Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 iroc project car
Engine: has a 350 from a 76 chevy truck
Transmission: has a th350 but needs a 700r4
Axle/Gears: week 2.73 in stock housing
Re: So like im curious what made you guys decide to buy a 3rd gen.

well i'll throw my story in there, found pics of my dads 68 camaro he had when he was about 21 and i fell in love, i was about 8 or 9. knowing that i obviously wasnt gonna get a 68 anytime soon i searched for the next best thing the same year of car when i was born so i was bound and determined to get an 87 iroc, so when i was 16 i finaly got my first f-body it wasnt exactly what i was lookin for but for the money it was the closest thing i could get, an 86 trans am w/ 17" tourqe thrust IIs, and a 305 tuned port, love it and probly less then a year later at a goodguys car show we found another 86 trans am but in 10xs better shape w/ t-tops so i got it, that was after i turned 17, a few months later sold the first one, after swaping rims to the new one, and paid off my parents for the sec one. drove it for a while and loved it even more, then decided it needed a truck and did the stupidest thing i've ever done to date. i traded the car for the truck w/ some money. everybody including my self kicked me for doin that. a year later or so i was finaly up to my camaro but it was 88 w/ a v6 and that just wasnt enough so i was on my quest to do the v8 swap and that didnt go so well. i had some money in it, probly to much for what i sold if for but my dad was tired of seein it sit so i sold it to a guy i worked w/ at the time and he made it a drag car and still has it to this day and still races it, but a couple weeks ago i finaly got as close as i think i'm gonna get and got an 86 iroc w/ t-tops and a 350 thats obviously not stock. i'm lovin it so far and thats my story.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 66 Mustang, 78 t/a
Engine: 5.0 TBI, 289, 400
Transmission: 700R4, C4, th350

I was actually looking for a firebird (2nd or 3rd gen), but then we noticed this Camaro was just sitting only a street over and picked it up 1 day.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Coupe
Engine: 5.0-liter (305) TBI V8
Transmission: 700R4-speed automatic overdrive
Axle/Gears: stock/2.73

Sigh! What was it that set my heart on fire for these cars? Some days, I don't exactly remember...
Was it the sleek look? The big smile that every Camaro has, but especially the third gens? The growl of the V8 motor through the Flowmasters? The way they squat down in a curve and hug the road like glue? The fact that I can own one and keep it sweet without being rich? The feel of how they move when I'm cruising with the Ts out? Hmm, it's all of the above and more.
I can tell you this with certainty. I have owned Cam(2) for almost 15 years, and I still get a giddy thrill when I see her across a parking lot. I cruise with the tops out on sunny days and think, "I have a Camaro! Woohoo!"
I can see my car at the end of a bad day, and the day is instantly turned around.
I've owned a lot of cars in my life, but I've never felt about any other like my two third gens. (Cam 1, R.I.P.)
In fact, if I ever find a guy who makes me feel like my Camaro, I'm going to keep him, too.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:07 PM

That's awesome that there are girls into thirdgens. Where are they hiding...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS Coupe
Engine: 5.0-liter (305) TBI V8
Transmission: 700R4-speed automatic overdrive
Axle/Gears: stock/2.73

Never been hiding! But I don't meet many women with them. I guess guys don't either. My most unfavorite comment I've had recently was a guy who said, "Sweet car. Is it your boyfriend's?"
Um, no. Fail!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 PM

haha I saw ONE girl drive one.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock for now

Well, for me I fell in love with these cars growing up. Then when I was 20 I brought a 1988 TPI Trans am and I was hooked. Can't beat the feeling of flying down the highway on a nice day with the t-tops off. Those tops were only on the car if it was raining, cold, or I was sleeping. Then two months later my brother bought a 1991 camaro RS 5 speed. We both would roll together everywhere. Then the bad part I was young and stupid I sold my trans am and have regreted ever since. Then my brother smashed up the front end on his and blew up the motor on his camaro. THe car sat for 6 years after that. I was pissed when he sold it two a friend after I beged him to sell it to me. Then a year after that, I ran across that friend and he was in a bind and he sold me the car for $300. So I have been building the car for 2.5 years making it into the machine it deserves to be. I can tell you one thing i'm not selling this one. Not only is it a cool car but its a car with alot of memories.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC w/Danko bodykit, 1988 iroc vert, 1989 k1500 pickup 6" lift and 35" tires, 2002 chevy tahoe z71
Engine: 383 stealth ram, 305 tpi, 350 tbi, 5.3l
Transmission: T56, 700r4, 700r4, 4l460

I remember the day like it was yesterday. My father and i were at the chevy dealer. It was back in 88 and my father wanted to trade his 86 S-10 blazer for the 88 S-10 with the 4.3 and thats where i saw it sitting on the showroom floor. It was a 87 marron vert. Lets just say that my father had to pry me out of that car. Now my wife has to
Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 PM

