Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 z28
Engine: L98
I always like the first and second generation f-bodies. When they got redesigned in 1982 I went and bought me one. I picked out a Firebird, but it wasn't really the one that I wanted. The one that I really wanted was a t-top car with the ws6 suspension package. Mine didn't have either of those options, but it did have the carburated 305. It wasn't near as fast as my Ford truck, but it had the looks. I only had the Firebird for a couple of years and we needed to upgrade to a bigger car. Got a 1983 Grand Prix with the same engine as the Firebird. The minivan and full sized van years came later as a couple of more kids came along. After a decade or so of driving people haulers, I was ready to get something a little more sporty. I was looking at either a Camaro or a Mustang GT. While I was car shopping, I always would remember seeing the way third generation Camaros looked in the rear view mirror when they were coming up along side of me. The front end of those cars always reminded me a little of the front end of a Lamborghini. I test drove about six Camaros and zero Mustang Gts. I finally picked out my 1987 L98 z28.

dave
Old 01-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e
Knight Rider. I was addicted.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: LG4 modified
Transmission: 700R4
I bought one because over here in Blighty, it's a bit of a rare machine.

Also, the insurance is a lot cheaper than for a home-grown car, because it falls into the Classic Car category.

For the money, you just can't get a car that comes close over here, in terms of power, fun, individuality, coolness and just pure exhaust note heaven.

Oh, and it's purple.

Si
Old 01-26-2003, 04:33 PM

Car: 05 GTO, 88 GTA, 98 SS
I liked the body style since I was 2 or 3 years old. I always pointed at them whenever my mom was driving me around in the mini-van.
When I was in 6th grade, my sister's boyfriend had a purple Camaro with a built 350. It sounded SO GOOD and it could do a burnout for like 30 yards. I was hooked.
When I was 15 I found my GTA at a car dealership. Some woman (original owner) traded it in on a C5 Vette. I bought the car a couple days later. I went back to the dealership a few days later to have them fix a steering problem. They told me that lady who traded in the car came back the day before, she wanted it back, she liked it better than her C5 I would have traded her
When I was 16 I found my RS at a swap meet. The car was 95% perfect and it had t-tops. Got it the next week.
Now I'm 19 years old and a poor college student just trying to keep both cars up as good as I can.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Car: Hardtop 84' z/95' Cheyenne
Engine: 305 H.O./4.3L
Transmission: 5-speed manual/Auto
I just always wanted a thirdgen camaro and after looking for a long time my dad took me to look at some birds and he was like its the pontiac camaro for the most part and i was hooked. I still want an 82-84 z28 but i thik that the birds have a mean look to them too. Ive always liked the firebirds and camaros but the third gen was BY FAR my favorite. I liked the first and second gens alot to but nothing beats the mean sleek looks of a thirdgen.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
well, my cavalier had just got totaled by some ****** *** idiot driver that needs to stay off the ****ign road....sorry, anyway my cavalier was just wrecked and i got an insurance check for 5grand. i was drivng around when the spectural hand of *** opened the clouds on a parking lot in which an 89 camaro resided with a forsale sign on it. i was currently driving a 92 ford tempo, and i drove to the Iroc-z and fell in love. it was pure luck too cause i was looking for a phone number and when i found it i realized i didnt have a writing utensil. as i got back in the four cylinder beast from the east a person tapped on my window. turned out it was the owner. he wanted 6 grand for it but i said hell no, i aggreed to 4500 and bought it the next day. it was wonderful.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:17 AM

I blew the engine in my V8 S10 Blazer racing my friends LT1 and I sold the Blazer cheap....school was coming around and I needed a car...I was gonna buy an import....or another S10..but these two adds caught my attention..one that said.....1988 Trans Am GTA , Yellow, with 350 TPI, ADS SuperChip, Ported Plenum, Turbo Muffler,Cold A/C, all power w/ digital dash.....$2300, the other said 87 Formula 350 engine, Flowmasters, T Tops, w/ custom metallic flake paint....I went to look at the GTA and there were three people there who wanted it but didn' have the cash..so I took the car for a drive and fell in love!!! man that thing had some monster torque, the A/C was cold and the digital dash was cool!!! so I went home and came back with my grandpa...when I came back I saw this guy from school who wanted the car and was offering the guy 1500 and the guy was like no way...and the kid from school looked at me and said..you don't want the car right? you have that fast V8 S10...and I said....sorry bro this Bird is mine! I offered the guy 2 grand and looked over at the kid and his dad and saw his face get a discourage look...and the guy selling the car said...deal! and I said...hey bro see you at school....the guy took off all pissed off with his dad in the truck...so I drove my GTA home with pride showing it to all my friends....I then remembered on S10forum.com they had always talked about ThirdGen.org...so I figured I would join and learn about my car....I didn't know that much about the car and when I found out I was astounded....so I am here happy with the car and its potential....I also love the lines..plus when I got to school this fat a$$ with a peanut cammed LB9 was in shock that I had a Tuned Port as well....AARON.....
Old 01-27-2003, 01:49 AM

