Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad luck

Have been trying to do a little restro but nothing seems to be going right.My dash pad was cracked on drivers side so ordered one to replace it.Arrived by ups and almost a foot of the passenger side was bent all the way underneath. So ordered another one.Arrived and was cracked in the same place as original. ordered a hatch rebuild kit got it all put back together and installed and motor died so now trunk lid wont close and it bumps up and down when I drive. Ordered chrome ws6 center caps and recieved chrome with the firebird emblem on them. Need a little bit of encouragement here::
Old 02-06-2003, 10:16 AM

Car: 89 WS6 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI w/ some mods done
Transmission: Modified THM700R4
Eh yeah i know what you mean there man. Ive went through my share of probs with mine.. Seems like whenever i get a decent idea to do something to her......something stops it from actually happeneing. I had the same prob with my center caps....and ordered them right from GM!. Unreal.....gm people dont know what came on a gm car and all they had to do was look it up on the comp......dumb lazy people. I just got my dash pad in bout a week ago.....looks perfect. Just needs a lil black magic. Ive been chattin alot with This guy Kevin from Extremeauto. I beleive his suer name on the boards is Extreme3rdgens. Anyways...if you need any parts at all let him know....real nice guy and throws a decent price. Keep your chin up man and your car before you know it will look like a brand new one.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Camaro SC
Engine: V6
Transmission: 700r4
Just stick with it and one day you will finish. It took me almost 2 years to fix my car up from being a 85 SC to looking like a 88 SC. My original pad was cracked too, went through heck to find a perfect one, all the days spent in the j/y finding parts for my car. Skipping many lunch breaks to get a black interior for my car. The year and a half it took the tard azz to rebuild my V6, even though I had it paid off in one month I polished my alt,plenum and welded in a special emblem that I created"look at my avatar its real" Polished and chromed my valve covers, and found a set of 85 Zrims and polished them to, I just need to paint all the white parts black and put on the center caps.
Then adding the gfx's were a pain because of how much money classic industries tried to bone me up the azz for shipping a bumper cover to me "900.00" for a 250.00 bumper. Nearly passing out in the j/y getting a complete front end off of a IROC. Finding all nessacary pieces for the gfx to put on the car.
At least stripping all 6 layers of paint was fun in the middle of winter, its alwasy fun when a da sander is shotting out icesickles onto your hand for hours on end. I even painted my SC last summer that was about the only fun thing I ever really did to the car. After many setbacks and tribulations I have nearly finished up my project, I just got little things to finish up.

Last edited by 85SportCoupeto89RS; 02-06-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:25 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Well, I see you're from SC. Have you heard of Hawk's Thirdgen parts? Check out the orange sponsor banner at the top of the page. Bruce Hawkins is great to deal with, and in your case, you can drive to his location I'm not sure how far it is for you, but I'd always prefer to drive rather than ship if possible. You can see what you're getting, no shipping cost..etc, etc.

Keep at it, no matter what. My car interior resto has been a 2 year work in progress, and it should finally be 99% done this spring. I've been collecting parts when I see good deals, and now the bodywork is done(car is actually still at the shop). I'm gonna put in carpet in a week or two. JUST KEEP AT IT!!!! It will be worth it in the end.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:05 PM

Car: 1987 GTA Hardtop
Engine: 350 T. P. I.
Hang in there.....

If its any consolation, the problems you describe happen often no matter where you buy parts or how old or new the vehicle. Just be patient & hang in there, I know its discouraging but it will be worth all the hassle in the long run. Good Luck:lala: