims. Each body panel was counted as a different claim. I had no idea why they were doing this. Well 6 months later I found out. They said they wanted me off my mom’s policy because I was too old. And then the underwriters said they would not insure me. It was because I had like 13 claims in 14 years. I said 7 were one claim….but that is not what the underwrite sees.

So this tactic of theirs gave them enough ammo to cancel my insurance policy with them! Well fine, ok, whatever. It was unfair, but even with the vandalism counting as one claim, 7 total was still a high number. Esp. since the hit & runs fell under uninsured motorist and they had to pay! So I went with someone else!

Well then a few months back they have the audacity to call my mother to check up on me to be sure I had gotten car insurance elsewhere. Even after I had told them as much. They were going to turn me into GA for not having insurance after they canceled me! Like they have any business knowing my business after canceling me!
So she informs them I’m insured!

So every thing is fine till I was rearended in May. I was driving the Dually…this is why I have not been posting much as of late! Too much going on… Well Again I say I was rearended, so it was not my fault! The girl had GEICO. Well GEICO paid to fix the truck. Her car was totaled. GEICO agreed to pay my medical expenses, but only after I was done being treated. So I had to call USAA. This is who Mom is still with and who covers the dually. Well because of GEICO’s waiting USAA has had to pay for my medical expenses, for now, through Medpay. They will be reimbursed by GEICO. When I’m done being treated…

So on to the present…Mom gets a letter last night from USAA. They have stated that they will not renew her cars (6000 LE or the dually) insurance, or the house’s insurance due to the fact that my car is engaging in high risk/.high exposure activities (car shows). Now they no longer insure my car. I’m no longer under mom’s insurance. But they will not renew her policy because of my car & me. If something happens to the house they will not cover it because I live there and my car resides there. If I’m driving one of her cars, that they insure, they will not cover me or any damage that may occur, be it my fault or not, if there is an accident! All because I show my car!

Have you ever heard of such a load of crap! She called the underwriter and they tried to say that cars shows cause too high of an exposure & risk. Mom said it’s a beauty contest for cars…they sputtered and started to back petal…they then said it was because there were too many claims… Again on a car they no longer insure. What does this have to do with the house? So now they say we have had too many claims and are uninsurable! 7 of which they basically trumped up. My mother has been with them for 30 years and has had very few claims. Apparently the average person, according to USAA, has insurance that has high deductibles and they only claim once every 14 years. We have had more claims then this and have low deductibles, so we are too much of a risk! And they are considering me being rearended in the Dually as a claim. I did not do it! WE, esp she should not be blamed for an accident someone else caused!

So I think everyone should be aware of these ridiculous practices going on at USAA. I plan to call the insurance commissioner and have a long talk with him/her! If you are with USAA be warned. Don’t file a claim & don’t let them know you show your car.

As I said, I’m with State Farm now…They know I show the car. They said they don’t have a problem with it. They will cover me 100% Mom is switching her coverage to them! I recommend you change you coverage to someone else if you are with them, so you don’t get screwed too!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 355TPI 380hp
Transmission: Rebuilt 700r w/ Transgo Shift Kit
I think that just sucks, but on the other hand, I think you'll like State Farm. I've been with them since I was old enough to drive. I've been in two different accidents and they took care of everything without trying to worm out of it. So this may be a blessing in disguise.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
That's ridiculous... good luck with State Farm!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that sux, i actually am with USAA. I've only claimed once when a brick was thrown thru my front windshield, They sent someone over here to replace it for free, and paid for repairing the hood. I didnt know some of the **** they would do!!! when my car was keyed i said **** it, im not calling em. GOOD THING!!! i guess i'll try to make as few claims as possible. If **** starts acting up i'll def. switch companies... sorry to hear about all that
Old 06-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

Car: Trans am
thanks for the info , i have state farn and have had good luck with them , next year im getting grundy .
Old 06-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 06 SRM M6 GTO, 98 Grand Prix GTP
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear about your luck. I think you'll have better luck with State Farm, thats who I have, and I have never had a problem with them. Its funny, when I first started driving, I called around, and was unnable to get insured becasue I had my license less than a year and I had a sports car, but then I called State Farm and their policy was cheaper than just about everyone I knew!