Car: 88 Formula 350
Fell in love with the trans am, Started with "Chips" and then "Smokey and the bandit" I was only 5 or 6 and knew I would get one and then "Knight Rider" I begged my parents to buy one I was 9-10 no luck. When I turned 16 I saved enough money to get a 79 bandit look alike. At 19 I traded for a 91 v-6. Needed more speed so i got rid of it and got a 88 Formula 350. Got rid of that for new truck, regreted it. Later i came across a 10th anniversay, and then another Formula 350, and 74 455, and 79 Bandit car and i still have these 4 today. My Fav. is the 88 Formula 350
Old 01-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Transmission: Th700r4
you down south people are lucky. cars go through hell here in Michigan.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
While at an auction which took place at a dead friend's house the car was up for sale for 1700 bucks. The daughter and her husband had been living in the house for about 6 months and had to sell the place along with a bunch of machinery. It was her car that she bought new in '82. Well, I wasn't looking to get another car but all that night I couldn't stop thinking about the possible fun that I could have. The next day I called her up and asked if it was still there and it was. Went over, offered 1000 and drove it home. Pulled the engine out 2 weeks later, rebuilt it and got it back on the road 5 months later (was in no rush).

Kind of a disappointment when I started driving it cause it wasn't all that much faster than my 84 Nissan truck lol. Well, slowly but surly, it got better looking and a bit faster It's turned into a pretty fun car and wouldn't mind buying another but I really want to get into the older cars, early 70's into the 60's. I'll be hanging onto this one for a little while though me thinks Definitely dropping in a new 350 this year, the transmission problems last year kept me from putting in a new motor grr.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:33 AM

Car: Firebird SSA
Engine: 3.1
One of my friends talk me into. and never looked back.
BTY: I bought this car new when I was 21
Old 01-27-2003, 03:39 AM

i'm gonna get stoned for this, but i never really liked third gens till i started shopping for my first car
yeah, I know what you mean....before I was looking for a car to buy, I always thought as camaros as cars that are held back by the corvette, and that you'd have to be a moron to buy a camaro over a corvette, I also thought that the thirdgen cars were ugly as sin because of there boxy exterior and all of the cars that you see around here are in awful rusted out condition...so when I was looking for my first car, I wanted something with character but something affordable, I wanted to get a mustang but the ones I liked were too expensive not only in price, but in insurance....so I was looking around for a K5 Blazer/Jimmy or Ford Bronco, when I was riding around in my mom's minivan to look at a potential car, we saw this white camaro on the side of the road with FOR SALE $1000 on the side of the road, and my mom said "what about that car?", so I got out and looked it over; it was a white 84 w/carbed 2.8, non-A/C, 5spd, 15" z28 Wheels, power locks&windows, t-tops and blue interior, 146k mi....the t-tops were what had me really interested, because it was like the best of a hardtop and convertable...something I had never seen before so we left a note with out phone number on the car.....we came back a week later and took it for a test drive, I didn't know how to drive a stick so had to have my dad drive me, but I was fairly impressed by how good the 2.8 sounded and how it took the corners (in comparison to a minivan and suv), so I got it for $850 and spent a couple weeks learning how to drive a stick...I joined TGO and learned alot more, and spent some money on new tires and a cd player and some misc. interior parts...unfortunatly the car could not pass emissions so we took it to a mechanic to get it up to specs after my temporary trip permit expired....long story short is that the mechanic destroyed the engine, and basically screwed me over...If it was today I would've done something about it in court...so after figuring out that it needed an engine swap, and figuring on the costs, I decided it would be cheaper to buy a newer one in better condition, so sadly after 4 monthes of hesitation, I parted it out and used the money from it and the money I saved to buy a new camaro, my parents offered to give me the difference it would cost to buy a newer 4th gen, but they just didn't have the same feel of the 3rdgen, and after having spent some time on TGO, I knew exactly what I wanted: 91-92 camaro w/t-tops and that's what I got...the thirdgen's have really grown on me, I plan to keep mine forever, and maybe buy a couple more in the future
Old 01-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

what got me into them was when i was a little kid my dad had a mint 84 sport coupe with real low miles, 2.8 carbed v6 with a 5 speed. i can still remember riding in that car. well sadly his g/f at the time driving drunk hit a guard rail with it (my dad could have killed her for it) it was fixable so he bought ti back off the insurance company. it sat wrecked out behind our garage for about 4 years. i kid come in one day and offered $975 for it. my dad let it go. a few years later my dad had a new g/f and when she moved in i can clearily remember she had a 86 sport coupe low miles with a 2.8mpfi and an auto. that was a great car. i still didnt know much about thirdgens but i knew i liked them. she bought it brand new off the dealership lot in 1986. she sold it a few years later also. now a kid has in in my high school and i still see the car every day.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:12 PM