Car: 1983 z-28/SFC/bilsteins/adj.arms
Engine: 355sbc/Demon650dp/hedmanheaders/
Transmission: t-5, alum DS
Axle/Gears: 3.42 torsen posi, baer discs

>I just love the lines of the camaros...I think it's the most italian looking american car ever!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my GTA when I was 20, now im 23 and I still have it. I already had a 1985 Trans Am but it was a LG4 that was VERY tired. When I was deciding on buying my GTA I took a bunch of my buddies down to the lot it was at and when we pulled up and could see it they all said "wow" thats when I knew I wanted it. My GTA was the fastest car I had ever owned and it still is. I got my first three digit ticket in that car. I survived my first impossible accident in that car. And I drove away from my wedding in that car. I will never sell it.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 350 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Left to go work in Alaska for about a year n half. when I got back home to Cali parked in my parents driveway was a Black 1988 IROC......turns out my pops bought it for me as a welcome home present. that was 5 years ago....It was love at first sight!!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

i friend of mine had one at work and peer pressure kicked in and I bought one LOL Thats the truth too LOL
Old 08-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Car: 1992 Z03 RS
Engine: (L03) 305TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: bone stock

Originally Posted by 92 Camaro
haha I saw ONE girl drive one.
HAha. Girls make us do stupid stuff. Like we gotta one up them with testosterone.

But yeah, they are affordable style and convenience, and a growing classic that smart people should start investing in NOW.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:22 AM

Car: 91 RS Vert, 87 SC T-Top
Engine: LO3, LG4
Transmission: 700r4's
Axle/Gears: 2.73, not sure yet

My grandma owned my car since day one so I kinda grew up in it, after my grandpa past away in 2001 (RIP OPA) the car sat untouched for 4 years, then my mother blew the engine in her 88 300 ZX and needed a car, I was there that night when we charged up the battery that was in the camaro after sitting for 4 years, she roared to life. Then I got to looking at it and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my life, I always looked around for another one and never really seeing one made it even more special. a year after my mom got the camaro she bought an SUV, I just turned 16 and started driving school so I had 6 months to go but the car was now parked in my driveway and I had access to the keys, occasionally when my wasnt home id take her for a spin around the block. then 6 months rolled around and i got my licence, I almost lost her. my grandma said that she was a piece of crap and that I needed to get rid of her and she said she get my something cheap and relible...I said no! (Grandma is very stuborn) well it came down to me starting to cry because she was gonna make me get rid of her. but i finally talked her out of it and i got the " im warning you now, dont come to me when it breaks down" I never have, i could have gotten a nice SUV but no i kept my old missing paint slow beautiful camaro. I will never regret fighting with her that day. Not only that i loved the car some much, my grandpa did to, he enjoyed putting the top down and going for a cruise, i always went with him. 11,000 and a year and a half later, I still got her. will never ever part with her. I would rather be homeless. Call me crazy. I Dont Care!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Car: '87 IROC, '92 & 99 Corvette Vert.
Engine: L98, LT1, LS1
Transmission: L98 = 700R4
Axle/Gears: L98 = 3.23 G92

Back in the early 80's when the third gen's first came out, I was a car audio installer. The first time I saw the Z28 / IROC I knew one day I would have one. Installing radio's, amps and speakers into them was killing me, but at least I was around them and I could admire them.

Later in life I bought a 1992 Corvette (LT1 engine) and then a 1999 Corvette (LS1 engine), but I still couldn't get that Camaro out of my system, so I bought a 1987 IROC/Z28 (305 TPI - all original) and love it. Now I can enjoy all three whenever I want. I love working on all of them.

CG
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.08

well i had always been a muscle car guy. it started with chevelles and 69 camaros, but price kept them out of my dreams. some years back when i drove a buddy's 91 RS it had me hooked, i knew i wanted a 3rd or 4th gen camaro.

however in my eyes the 4th gens had two big negitives, 1. it looked like a pain to work on 2. the price for a decent one was too much for me. so third gen it was.

some time in my life i want to own every gen of camaro (at the same time). my next camaro will be a 5th gen.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Lots of 'em

I figure I'll add my story too. Back in 1985 there was an episode of Macgyver called "The Prodigal". Well anyway, Macgyver is forced to steal a car to follow a kidnapping, well guess what it is! An Iroc. I've wanted one ever since, but I had actually only seen one a few times in person, they aren't all that common around here.

Then one day, coming back from the beach in 2008, cruising along Route 1, this blue car catches my eye, for sale from I believe the original owner, an old timer, I think in his 70's. History from there!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 PM

Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

I could have swore I replied in this thread already. Although maybe it was another one cause I can't seem to find my post. Well if I did heres my story again haha.

