Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Car Cover Mildew?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Cover Mildew?

I have been warned by 2 people that a car cover will cause your car to mildew on the inside. I bought a NOAH car cover from Classic Industries and I just started using it today and I am concerned. I plan to take the car out from under the car cover once every 2 weeks. Will this be enough time to keep the car from building up mildew on the inside. It is under a carport.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:33 PM

Car: 89 WS6 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI w/ some mods done
Transmission: Modified THM700R4
No offense to anyone but i dont know where they got that one from. Or maybe it was in a run of car covers or something. Maybe its the weather or the moisture that causes it im not sure but ive never seen that with mine at all. Im using a noah car cover from classic industries as well. Its a thick material with a dotted pattern on it. Ive been using mine for over 2 years now and i havent seen any mildew on mine. Right now ive got the cover on her plus a tarp so the ice doesnt stick as much and harm the paint. So far i dont have any probs with the cover except where im from ive got alot of pine trees around and when them pine needed hit the underside of the cover.....they just dont like to come off. Hope this helps ya though.

Last edited by TorchRay; 02-02-2003 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Irocz, 95 Z28, 71 Z28 /RS
Engine: 355 Tpi, LT1, 355
Transmission: Auto, Auto, 4sp
I am using a Evolution car cover that I got from Classic Industries. Its made by the same manufactor as the Noah ones you have. I have had my car covered for about 5months now & no mold on the car it self.

The only diff. in the two car covers is Mine has one extra layer of fabric.

I have heard that some of the OLDER car covers & the cheaper ones do not prevent mold on the cars but I have not had any problems with mine.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:22 AM

I've never heard of a car cover causing mildew inside a car..

The only thing I could think of is if moisture was getting into the car somehow (ie a leak in weather stripping, a leak in t-tops etc), inwhich case the cover might contribute to the formation of mildew..

Fact is, no car cover is 100% water proof.. and if a car sits outside in the rain for a day or so, some water will get through and possibly into the cars interior..

Now, you take that into account.. and let the car sit without getting aired out (even faster if the sun beats on it and warms it up) and you'll definitely see mildew growth..

So it really boils down to 3 factors:

-How well-sealed your car is..
-What kind of environment it's going to see..
-How often it will be aired out..

Answering your question.. car covers do not cause mildew..

I've been using a California Car Cover for 2 years, both in dry and wet weather, and have had no problems at all

-LJ
Old 02-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Irocz, 95 Z28, 71 Z28 /RS
Engine: 355 Tpi, LT1, 355
Transmission: Auto, Auto, 4sp
Now for mold being INSIDE the car my car has mold in it (well had some) This year. But about every couple weeks I go out & I clean it out & run my car until the inside is totally dry. Normally its only a tiny bit some on the streering wheel & on the Leather part of the shifter. But thats it. my t-tops leak & need replaced thats coming up in the next couple weeks when income Taxes come in.

But for mold being on the paint of the car its very rare to find unless you have a cheap car cover that does not allow it to breath. (thats what I was talking about in my earlier post)
Old 02-03-2003, 08:18 AM

i was talking about mildew on the inside of the car. My t-tops and trunk leak a very small amount of water when it rains hard or when I wash it, but the car is under a carport so water shouldn't get in it.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 AM

Car: 89 WS6 Formula
Engine: 305 TPI w/ some mods done
Transmission: Modified THM700R4
i would prolly say then that with the moisture from the water...that might cause it.....i dont know though....not a mildew expert.. . But seriously....i wouldnt worry to much about it. If you are concerned....just check on it periodically and see whats happening with it.