Car: '91 RS
Engine: LO3, For now...
I had a '79 6.6 liter T/A, loved that car (why did I let it go?! ). After that, I had several other vehicles, including a POS '81 Camaro SC. I was driving an '86 Buick Regal with a mild SBC (more of a "responsible" car - I'm 38) a couple of years ago when the F-body bug bit again. I was looking for a 4th gen Z28 or T/A, but didn't want to spend that much money on myself. Thirdgens had grown on me over the years and i decided to find one. After checking out several thrashed and neglected IROCs and a GTA, I found a very clean RS. It was in my price range, it's been good to me so far, and with some mods will be just what I wanted. I have no regrets.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:47 PM

Car: 98 Z28 vert
Transmission: automagic
Axle/Gears: 2.73 - boo racing yay MPG
well I'm a big guy and I don't fit comfortably in most cars...

When I graduated HS I got some money to buy a car ($750 to be exact) and started looking. I saw this ragged out 83 base model Bird. It was fugly but it ran good and was heaven to ride in - My knees didn't even tough the steering wheel !!! well that car was a beater and slow as hell so I upgraded to an 82 T/A *** I love that car - Crossfire 305 every option.... It was a dream untill that idiot rear ended me. Mashed the quarters all the way into the rear tires. : ( well insurance gave me $2700 for that car (I paid $800). I looked everywhere for a V8 firebird in my price range and every time I found one it had the same sign on it SOLD. eventually I found an 87 formula with 50,000 on a rebuilt LG4 and a 5 spd. I was the first to look at it and handed the guy $2000 cash then next day : )

Now I am on my way to building a 10 second TT 88 bird for a buddie of mine - we are goin to look at blocks tonite.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:54 PM

Location: memphis, home of the swampy rivers and big mosquitoes
Here's the cliff notes version:
1) had a 1989 t/a triple black in 89.
2) couldn't afford the insurance. (wouldn't let me put in moms name) she took it back two days after getting it.
3) bought an '82 firebird
4) switched and added 350 4blt main
5) added ground effects and bumpers
6) sold it
7) bought 94 formula
8) totalled 94 formula
9) bought 95 firebird (exactly like formula)
10) traded for 95 vert
11) traded vert for expedition
12) bought totalled 97 t/a and built it
13) dash fire totalled it for good
14) found a 91 camaro vert thru insurance cmpny for $2000
15) bought iroc hood for $100
16) built car and put it in the garage.
17) has no dents or dings. (haven't driven it since i got it out of the paint booth)
18) fast car, no top, no note, grundy insurance

any questions????????
Old 01-29-2003, 03:08 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Hey guys, im not new to the boards i used to be 89formula305.

When I got my first f-body i was actually not even 15 yet. my dad payed for half so i had to come up with 450.00 it was a friend of his from work. It was a 89 Formula, 305 5-speed. I wanted something that I could fix up for when i turned 16. THe car didnt look bad at first but after tearing into it, I found it was pretty rotted out, I held on to the car till i was 16, i never finished the car due to to much rot.. But the car really grew on me. my buddy had a 86 sc with a 355 in it, and he let his girlfreind drive it and she wrecked!!!

This motor only had maybe 12,000 miles on it, and he had about 1,200 into it, so i traded him straight up for my 89.

a couple months later his mom was going to send a 91 saturn to the junk yard.. it has 196000 on it and burned a little oil, all it needed was an alternator and a battery!!! it even looked really good still. so she gave me the car i fixed it and drove it for about 3 months, then on christmas eve 2002 i found a 88 firebird with a 2.8 in it on the side of the road. I checked into the car. the 2.8 was just rebuilt but it was done wrong and smoked and knocked..

The car came from kentucky and had only been in michigan for a year and a half. It had minor damage to the passenger fender and door. well he traded me strraight up for the saturn, which was complete profit for me since i only had like 100 in the saturn.

