Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

New pics of Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 09:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
New pics of Trans Am

Well, since 86FyrBrd hasn't whored the boards recently with pics of HIS car, I will ***** the board with pics of MY car

These are the pics you weren't meant to see, some of the little problems that I will be fixing.

In here, there are pics that I have already done to the car, such as actually mounting the electronic exhaust cutout switch. But there are also things that I need some suggestions about.

For instance, the 4th gen console, if you look at some of those pics, you can see what kind of shape it is in, from the upper console part not being attached, to the fact that it sticks out funny. I think the console needs to be moved up a few inches, but of course, that is not possible. However, would it be possible to move it forward with a 4th gen dash? And if so, could I be able to put in an automatic console instead? I need to have my shift indicator light

No pics of the engine as of yet, but I will get some for those who want to see it.

Anyway, onto the pics!

http://elite-fraggers.org/sonarun/TransAm/03-30-03/
Old 03-30-2003, 09:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: factory T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 limited slip
wow, how much did you pay for it again, im kinda suprised by the headliner damage, mines stock from 84 and still has a perfect headliner, either way though that is one sweet ride:hail:
Old 03-30-2003, 09:36 AM
TGO Supporter

I paid a good amount of money for it.. I am actually very suprised to see the headliner, sailpanels and visors in this condition. I knew they were bad, but I think they shoulda been replaced when the overhead console was put in.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro Z28/1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 tpi/350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
It is a very nice car. Do you regret buying it now or wish you had paided a little less? Needless to say it is a very nice car just needs a little TLC.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200C
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Did all T-tops have overhead consoles?
Old 03-30-2003, 11:14 AM

I thought that car was in better condition than it is. I would be kind of dissapointed in the buy. How much do you think it is going to cost you to fix?
Old 03-30-2003, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Sonar, good news for ya.

My center console is in MUCH better shape than that. Whenever I get home for the summer, if you haven'f fixed it already, we'll yank it out and take a dremel to it to fix it.

The guy in liberty can fix all that sail-panel, headliner, whatnot for you. You won't be disappointed.

That overhead center-console doesn't look all too bad. However, it looks like you need a new back light cover and the flashlight. That will make it look alot better...not to mention justify its placement (thankyou flashlight )

I don't know what to do about that dash. It's pretty hacked up behind that LCD. Perhaps you are in line for a 4th gen dash. If not...we can scrour some junkyards one day and yank a third gen one for you.

IM me later.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:34 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: Stock L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: Stock rebuilt tranny with 2k stall and cooler.
I dont know what you paid but if it was top dollar Id be a little upset but whats wrong is minimal I guess?? Unless that pic is deceiving you have zero ground clearance with your exhaust hanging down like that, is it a problem for you?? Thats the problem with buying cars over the net, you never get to truely see what youre buying and if youre the type that stresses the small details it pays to buy local cars so you know what youre getting into before hand. Still a nice car tho, congrats and good luck with it.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:50 PM
TGO Supporter

Yeah, I am going to have to do something about that exhaust, it hangs way too low, I have to take it to a good exhaust shop. I have already scraped on speedbumps. I will get it done the same time I put in SFC's.

3.1EyeCandy - Yes, 4th gen dash install is in the future for this car. As early as this summer. I am seriously considering it, I think that dash would make this car complete, what with all its 4th gen stuff on it already.

I have some cool ideas for the visors, which will drive up the cost, but if that guy in liberty can do custom stuff, I would like to have it done, I think it will make the car that much nicer.

As for the headliner, I really need to get that fixed, but nothing will happen until I at least sell my current car.

I have only had the camaro up for sale for a few days and I am getting tons of inquiries about it. Lots of people are even telling me that $5,500 is a real good price, if not too low. I think that its actually a little high for the car, but considering the shape, I am sure it will go to a good buyer.

Now, for all of you who think I am disappointed in the car. Let me just say that I am not. I did pay a good bit for the car, but what I was mostly buying was the engine, the paint/bodywork, and etc. The car itself is in good condition with little to no rust. Of course, all cars have some good things and bad things about them, nothing is perfect. I myself created much hype over getting the car. I was shot down a little bit, but as all thirdgenners like us... I only see the potential of the car, not its follies. This car will be amazing when I fix all the little things that needs to be fixed.

Thats another thing, they are all really minor things. Nothing incredibly major, I already fixed a few things with about a few hours of work, and I felt much better about the car. It will take me while (espically if I don't sell my car quick) but I think I will enjoy this car for quite some time.

Now onto the camaro, I already am spoiled by the Trans Am. While the camaro is in great condition, there are little things about it that are driving me nuts now. I already would rather drive the trans am places.

All in all, I think my purchase was decent, it was alot for a thirdgen, but I think it was worth it.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: 700R4 3500 stall, TransGo shift kit
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 4.11:1
Originally posted by Sonar_un
I already would rather drive the trans am places.
I wish I had to make the decision of which sweet ride to drive every day