Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Theft risk of thirdgens (mine in particular)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft risk of thirdgens (mine in particular)...

Okay, I am going to bring my trans am up to school with me at Syracuse New York, a medium sized city. I will be parking it in a student lot next to my dorm, but will be driving it and parking it in the city, but in well lit buisness areas mainly.

I worry about theft and people breaking in. Is my stereo a high risk target? its a 200 watt pioneer deck with detachable face. i also could put my 2 12" subs in with 180 watt amp, but theft is a worry with those. Do people break into these kind of cars often and target them?

Other worry perhaps is joy riding. Well my trans am was an LG4, it now has a moderately healthy motor under the hood, that can be seen via the air cleaner in the cowl. It also sound rather mean with the lope at idle and the exhaust. I also have a 5.7 Liter HO badge on the back bumper. I worry someone will hear it and figure hey its fast lets go joy riding.

Am I worrying over nothing? Syracuse University students (I go to the SUNY school on campus) are VERY well off, and I figure my car won't be a likely hit with lexus, M3's, and hgih dollar sport utes around. And Im parking in a school lot. I figure Im over reacting with my car that might be worth 4 grand if Im lucky. Here's a pick. Assess my theft risk:
Attached Thumbnails Theft risk of thirdgens (mine in particular)...-image001.jpg  
Old 02-20-2003, 04:31 PM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Its like anything if its easy to get into and or they feel like it anything can be stolen. Just keep it locked, take the faceplate out and keep the subs out of it or out of site. Then there is pretty much no reason for them to steal it especially if there are higher end cars around it.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Anything can get stolen. I mean, some people are desperate enough to steal the stock cassette radio. Take your face plate with you and lock your doors. That is the best advice I can give you.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:03 PM

Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
Install a security system with a starter kill, that will keep the joyriders from getting any joy.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:14 PM

I went a year up there back in 89' & never had any problems. I had a 79 Fiat 2000. Just hope those drunk frat boys don't decide to mess w/ your car.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: 283
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
my advice to you........there are alot of crazy people out there...put a coat or towel or blanket over your subs...& take the faceplate off.....& of course KEEP IT LOCKED!!! & buy a security system for it...
Old 02-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These are easy cars to break into as well as steal. College students won't be the ones messing with it. Its the hood rats and crackheads that know where to find nice cars. Some of the best neighbordhoods in town get strings of robberies every now n then because the thugs go cruizing through neighborhoods where they know people can actually afford to buy stuff worth their time to steal. At the minimum, besides taking your face plate off (and don't just leave it in the car like my brother does) because they'll look around the inside of the car for it, get your back window tinted. If you're going to leave it in one place for a long time, honestly, I'd just take the subs and box out for the time being. Sorry, just silghtly burned on the subject since I've been broke into before, and this town has just been going downhill for the last 10 years.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

People will steal your car for joyriding/stereo removal. It has happened to me. Granted, this was in Atlanta, a little different than where you are. The truth is though, that even if they never hear the car run or know what the badges mean, it still looks like a blast to drive. At the very least, put some sort of kill switch in. It won't keep anybody from getting in or from trashing the interior or stealing things from it, it will keep you car from moving. An alarm will deter at least some joyriders as well. I use both, and would love to add a removable steering wheel to the theft protection.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:03 PM

Car: 87 Camaro LT.
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Be sure to take your detachable face plate with you. If you have a tilt wheel, you can buy a lock that goes around it. You can buy a club to put on your steering wheel. You can wire a little flashing red light into your dash. These are all cheap alternates to not having a security system. But if you have the money for an alarm, that is waaay better than any of these "so so" precautions i am talking about.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
This is the best way I've found to keep the car from being stolen/joyriden. Get yourself a Grant wheel and the kit that allows you to remove it from the car. It will be undriveable and the only way it can be stolen is if they drag it onto a flatbed or hook it.