I got the car home and pulled the motor and tranny, cleaned up the engine bay and painted it and i got a 350 turbo tranny and the mount kit to make it work and thats all in, now i just need to figure out the wiring need accesories, driveshaft, and a few other things, and thats where i sit today....I really love the looks of the camaro but i think i would rather have the firebird for what im going to have into it

Heres the 89
Attached Thumbnails So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.-before-driver-side.jpg  
Old 01-29-2003, 03:20 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Here are some pics of the 88 i have now. I have a new front bumper already that one has a hole in it. I dont have any really good pics yet, but heres these for now..
Attached Thumbnails So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.-new-firebird.jpg  
Old 01-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI
Transmission: 700r4
my dad was always into muscle never had a 3d gen but was always looking at them so when i started looking i actually thought it would be cheap to insure. I want to kick my *** for ever saying that but for a 17 year old kid with a sweet, and fast bird 300$ a month isnt to far fetched i guess. i love it though so it is worth it
Old 01-31-2003, 12:59 PM

Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700R-4
Forgive me, but the first car I actually wanted was a 5.0 Mustang. After not finding one in my price range, I went and looked at a 5.0 Thunderbird, but that turned out to be really ****ty.

In a stroke of luck, I was driving home all dejected and saw my current Trans Am on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign. I thought, "Gotta be out of my price range, looks too nice". But I decided to stop anyway, and turns out, the guy only wanted $2000 for it (had a blown tranny). I called him that night and picked it up the next day.

Steve
Old 01-31-2003, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
I got mine when I did not know much about cars. Now that I know quite about about cars, I would most likely not have bought a thirdgen at the time if I knew then what I know now.

I bought my thirdgen for 4 reasons,

It was cheap
Had plenty of room for hauling stuff
I liked the design
It was available

It's funny how I get compliements on my car even though it is one of the most lack luster models and has body and interior work that needs to be done.

If I wasn't so impatient on finding some wheels to drive to school in, I would be driving an 88 BMW 635CSI. I got tired of trying to find one in my area so I just got a thirdgen.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:39 AM

Car: 1982 T/A -1986 Z28
Engine: 383 -305
Transmission: T56-700r
a beamer man!?? good ***..glad yua got the 3rd gen instead.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:57 AM

Car: 98 Z28 vert
Transmission: automagic
Axle/Gears: 2.73 - boo racing yay MPG
yeah devianb got a third gen for all the wrong reasons... I love 'em cause they and a modern car that looks good it cheap and is compatable with old skool muscle.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:23 PM

Car: 86 firebird
Engine: v6
Transmission: 7004r
my decison

I rode in a co-workers black 82-86 firebird. Hooked then. Got engaged to a guy, maybe it was his 77 firebird that attracted me to him ; we got the 86 firebird and broke up. I keep the car. Haven't regreted the choice. I rather have the car then they guy.
He kills firebirds. been through 6 firebirds in 3 years.
Had to put new transmission, muffler and radiator.

I love her. she's my child.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:40 PM

im gonna have to say mainly genetic. my moms first car was a 67 ss camaro that was black with white racing stripes. 350/4 speed, crager ss and turquiose interior. one bad car! then i grew up in 93 camaro rs with t tops. then sold that when i was about 98. then my older brothers first car was a 91 rs camaro that was maroon and i loved that car, i almost died when he got rid of it. so can u guess what my first car is? thats right a 91 rs camaro maroon with a 3.1 and 700r4(same as my brothers) the only differneces is that my brothers car had an aftermarket sun roof and aftermarket (eagles i think) alumuinum wheels. im 15 right now and have to wait another 2.5 months till i can drive it.

kolby
Old 02-09-2003, 08:17 PM

Car: 1987 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
im 16 and ever since iw as little the camaro has always been my dream car, and one day i was lookin on a site that has adds (iland.net) i saw a 1987 camaro and it blew me away with the options and the 305 tpi which to most seems like little power but this baby will beat a 94 stock lt1 by 2 car lengths, i have got a 1/4 mile time, but i have beat a 13 second car before, it's all equipped with a hypertech chip, coil, h/p everything, i was impressed when i saw it, and the guy was wanting 4,200 at the time, and i talked him down to 3,000, i thought it was one hell of a deal, and still, no problems with my car except i had to buy a new transmission, which wasnt no big deal for me, but for the money, i got one mean machine,
Old 02-09-2003, 09:05 PM

My mom's old boyfriend, back when I started high school, had an 86 Camaro that was in mint condition. V-8, t-tops, deep silver/grey paint...it was, and still is, sweet! (he still has it, and he knows to call my mom first if he ever sells it, even though they broke up a long time ago). I was hookek then, and more so when I drove my stepmom's 1991 Camaro. Hunter Green with a V-6 auto, but it was still a fun ride. Then, last november, about 8 years after my last ride in a camaro, my father in law buys a raggedy lookin' 84 sport coupe. A month later, he calls and asks my wife if we want it. (I had joked with him that he had rememberd my birthday the first time he drove up in it ) She messages me and relates the question. I reply "You know it only seats four?" (two kids with one on the way) her: "Yes, do you want it?" me: "You understand that I want to spend some time/money fixing it up?" her: "Yes, do you want it?" me: "how much?" her: :Just what he paid, $1200, and he has some headers to put on it" me: YES!!!!

