Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

Who here put 4th gen door panels on their third gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here put 4th gen door panels on their third gen?

Sorry but the next person that tells me to do a seach is gonna get a black eye:nono:

Im using this an an alternate source. Im doing a seach but who problems have u had just by adding a 4th gen door panel. I know if fits and the problem would be attaching the window switch, since its by the console. Did anything have to be cut by the corner of the door panel which meets the dash pad when door is closed. thanx in advance.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45
Looks like I got here before the search button *****...
Check out this guy's website, he's got alot of info on the swap, as well as info on putting in a 4th gen dash.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...h/63/index.htm
Old 12-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

thanx dood, I just won an ebay auction for 2001 tan leather door panels, im kinda excited and nervous at the same time.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:45 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro IROC Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: 1994 T56
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27 (stock)
if you're not going to the fourthgen dash, a ton of stuff needs to be cut out. not worth the effort in my opinion...i sold the panels that came with my seats to zepher.

and use the search button, ***.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Who here put 4th gen door panels on their third gen?

Originally posted by vortech305

Im using this an an alternate source. Im doing a seach
start reading "***"
Old 12-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Well if you did do a search and read everything there you would have the answers to your questions. Generally speaking, lazyness will not be rewarded. And by threatening the 'search *****' before they even tell you what you know they're gonna say, you only give them more of a reason to tell you

DO A SEARCH

There is a reason we have that feature. When things have been extensively discussed in the past and newer posts push it out of sight, the search button will come to the rescue and help you find it. Find the old posts and post in them. That will bring them to the top and nobody will get mad. You did the search, you found the posts, you read them, and now you have questions. Thats fine. Making a new post for us to retype what we already typed a long time ago makes people mad.

Here are the issues with 4th gen door panels:

1. Fitment. Depending on the doorpanel, they might need to be cut to fit. Some people with the 4th gen Camaro panels have cut by the speaker area to make them fit on the door itself. Then they recover it to make it look nice. Also, the panels will not fit with the stock dash. You'll need to cut up the stock dash on the sides to make room for the panel.

2. Door functions. Like you said you'll need to relocate the window buttons. How you do it will be up to you. You can use 3rd gen or 4th gen switches. You will just have to re-wire. You will also need to relocate the door handles. There is no FAQ on relocating the handles so this will require fab work.

3. Non OEM fitment. Unlike the 3rd gen panels these 4th gen panels were not designed for our cars. How it turns out will depend on how good you are at making it fit. If you dont do a good job expect to have a bad fitment with ugly gaps or holes.

I hope this helps. In the future please do a search and post in the original threads. Everyone will be happier.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:44 PM

Car: '91 vert RS, '82 Z28
Engine: TBI 305, TPI 350
Transmission: Auto, 5 speed
Originally posted by Ward
Looks like I got here before the search button *****...
Check out this guy's website, he's got alot of info on the swap, as well as info on putting in a 4th gen dash.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...h/63/index.htm

I just checked out that website, that guy has the right idea, unfortunently he really butched those dore panels and they way he put the hood on, damn.