I go to school right outside of Trenton and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

That's why when my VATS system malfunctioned , even though it was a PITA to diagnose, I never wanted to bypass it. It may not stop the pros but the amateurs don't stand a chance. I have a club too for a little extra protection.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 firebird now
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
You should try to get one of those shades that used to come with the cars that go from the back seat to the end of the hatch, it does not look like your hiding anything and no one can tell you have subs then.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am glad my car has vats...
also i just saw a commercial for the autolock, looks like a nice piece...
Old 02-20-2003, 11:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI LO3
Viper just came out with one for 500 bucks..comes with a keychain pager good for 2000 ft...if you can park close to your room..keep it next to you and if it goes off go beat the person down..also for an extra 100 bucks u can get 2 proximity sensors tossed in above the doors so u know that no one is pullin back the window to get in
Old 02-20-2003, 11:54 PM

Car: '86 SC
Engine: '88 2.8L
At the moment I have no subs to worry about, but I always just remove my faceplate and take it with me. Never had anyone break into the car... and even if they did, they'd have a hell of a time stealing it, because I have one of those club-type things that actually locks the brake pedal in place. I'd like to see them drive it away without being able to push the brake pedal....
Old 02-21-2003, 12:26 AM

Car: Tahoe
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
Lasco international for smash proof glass coatings

Shave door handles

Protect and move the door unlocking actuators

Good alarm : DEI or Ungo with starter kill and integrated pager/ status/ remote

$2000 just to **** off any body that would ever even think about getting in
Old 02-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Banned

I'm telling you the Grant kit is the best thing in the world. No offence but who pays attention these days when an alarm goes off?
If a thief is planning on stealing the car and they see no wheel in it they are more than likely going to move on. Things inside the car such as stereo equipment is a different story. I have a detachable faceplate and my sub is covered by the rear shade and I have never had a problem. That's more a matter of not attracting attention to it by playing it loud near the area it's parked.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:22 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Your stereo is at a huge risk on a college campus & surrounding areas. I went to RIT (about 1.5 hours from 'cuse) and had my stereo stolen the first semester I was there. I learned the hard way that you absolutely do NOT want to play your music and draw attention to yourself. Keep it low key, and get a good alarm. It might not prevent a random smash & grab thief, but if a pro can't get in and get out quickly, he's going to target something else.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Tinted Windows
Good Alarm
Don't play music loud all over the place
Old 02-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: =350 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I agree with Jim,I live 1o minutes from Su Dont tell anyone you have a big system And watch where you play it up in the Su area and hide as much of it as you can.There is definatly crime in that area.As far as stealing your car i dont think you have alot to worry about. Imports and SUV are most likely to get stolen around here.I used to go up there on tuesday nights and park my car up there at the campusAnd i never had a problem but outside the campus is different.....
Old 02-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
I have had TWO cars stolen in the last year and a half (an 86 Regal T-Type and an 87 GN)...the latter of which had a club, an alarm with a starter kill, AND the fuel pump harness disconnected. I'm shaving the door handles on my TA, going with a much better alarm with a pager, and maybe the steering wheel thing, too. The club is a joke.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Agree with all of what's being said here. Had my system stolen only IN small towns, never in a big city. It was from an '85 Dodge Charger, can't imagine the target a good looking F-body becomes. Same rules apply though as everyone states here... Keep it low key, don't thump through neighborhoods where just anyone can hear it, and turn it way down a couple of blocks before you park the car as to not draw attention to yourself. Covering the subs doesn't work unless you have a real hatch cover as I found out when another system was stolen from my '83 S-10 blazer I had covered with a large blanket... They break in just to see what's under there... Get an alarm, add a pager if you can't park close to your dorm, or take it all out... it's the only way!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Can someone explain what the heck shaving door handles means? Or post a pic? Needless to say this is a term I've never heard before.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

It refers to removing the doorhandles and locks and welding up the holes. This is on my girlfriend's car; we did it ourselves. My 87 TA is getting the same treatment, I just got the kit from Summit yesterday.

