Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Thinking about painting car myself. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about painting car myself. Advice?

I have an 88 GTA. It's white and the paint is okay I guess, but it has a lot of chips in it, and there are places on the rear deck and roof where the clear coat is gone and the paint is starting to flake off. It's one of those cars that was paintd in California and got a crap paint job. Anyways, I want to repaint it before it gets out of hand. I want to turn my garage into a paint booth. I could afford to have it painted, but I am the type of guy who likes to do everything myself. I was thinking about getting some plastic and masking off a little "room" or paint booth in my garage. I'd hose it out and try to get as much dust out as possible. I'd also get a couple filters and fans for ventilation. I just want to repaint it white again. Nothing special. Should I take all the GFX off? What should I use to mask the car off? What kind of paint gun should I buy? What brand? What brand of paint should I buy? How much? If anybody has any advice on how to do this, please let me know! Matt
Old 06-15-2003, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 08 Sierra, 08 Silverado, 91 z28
Engine: 5.3, 4.3, 5.7
Transmission: autos
im about to do this probably within the months, i have a paint gun from harbor freight tools, it holds one quart or paint, im gonna get my paint are duron probably, and paint at work in a garage they made into a paint booth
Old 06-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
go with a HVLP(high volume low pressure) gun especially if you dont have a 2 stage compressor
Old 06-15-2003, 09:40 PM

Car: '86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Well...
You need to take off the ground effects, take off the doors, take off the hood, take off the hatch. Then mask the windows because taking them out is a pain in the toosh. You need 2-3 spray guns, 1 for primer, 1 for paint, and 1 for clear coat unless you get base coat clear coat then you just need 2 guns. Anywho, What kind of paint are you getting? A light color or dark color? If it is light, get a light primer, if it is dark, get a dark primer, if it is black paint, get black primer, otherwise the primer could bleed through. Just take your time and sand everything down properly and you shouldn't have any problems. Heck, a friend of mine painted his Cougar outside and he had no problems, his paint came out beautiful, only a few peices of dirt were in it. Skill is only 5% of the battle, the rest is how you go about the work.