It was about 4/5years back when I was a freshman in highschool. I had just moved to the South Carolina region and that means a new school, and for me, a new JROTC unit. Well I became good friends with one of the instructors there shortly after I moved and I started working Logistics(am now Commander of Logistics). It turns out he has a 1969 Z28 "Plain Jane" Camaro, at the time I was like "yeah..cool...nice car"(now he has is and a 1991 GMC Cyclone....). But he drove it to school one day and showed it to me. I fell in love. The sound of the engine, the raw horsepower...omg!. Well..I wanted one ever since then.

Fast Forward to my JR Year. I went car hunting...sadly realizing I wouldnt have the 125k to buy a car like his I knew I had to settle. I just didnt know on what Id have to settle for. I went looking around and I discovered the thirdgen Camaro. And I fell in love again .

I found my first Camaro shortly after I went looking. It was a 1988 Iroc-Z(atleast..he said it was an IROC...I was convinced it was a SC with an IROC hood though) with a 305 and 114k miles on it. I got it for 1150.

Name:  l_99beb16182fa963e38db62cc7d793361.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  54.9 KB

It was a good car really. Just didnt look to good on the inside and it was my first car so I abused the hell out of it. After a while the no door handle thing got really lame. The button on my keychain stopped working everytime. But I was at a redlight one day(about a year after I bought it), when it turned green went to go accelerate, it wouldnt go past 35mph at 5000RPM.

Thankfully I wasnt to far from home and it made it without completely killing the engine. But the Transmission was gone and I immediately went on my quest for another car.

I didn't expect to get another Camaro, my dad wanted me to get a Truck but I really really wanted a Camaro, but I wasn't going to settle for a shitty one like I did for my first car.

So I was avidly searching for a week. I stumbled across one that he wanted 4k for, but it was right up the road in NC and by the looks of it he hasnt had much luck selling it and he wanted to work on his Buick.

So I said what the hell me and my friends drove up there. I had 2300 and my friend had agreed to let me borrow up to 400 if we talked him down.

Well when we got there and I saw/heard the car coming(we got lost so he drove the car to come find us) I loved it already. The Interior was perfect, and paint needed a little work, 94k original miles.

I rode in it back to his house, and then took it for a test drive. I LOVED it. I was talking to him about it(he works at a car lot...so it was hard to haggle with him). He asked me how much I was offering and I wanted to know how much he wanted before I offered...he didnt bite so I offered my 2300hundred of course..he said no. I offered 2500...nope....I offered 2700....he thought about it...and said deal. I was like :O OMG....WHAT?!?!

Name:  0220091805.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  0223091728.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  0223091728a.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  134.6 KB

5k miles later I just hit 99k In it yesterday..and im dreading the 100k mark but im looking for a truck right now too so I can stable this car for work and make the truck my daily driver. I love thirdgens..and as far as im concerned I will always have one. My next one will hopefully be a convertible ^_^
Old 09-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 GTA/93 S13/91 Si
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23

short and sweet and too the point..
dad bought a white 98 t/a...made it an 11 sec N/A drag/street car
bought a gold 98 t/a slp rear mount turbo...11 secs.
bought a blue 06 gto....h pipe and cutouts
eventually we bought my 89 GTA from some lady in chino hills for $2500...38,xxx miles
we got it wen i was like 15 and 2 monthes.....now (16..17in feb) its all mine > haha
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Car: 1989 camaro iroc-z
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: auto

well ever sense i was very young iv loved power, muscle cars and to stand out. i got a job when i was 14 to save up for a mean car and i worked out west for the summer when i was 15 i ended up saving 5,000 and i came back home east. i was looking for a car sense i got my first job and while i was in Vancouver working i noticed a very nice 89 iroc for sale back east, i feel in love with it talked to the guy all the time about it and bought it 4 days after i got back to n.s. im 16 now and have one of the nicest cars in my city
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM

Car: 89 firebird

I "bought" my first third gen in June!

and I bought it because I have taken over my dad's '89 v6 for over 2 years now and I wanted another one with more power!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 HSR afr195 xfi268
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

Bought mine in the summer too. Always wanted a 91 camaro z28, but I fell in love with the gta style trans am. Wanted a v8 to work and learn on. BEST move I have made yet!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro RS
Engine: currently swapping 5.3
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: soon to be 4:11

i was 15 and needed a car that was cheapish, easy to work on and it had to be american muscle. we drove hours away to look for camaros and after about 1 1/2 years we found my 91 rs 305--- like half a block away from my house, with ttops and every option but power mirrors, we got the car for 600 bucks, it ran great. the paint was faded really bad but we were gonna paint it so it didn 't matter. i wasn't gonna do a whole lot to the car at first, but i jus got hooked watching the car get closer and closer to beinjg finished, i sold the iroc hood i had and bought a 4 inch cowl, some 18inch iroc rep's, pillar gauges, new 2000 black and grey camaro seats, and the list goes on, i cna't wait to get pics of it completly put togther, we jus painted the car 1969 hugger orange wiht white strips----

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2248077
OR
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00000329062618

Last edited by bigal's1991; 10-13-2009 at 07:20 AM.