To get in the car, you have to use solenoids in the doors to pull the latches, and usually a door popper ( a small spring loaded stainless steel plunger that pushes the door away from the jamb).
Most people activate them with a remote (mines a 10 channel that will activate just about anything).
Attached Thumbnails Theft risk of thirdgens (mine in particular)...-shaved.jpg  
Old 02-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks man. Never seen a car with the handles shaved. Looks pretty kool. But it still leaves the window as possible entry.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Supreme Member

True, but thats pretty loud when you break a window in a car...and thats what the glass sensors are for. Any car can be stolen, but if you do enough things to prevent it 90% of thieves will move on.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

Being a collateral recovery agent (repo man )for over 15 years, give you a few pointers...

The Grant removeable steering wheel is the best invention I have ever seen. Get one.

Alarms: Code Alarm is one of the hardest systems to bypass unless you're a pro and know what you're doing. DEI systems are nice and have lots of features, but guess what? Unplug the wiring harness and its bypassed. Bottom line here is a pro will get by almost any system. Don't let it be a false sense of security.

The Club: Useless. A hacksaw to your steering wheel renders them useless. They're a great deterrent, but if they want your car, chances are they will get it.

Kill switch: If installed and activated by a factory accessory switch they can be next to impossible to bypass. Excellent investment.

Column collars or protectors: Excellent investment. 3rd gen steering columns are vulnerable to theives. A theif with a tire iron in hand can have your unprotected car in less than 2 minutes with his only tool being a tire iron.

Shaved door handles: Useless. Break the window, reach inside and open the door. Not always a feasible option to the theif, but in a area where nobody is around to see a theft, breaking the window is way too easy to do.

Heres a way to prevent theft if you already have an alarm or plan on installing one... Install a strobe light in the interior of the vehicle. Not a cheesy Pep boys one, but one thats bright. It will blind the hell out of a potential theif. He can't take your radio or attempt to steal the car if he's blinded. Also may want to install a loud peize siren inside the car. You can hook one up to a timer. If you're the only person that knows its in there you will be able to turn it off before it wails. Same goes for the strobe. Hook them up to a timer set for one minute. If a theif gets in he won't know either are there and will go about his business. Until the lights and siren go off blinding and deafening him.

Another thing too...if you live in a house- get a dog. Dogs can hear footsteps half a block away.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

How about a halon fire supression system tied into the alarm??? If the thief doesn't get out, the ba$tard will suffocate!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:36 PM

Car: 89 IROCZ28
Engine: 350TPI
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Gears
For me a good sensitive alarm with led in highly viewable area, tinted back window with rear shade pulled to cover subs, club, faceplate removed, and car cover. I realize the car cover will tend to attract attention for those curious of what is under it, but as soon as that cover is even slightly moved the alarm goes off. Who's gonna want to mess with removing a huge blue cover then shutting up an alarm, then getting in, then getting a club off, then getting the car started all before I call the cops or someone else does? I wouldn't. Maybe I'm nuts but I haven't had any problems yet.

Ryan
Old 02-22-2003, 05:17 PM

Best security system... Lower the windows 1/4 of the way and put your pitbull in the car. Oh and make sure you don't leave him there very long and hope he doesn't rip up your seats.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:01 AM

Speaking from experience, i think your biggest problem will be getting your car scratched, dinged and vandizied. since i've been in college, i have had my antenna bent, i've been hit several times that i know about in the parking lot, and since i didn't chek on my car every day i don't know when or who did it, and i have a bunch of small scratches on the roof(keyed). But i havn't had anyone try and break into my car. But when my brother was in college a few years ago someone drilled his freshly restored 79 camaro. Just something to think about.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:14 AM

Car: Camaro of course
Park next to the very side of the lot, and park diagonaly so you take up two spaces. Get a alarm, maybe a locking cover.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:17 AM

Just realized i forgot to say they drilled the lock on his 79 camaro. STill didn't get in though.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:46 AM

a thought about alarm led's going along with the 'dont draw attention' idea

If your car looks ordinary, a blinking light on the dash might say to someone 'I'm protecting something."