Then, a month after I took possetion, he gives us a christmas card with the title enclosed...free car for christmas! A year later, two new batterys, a starter, and a waterpump, and it is still running strong. I can't wait for the day when I have the spare time ad money to fix her up! BTW, I am 26.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:14 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: Superramed 355 w/ intercooled T72
Transmission: T56 -=- www.iroc-ss.com
I jsut fell in love with my brothers 86 IROC when he bought it. The car is now mine but modded way beyond what is was.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:19 PM

Well I've grown up around american muscle. My dad is a huge car guy. He's owned some vettes, trans ams, and some chevelles. I used to look through his car magazines. I've liked 3rd gens as long as I can remember. I always joked that when I turned 16 I would buy one. Who know that, that was true.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:04 PM

Car: '90 Camaro RS T-Top
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: TH700R4
I've always loved american cars, had a '71 dart, a '65 mustang and a '78 Z28. I decided I wanted another american car, that I could prep up into a nice dailydriver/ocassional weekend racer. I was looking for a 2nd gen.. but here they are pretty scarce, the ones still going look like crap.
I started looking for a 3rd. gen, because of the handling, and decent looks. Also, because they are lighter than the second gens.
I found a white '90 RS on the classifieds. The owner was a kid who had gotten it as a trade for another car, but he didn't know or care about american cars. It's not easy to find buyers for such cars here (mostly jap cars), so I knew if i negotiated right, it would come to me...
I was right, and I got the price reduced by $1100.... besides, my newlywed wife said "I like the white car we saw, buy it"
Of course, now she doesn't love it very much, says I spend more time with the car in the garage than with her!!
I'm 34, and so far I love my 3rd. gen.

Thunderboy
Old 02-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Axle/Gears: 323's
My first Camaro was an '85 Z28, had it for almost 7 years, someone decided to trash it for me to the point of me getting rid of it. Drove around in several different cars after that... Then I met my (ex) fiance, who had a '91 Z28 and I was like "damn - I gotta get me another one of these"... Couldn't seem to find one until one day I was going to get some parts for the boat, just happened to look over and there she was - a beautiful black '91 Z28 with a 350... went about my business and stopped on the way back from the ol' boathouse and took the car for a ride. I told the guy to get it ready for me and I went home and cleaned out the truck and get the other keys and went back to get the Z... Notice I said "ex" fiance earlier... got rid of her and kept the car anyways, that was almost 10 years ago, still have the car and one more now, too... wanted an IROC and snatched me up one in NY, so now I'm the proud parent of 2... My black one needs a serious paint job, I'm ashamed to say, but the IROC still looks great and stays in the garage 99% of the time (it's a '90 with just a hair over 40k miles on it) and for the age record, I'm almost 40...

KAM
Old 02-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
Knight Rider was a major influence. I wanted one when I was a kid. I totally forgot about the Firebirds until the fall of 99 when my friends mom had a mechanic come and look at her car.
The mechanic arrived with his girlfriend in his girlfriends Black 89 Formula. After I saw that Formula I started looking for a Trans Am with a V8 and a 5 speed.
I found this 86 Trans Am for $1500 and and got it for $1300.
Had 113K miles on it, perfect interior. Just needed a tune up and some other minor engine & suspension work that totalled $1700.

this is what it looked like after I got done painting the GFX, hood, spoiler and headlight buckets,

I finally got a nice spoiler and some decent wheels for it in mid 2000,

Now it is sitting awaiting a motor and tranny, LT1 & T56.

This car has had 3 different hoods, 4 spoilers, 7 sets of wheels, 4 sets of seats, 3 different rear ends, 4 different air/fuel delivery systems (Quadrajet, Edelbrock Carb, TPI, and now LT1), 3 steering wheels, 3 hatches, and 3 stereos.
That's all I can think of at the moment.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:55 PM

Why the f*** did I buy this crap?....

JK, I had a 93mustang and a best friend who had a 67camaro and was obssesed with camaros( all years). I tell you he put more effort in getting me to buy a camaro than he ever did in anything else in his life. Well long story short the bastard convinced me 1.5 years later been hooked ever since.

