Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Vinyl headliner ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:57 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z
Engine: 350 TPI L98 block
Transmission: 700R4
Vinyl headliner ?

So, I was looking around in my extra parts bin and found a 10 ft roll black vinyl/leather that I was going to use to have some panels covered. Well the guy who was going to do it talked me out of it after I had already purchased the material because the curves on the 2 rear panels over the wheel wells would not fit well.

At anyrate, I'm thinking now that I would like to put this material to use and try to cover my headliner with it. Anyone ever tried anything like this with any other material ? I have T-tops and have already replaced the original headliner with one backed with ABS plastic. Any ideas ?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't be a problem at all. Just make sure that you take your time on the corners and such because the vinyl will not stretch like the cloth will. And make sure you glue it real good as the vinyl is heavier than the cloth.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:13 PM
TGO Supporter

What type of glue should I be using? Have you tried this yourself, or have you any experience doing this ?
Old 01-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Ok what kind of vinyl is it. The guy is wrong. I covered my rear cargo panels with naugasoft vinyl inserts. It was not easy and took alot of work. Check my site... The nauga soft does stretch slightly. I would definately recover my headliner in it if it ever gets yucky. Now again this is naugasoft. It does stretch. To recover the headliner it will need to stretch. Naugasoft is a low gloss vinyl that looks like leather. Quality vinyl will stretch. It does not have that hairy fuzzy backing. Its backing is more looped and even.

As far as application....I used 3m spray adhesive....this is what I have used on headliners. My headliner is holding fine. You spray it on the material and on the item to be covered. I used it to add my speaker grill cloth. I added speaker box covering to the back of my panels to sound proof. I used it to attach the naugasoft....on any stuborn areas, I had to used contact cement.

3m spray adhesive and contact cement can be bought at Walmart in the hardware department with the rest of the glues.

Check out this pic...the site is down due to high volume.
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl headliner ?-nopi-02-rear.jpg  
Old 01-14-2003, 09:35 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redraif is right, youshould be able to also do your rear panels, even cheap vinyl will stretch some but some good quality vinyl is stretch quite a bit. Not a whole lot but enough for you to do your rear panels. Just go talk to a local upholstery supplier and they should be able to help you pick out some vinyl that is a good quality and stretches also. Just make sure on the glue that you spray both sides of whatever you are doing and let it tack up before you put the 2 peices together, that helps the adhesion out alot. 3M upholstery glue works good or you might be able to get some from your upholstery supplier too.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:49 PM
TGO Supporter

Damn raif, you did exactly what I was trying to do with my rear panels. What did this naugasoft cost you by the foot ? I am unsure of the vinyl that I have. Any particular place online that might sell this? Their is a big fabric warehouse here that might have it, but I need to know what to ask for really.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Red/Blk Bird loaded 3.4L & 700R4
Transmission: Th700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I went to a local furniture upholstery shop. I don't think the car shops would have quite the selection. I could be wrong though. I looked in his book at the vinyls..Naugasoft was a nice semigloss with UV protection. The price. I think it was 4-5 feet wide and I got 2 yards (6 feet). Cost me $75.00. $36 or so a yard....They had to order it and it came on a roll. I was thinking about putting those panels in the 82 and getting some black ones and doing them with red panel inserts for RAIF. I will see if there is a name on the bolt at home... and see jow wide it is...if not, I will ask the gentleman at the store the specifics on the material. I'm pretty sure Naugasoft is the specific name. They should have a book on the materials they can get. I thried at my local fabric shop, for sewing, they did not have the selection. I'm very pleased with it and again, it does not have that cheap vinyl look or feel.

I will see what I can dig up for you!