If you had the led somewhere like in the console, or the radio area. Then people walking by may not suspect your car has anything they might want (as they can't see light), but people already interested, and looking in the car through the windows or from the back will see the led and know they have an alarm to deal with.

I think this is a good idea, because I know whenever i see a blinking led on an older car, or one of those 'tracer' alarm indcators on any car, i wonder what it's got in it. But the same car without the led or tracer, would be just another normal car.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:26 AM

Car: Camaro of course
Or get a few paper towl tubes, stuff em, put ends on them, paint them, tape about 5 togther, get a old digital watch drill three holes in the watch and put a red black and green wire from the watch to the tubes. Leave that in the drivers seat. NO ONE WILL MESS WITH YOUR CAR. just make sure you park where no little old parinoid lady will look in.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:01 AM

I really want to take the car up with me, and Im not to worried about my deck getting stolen. I will leave the stereo out I think, but then again its really pretty cheap stereo equiptment, but not worth the risk. My camaro hasnt recevied any new dings, dents or scratches. My main concern was joyriding. Sad to say, Im pretty good at doing body work, and may just take it up for a week or so. But I see so many better (value wise) cars up here that have nothing done to them. My other concern is idiots who just move doors out, but Ive got the rubber molding on the die of my car. As for the steering wheel, I really like my leather Trans Am one, and doubt Id change.

I will not drive the car next year as Ill have to park off campus, and I do not trust my camaro down there let alone my t/a.

Best security system... Lower the windows 1/4 of the way and put your pitbull in the car. Oh and make sure you don't leave him there very long and hope he doesn't rip up your seats.
I have a lab pit bull mix. She would probably tear my car aprt out of seperation anxiety. The dog has emotional problems. Im more intimidated by cat. She sounds mean, but is like an LO3 (sorry to guys with LO3's, I used to have an LG4), where there isnt any bite to back it up.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedRS
Park next to the very side of the lot, and park diagonaly so you take up two spaces.
That will get you towed at just about any university parking lot.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:05 AM

Car: 2001 Firehawk - SLP Longtubes
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
When I lived in a high crime area of Jersey, I used to pull the fuel pump fuse everytime I parked the car. After time, I got so good at it, I could remove it without even looking at the block.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
My sub is in a custom box in the well of the rear hatch....i have the cover that attaches to the hatch as well, so it covers the sub and the amp which is on the hump behind the rear seat. i have a pioneer deck as well, i always just take off the plate...

as far as stealing my whole car, if anyone except me can succeed in getting that thing started and moving they probably deserve it lol. seriously though, if someone got into it and the alarm didnt go off......i would hear it running from just about anyplace long before it got warmed up enough to move it. then its beat down city....

if i caught someone trying to break into/steal my car i would beat them so hard they'd be on queer street for a month
Old 02-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi
I remember about a carjacking deterrant only legal in Africa. It involves small pipes that extend under the doors and shoot out a wall of flame on either side of the car during a car jacking.

Would be sooooo cool to have one rigged up when someone opens the car door without deactivating the alarm first.

Now THATS a theft deterrant for the little sociopath in us all.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Well, for me I want any theft provention I can get....I'd be so pissed if I caught the person that did it, they'd be in a hospital for a very long time.

I hadn't heard of that Grant wheel, but I'd probably get it. And I plan on putting a kill switch on the starter, and the fuel pump, and a system my dad came up with, where you push in the brake pedel, turn a hidding key switch with a key you have and it locks the brakes until you unlock it. So they cant steal it without a flatbed truck to take it, and I dont plan on being anywhere they can actualy use a flatbed to take it. And if they tried to tow it, they would draw a lot of attension with the wheels screetching and the alarm going off.