I notice allot of fathers influenced them into getting a camaro but what about our kids, maybe they will bring it back the camaro in 16-20 years.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
im 16 now, started looking for a car about a year ago. first thing i looked at were 93< 2 door cutlass supreme since i really wasnt into cars then. then i stumbled upon thirdgens, performance i at decent price. i started looking at the beginning of summer, and doing whatever i could to make some money. my dad didnt dissaprove since hes always been a gear head, so i started looking. most cars looked good in their pictures online, went to look at them, and was greatly dissapointed. i went upto 2 hours from home to look at cars to no avail. i had earned about 6-700 over summer(dont remember), and had another 400 in bank to use for a car, because it looked like i wasnt going to get a job. i turned 16, and i got a job at the second place i applied, starting $6.15/hr, usually about 20 hours a week. my mom complained that i didnt need to spend that money, so i put all but 400 in the bank. my dad said when we find a good car, we can buy it since youve got a job, and youll be paying for it by yourself, so are you sure you still want a $4k car? i said yes, kept looking. went to a car show, and there was the '91 T/A. we got ahold of the guy and took it for a ride. gave the guy $100 cash to hold the car for us, drove 1.5 hours home, got a cashiers check, drove 1.5 hours back, drove it home. so i ended up getting a loan from my parents, just like from a bank, cant be late on payments and have to pay interest. ive had the car for 5 months and already have gone through so much $h!t its not even funny, but in the end, everything has worked out for the better. its going to probably stay stock for a while because after insurance, car payment, and gas, my $6.15/hr doesnt amount to much, took me like 2 monthes to save 213.99 for my stereo. man, i need more money, who wants to donate?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Volvo V50 R Design
Engine: 2.0 turbo diesel
Transmission: 6 speed auto
Axle/Gears: yes, both
had a toy IROC when i was about 10 or 11, dont ask how it found its way to the UK, it just did...

however, the lights on this IROC actualy worked, and i remember thinking, cor, i wish this was a real car (didn't know at that age that camaro's even existed). when i found out that it was a real car, i knew i just had to have one.

Knightrider was also a big influence....

Buying a thirdgen was literaly a childhood dream come true for me!
Old 02-21-2003, 11:02 PM

Boy do I feel old. I was introduced to thirdgens by the mechanic I was assisting in high school and of course night rider. I had an 87' formula in high school and did plenty of work to It . Parents forced me to get rid of it mid college and grow up. I coulden't ditch the addiction to the pleasure of driving the car . I picked up this mint 91 350 formula with 29K miles and alot of mods a few months ago, but haven't even registered it yet. It took me over a year and a half to find this car. I'm 29 now and still haven't outgrown the addiction. Just nice to know I will be able to enjoy the car at some point.
Advice for yor younger guys. Don't drop all your dough in the car or any car always put some aside for a rainy day and invest. There is always a better deal down the road. When you do see a great deal you'l have the cash to take advantage of it.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:20 PM

Car: 1992 Z28 and 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: both L98s one with SD and one with MAF
Transmission: both 700R4s
Well let's see here, I first got into cars when I was like six, my father was always taking me to the local short track races, anyway one night I was watching the races and playing with my little model stock car and it was like a light bulb turned on over my head. Been hooked on cars ever since. When I turned 15 my Dad said he'd get my a car so we can work on it so when I was sixteen I could drive it. Well through no fault of his own that didnt happen. When I was sixteen my dad said he'd buy me a car, and it could be whatever I wanted, your not misreading he actually said that, at first I wanted a V8 S10, had crazy Ideas for that, Then my brother went to buy a car and he initially wanted a Jeep wrangler, but he saw a 4th gen and he was hooked, well after he got it he let me drive it and I was hooked, took me all of two weeks to decide year and model(I wanted a 91-91 Z28, though I would've been happy with RS) so after looking we found two possibilties, a 91 RS with a 305 and 5spd and a 92 Z28 after much thought(read: 2 nights) I decided and we went and picked it up a couple days later. still have it and it is in great shape, which is more than I can say for my brothers car. After that I decided I needed a project car, I wanted a stick shift badly, I found an 82 Z28 with a 4 spd manual, shouldnt have bought it retrospect, traded it to my father to have a new trans put in the 92. After a couple of years I found out about Initial D and AE86 corollas I liked it because it was RWD and Stick shift so I bought it so I would have a car that didnt drink as much gas as the 92. after a couple of months driving it I decided I needed more power and looked to a third gen donor(totaled 91 firebird, that car went through hell before I got it), now I have a 91 v6 5spd (3.1) going in it. I cant wait, its going to be wicked fast! and im 20 years old

Last edited by TravisZ28MAXX; 07-31-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:25 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: LB8 (2.8L V6)
Transmission: MD8 (Auto)
Simple: They're the HOTTEST cars ever made. Especially when they're in that lovely shade of blue...

I fell in love with the way they look - the body, the interior, the cool bird graphics on them, the t-tops, &c.

All that and they're speedy, too.

Oh, and I'm 24.

Last edited by kerryismygirl89; 07-30-2003 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:31 PM

ever since i was five i've always wanted a firebird....lol i have the proof. I although i don't remember watching knight rider my mom said i loved that show
Old 07-30-2003, 11:03 PM

Kinght Rider was the biggie, such a awesome show. My dad had a old knight rider shirt and I always looked at it and was like thats my dream car. Than I got a new job and my buddy John took me in a ride of his 88 Z28. And I fell in love with everythign bought thirdgens. SO my quest for a thirdgen at 17 began, because they were pretty cheap, like $1500-4000 4 yrs ago and looked great and were fast. So I found a 84 TA on yahoo classifieds, but when I went to meet the guy to buy the car, the guy never showed. I called up and he told me the car exploded and burnt to a crisp. I was so dissappointed. So on the way home I spotted a 89 Firebird, artic white barried under a bunch of snow, by the road. We came back a few days later to talk to the guy and he wasn't planning on selling the car but would if the money was right. He wanted 3K but we got him down to 2.7K. I love that car so much, all the ladies loved it in HS everybody still does. But the car had a V6 so wasn't as quick as I wanted, so I was on another quest for another bird after I paid off my first one. Found a 86 TA in the paper, went and test drover it road nice but body would need alot of work. THe guy only wanted 650bucks, I told him give me 2 days and he would have the money, and he's like fine. So I come back and the car is gone, he sold it off like an hour before I got there. I was so pissed and was bout to punch the guy. So I was dissappointed again like begfor. I than was talking to my buddy john from before and he was selling his 89 Formula, I offered him 2500 and it was mine. I love thirdgens so much.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:13 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: Auto 4
I've just always liked the look of the late 3rd gen camaro. I like what I have, just not the colour. Something to do later.

I probably paid more than I should've... noticing more and more leaks recently, but I've been a little hard on it

Body is still in good shape.... like to keep it that way...
Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM

Car: 1989 RS Camaro
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Well as i was growing up my mom had a 68 RS camaro and i fell in love with camaros in general. I was originally looking for a chevelle, but it was too hard to find a decent one for a good price. Then i saw a couple awesome third gens for like 7000 Gs. But my dad wouldnt pay that much. I fell in love with the body design of the late 80s camaros, much better than 70s, so i got one. We saw a bunch of them around and some were ok, but none were in good condition, if they were they cost too much. Then i found mine, i got it from the original owner. It had 87000 miles on it when i got it and was nearly perfect. Other than the hard water on windows from wells. The paint was perfect and so was the interior, plus it driven by a woman so it wasnt abused. I paid $3000 for it. here is a pic now
Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 PM

Car: 89 Firebird
Transmission: T5
back in 92' i was 8 years old, on the way to my grandmothers house i saw a stock looking black camaro with the gold ground fx, and thought to myself "Thats the coolest car I've ever seen!"
and now i have one just like it, 84' Camaro Black w/ gold ground fx being revived after previous owner trashed it
Old 08-03-2003, 12:32 AM

My love for FBodies started when I was very young. My dad had a 1972 T/A. He sold it and then when I started HS he bought a 1975 Formula 350. I always wanted an FBody. In High School I bought a 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe. I saw a Predator Ground Effects Kit for it in a magazine and I knew I had to have it! The car was going to be jet black and have a huge scoop on the hood! I had just about enough money saved up to buy the kit and my brother asked me to borrow my car for a hot date he was going on. I was roused out of bed at 3 in the morning and he told me the worst news I had ever received! He had totalled my car!

About 5 years later in 1997 I was really missing having a Camaro. When a buddy of mine who worked for a Ford dealership said that he had just received a 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe in as a trade, I knew I had to have it!
It had rusted out doors, a huge dent in the passenger side fender, and almost no paint left on it...I gave the dealership $300 and drove it home...

12 years after I had envisioned my Predator Camaro, I finally have it!

Last edited by Cuno; 08-03-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Supreme Member

I drove past a dealership at night and saw (my) 92 Camaro RS sitting outside, and that was the first time, i drove past a car (i could afford) and said, *** damn that is a good looking car.....

That was 4 years ago....