And I like that strobe light and sieren idea for the stereo theft prevention.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

the flame thrower thing your talking about is from south africa...carjacking got so bad there they basically gave people free reign......you can do anything necessary to stop the carjacker.

the brake lock thing your talking about is done using a line lock....but i dont think you want to do that. line locks are not designed to be on for any length of time, and it will get very hot if left on which could be a fire hazard as well as killing your battery.

ive always wanted to hook up my coil to the door handles, but havent for several reasons....im afraid of being sued, and i KNOW id get myself with it eventually.

if you want to stop a person from stealing your car or stereo get an alarm that has pain sirens.....just make sure you never set it off while your inside the car, lol you wont forget that anytime soon.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally posted by SuperchargedRS
Or get a few paper towl tubes, stuff em, put ends on them, paint them, tape about 5 togther, get a old digital watch drill three holes in the watch and put a red black and green wire from the watch to the tubes. Leave that in the drivers seat. NO ONE WILL MESS WITH YOUR CAR. just make sure you park where no little old parinoid lady will look in.
LOL! There's an idea!

Could we get some more info on the Grant wheel?
Old 02-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Here you go...too bad it won't work with a factory wheel. I like the factory wheel in my TA.
http://www.grantproducts.com/idea.html
Old 02-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23
thanks, should've checked the site

lol, gee I wonder if it will fit my camaro:

Old 02-24-2003, 02:00 PM

Well, I didnt mean a line lock, although it would do the similar thing, but could be left on for a long period of time with no problem.

But I'd probably do the siren thing.

And the coil to the door handle will most likely get you sued, since someone could claim they were just walking by and they brushed by it and it shocked them.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by ratedrookie
Even better...there was a girl who kept a snake in her car. She came out & there was this guy petrafied sitting in the drivers seat. If I remember right, she came out to see the cops had been called and animal control came out. The guy was still in shock when the remeoved the snake and got him out of the car. It was a boa I think, so it was not even going to hurt him.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

That's the kit I was talking about earlier. I have it in my car and I can sleep sound at night knowing the fine Trenton youth aren't joyriding my car around.
It's easy to install and use, you just get a lot of odd looks when you're walking around with a steering wheel in your hand.

Old 02-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Lessk
Well, I didnt mean a line lock, although it would do the similar thing, but could be left on for a long period of time with no problem.

But I'd probably do the siren thing.

And the coil to the door handle will most likely get you sued, since someone could claim they were just walking by and they brushed by it and it shocked them.
i know what that system is, its called a MICO brake lock.....although there are other companies that make them....they are used on large trucks primarily and help to keep them from moving on inclines and such. i have one in my GMC 7000 series.....they dont work that great. any thief that wants your car could just open the hood and break a line then it wouldnt do anything. besides if they are stealing it they dont really care about it that much, you will have enough power to drive through the brakes, maybe not really fast though.

if someone wants your car, theres really no way to stop them fro taking it if they are a professional
Old 02-25-2003, 11:28 AM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: manual
Well my car was broken into in october and i made it really easy to steal my deck. i had the radio just sitting in the console because i had been working on it. well some thugs broke the lock off my passenger door and yanked the deck. they also stole my change tray which had about 32 cents in it. A$$holes!! well the cops came out and i made them dust the car. turns out 3 months later i get a letter in the mail that the DA is charging some dude for B&E my car. Sweet!! so i'll be following this case closely, turns out the guy is part of an organized crime group. dont ever hesitate to have the cops dust your car. if i hadnt i would have never found out who ripped me off. i actually though my neighbor had done it. also i bolted my sub box through the floorpan so there is no way theyre getting that out. i tried to pull it out after my deck was stolen and forgot that i bolted it down. talk about heavy. took me about 2 minutes to wonder why i couldnt budge it and inch. and alarms are good, but only as a warning to let you know someone is messing with your car and to get out there fast, noone else is going to do anything but complain about the noise.

Quick Reply: Theft risk of thirdgens (mine in particular)...