They are an amazing platform to bulid a nice custom car......
Old 08-03-2003, 03:09 AM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: L98
Hi Mark,

I too was a major fan of Knight Rider when it first came on. I don't think it was so much the car that got me hooked on the show, rather, it was more of a fascination on my part of seeing a car outfitted with such awesome, futuristic technology ("KITT"). Of course, I was 4-5 years old back when the show premiered (I think), so anything with lots of gauges, buttons, lights, and the ability to go fast and smash through walls, while being able to drive it everywhere was the est thing ever.

Although I liked the Turbo Boost and Super Pursuit Mode quite a bit; I was such a sucker for that.

Eventually as time went by, I forgot about Knight Rider and the F-Body in general, and when it was time for me to have my own car to drive after taking the poor man's limosuine (read: the bus) everywhere, I figured I would just drive the 94 Grand Am we purchased in 1997 in 1999, but my dad gave me the keys to the GTA I drive now. When I first drove the car, it literally scared me and took me a while to get used to the car's power, since I had been driving cars with less than 100 HP for years. I guess you could say that was quite a quantum leap in terms of power.

I've also desired participating in races and vehicle competitions for as long as I can remember; I can't stand being an spectator, I just feel like I have to be in it. The car I have right now gives me that feeling whenever I drive; I don't have to mod the living daylights out of the car to get that feeling. Plus with the car's setup (L98 + WS6), I feel like I can practice what it's like to really drive.

And to conclude, I just can't seem to centralize on one single point...I guess that's what happens when I start talking about the car. I get so excited I start having trouble keeping my thoughts racked!

All I know is that I wouldn't trade this car in for any new car today...unless I could get the engine and transmission in these new cars put into my car.

Jason
Old 08-03-2003, 01:32 PM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Transmission: th700R4
My friend had his car for about a year then blew the head gaskets and sold it for 500!! TO ME!! I changed the gasjets myself and have been hooked ever since.. 3 fuel pumps later new heter core and some cool mods and she runs lie new with 123000 miles on her
Old 08-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Car: 1985 Camaro Z 28
Engine: 305 LG4
when i was younger my sister's boyfriend was all into cars and he showed me pics of some Irocs, back then i called them Skyrocks lol, anyhow i always liked them, and when i was in a car accident a few years ago in my 90 sunbird, the car was totalled and was written off, so my buddy told me about a 85 Z28 for sale. I was in need of a new ride so i checked it out and bought it for $1500.

I had the car on the road for 10 days and it didnt pass the safety. So to this day its still not on the road and ive been working on it since 2001. New floors, doors, exhaust, rebar, coils, and a lot more stuff that it needed. I am going to get it on the road next month and finally enjoy my baby lol.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back when I was in highschool, my junior year I had to park my 84 olds, lol, a while from the school because of lack of parking space at my school. Every morning while I was walking to school I would take a shortcut through an apartment complex and I would see this 91-92 teal RS camaro. I absolutely loved the way it looked and one morning when I was walking through the complex the owner of the car started it up and started to drive away. He had a flowmaster exhaust and ohhhhhhhhh *** did I love the sound of that car. That pretty much settled it on which car I wanted next and as soon as my dad's friend from work decided to sell his 92 RS I jumped all over it and have it to this day. Ever since I have been obsessed with f bodys and plan to own one till the day I die.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
well my first car was an escort, I bought it when I turned 16, one day driving to school some lady pulled out infront of me, the car went every where but straight, but I managed to drive around her but almost spun the car out in the process, I was set then I needed a real car. I Had always wanted a smokey and the bandett car, but couldn't find one. I had several car lots on the look out, etc etc. I go and test drive a turbo v6 car, loved it, took it down a mountain road running 70 with speed markings around 25, my mom was with me, I look over and she is white nulkeling the handle (she use to race growing up) But the lot wanted like 7k for the car and it wasn't worth it. My uncle calls me up and says he just saw one setting in the back lot of a car lot. I head over there, they tell the title hasn't cleared yet, but it shouldn't be a problem since it was a one owner car. I take it for a drive, love the car, take it to a parking lot crawl under inspect everything. The car was completly orginal, except the spar tire was missing and the wheels. I go back and they tell me they want 4k for it when the title clears. I talk him down to 1700 and my escort (I payed 600 for the escort, after some cleaning and minor engine work the escort was in perfect condition). came back and bought it the next day, never looked back since then, the only thing I miss about the escort was the straight shift.

The lot didn't even have time to clean the car, or put their little sticker on it. The escort was sold a day later for 1500, but oh well it was begining to smoke the last time I saw it.

Oh yea bought it at 17, im 23 now and am just now having to do some work on it. I will keep it once I get out of college, but it will no longer be my daily. Yea yea I know I am taking a long tour in college, couldn't find a major I liked.

Last edited by Aviator857; 08-03-2003 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.