Auto Detailing and Appearance Share tips and tricks on how to make your Third Gen shine! Get opinions on products or how something tasteful looks on your Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird.

20" wheels - All sport, no bling...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI 350 sd
Transmission: A4
Attached Thumbnails 20" wheels - All sport, no bling...-thirdgengta-ii.jpg  
Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by DOOSKI
18" ?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:14 AM

Brodix heads, turbos, and N20?!?! seems to me that thing should be riding on drag radials
Old 10-20-2002, 12:45 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree they are very big, i would be happy with 17s, 18s top but thats just me.. others can do whatever floats their boat!
Old 10-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
When I get my Evo II kit I plan to run 19's (19x8 in the front and 19x13.5 in the rear) with 35 series rubber. But it won't be a daily driver. The roads in Hawaii are too rough for 35 series tires.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Mark A Shields
he was either drunk as hell when he wrote that, or doesn't speak english.
You know they sell a 632cid crate motor in Summit for $17,200?

That would be well over 10 liters, and I've seen one car with one, so 9 liters isn't THAT far fetched considering it's probably a bored 540.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

companies have had problems with the rims that spin after stopping because of the part breaking that holds them allowing the part to fly off almost blade like........not good.

the guy in the gta probably needs all those power adders just to move those wheels...nice, but if i were to spend the money on 20's i would at least want them to stand out... isn't that the point.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
You guys are a rough croud. No wonder I don't hang out with too many thirdgen owners anymore.
I think those 20's look GREAT on that car. That hood, the engine, the wheels, the brakes, the interior, everything about that car screams killer 3rd gen.
I think most of you have been brain washed to think that if you've got a lot of power you need a lot of tread. This is true in drag racing but this guy looks like he just wants a killer street car. I wouldn't change anything about that car except maybe a 454 small block instead of a BB. Yes, I said 454 cubes of SMALL BLOCK .
I would probably go with wider tread and mini-tube the rear for bigger tread but that's all I would change.
20's that are chrome and stand out don't look good on ANY sports car. Chrome wheels belong on SUVs.
The car is quiet in apperance with a clean style in it's own catagory (and tax bracket). If you compare them to that purple IROC with chrome 20's a while back then you're doing it all wrong. That's like comparing an 89 TTA against an 89 firebird, yeah, both have v6's but one does it RIGHT, the other is an economy engine in a performance body (I still don't understand it).
Those are the only 20's I've actually EVER liked on ANY car and I've seen my fare share of em.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by MetKiss316
You know they sell a 632cid crate motor in Summit for $17,200?

That would be well over 10 liters, and I've seen one car with one, so 9 liters isn't THAT far fetched considering it's probably a bored 540.

I know that, I was saying about his typing.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z (De-Badged-Carbon Hood)
Engine: Superram 383
Transmission: T-56 w/upgraded Viper Internals
Axle/Gears: 3.73 18x8 and 18x11 irocs
I dunno guys........I think that thing is bad ***! Every single attempt at putting anything larger than 18's on a thirdgen has looked like **** except for this thing! Those wheels totally compliment the car. I know i put in alot of work to just fit my 18's. I bet this guy went out of his way to fit those 20's. But I think it looks great....not shoddy like some other attempts out there. THe secret is that the car is properly alligned with the rims..."i.e there are no gaps in the fender wells".

Many times I see people with 18's on their 3rd gens, but they fail to lower the car enough and that's why it gives it that ugly "bugggy" look.

I give props to this guy!

Old 10-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Supreme Member

i must be mistaking.........don't you buy 20's to stand out? what on earth would be the point of having such a large "wagon" wheel if you would on a car only to cover them up with a dull finish?

say what you want everyone has their opinions and i too think that it does look decent on the car; but i completely miss the point since they don't help the performance and don't give the car that kind of "oh my ***" look at that........

it's just another thirdgen with a different type of wheel that would probably go un-noticed except from a small percentage of people that are die-hard thirdgen fans.

i like the car i just think it's in a category of it's own that would have few people actually wanting to duplicate. more power to him though, he wanted to be different and that it is.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs

Pros
Girls LOVE them...... [/B]
Hmmmm... Maybe I should get 20s...

Tim:rockon:
Old 10-21-2002, 07:06 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Mark,

He's German, or thats what he typed out the description in. They designate decimals with a comma (5.0 is 5,0) and commas with a point (5,000 will be 5.000). The thing I can't quite translate is he says somehing about it being good for 700 with nitrous, but I'm not sure if thats torque or power and what units he would be referring to. Anyone speak German and can translate?
Old 10-21-2002, 08:42 AM

Kandied91z,
now how do these wheels not improve or performace?
Old 10-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by 89firechicken
Kandied91z,
now how do these wheels not improve or performace?
Yeah, did I miss something that says lower profile tires and more tread is a bad thing for performance? Reliability yes but that thing has next to NO deflection so steering feedback alone is worth bundles in the performance department, hence the reason for going from 15's to 16's with 50 profile tires only this is going to the extream.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM
Banned

The wheel design is sweet. I would go with 17X9.5 front and 18X11 Rear with 245/335 tires. Still outta my league, but cool.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z
i must be mistaking.........don't you buy 20's to stand out? what on earth would be the point of having such a large "wagon" wheel if you would on a car only to cover them up with a dull finish?

20's that aren't chrome...:nono:
Old 10-21-2002, 01:15 PM

20's that aren't chrome...
i think if they were chrome that car just wouldn't look right. Personally i hate the idea of chromed out 20's on a thirdgen, firebirds are NOT trucks people! now my friends 95 towncar with 20" dayton spokes, it was worth it! taking turns at no faster than 8 mph, definately not what i want in my car. this guy definately deserves props for making the big a$$ wheels work so well on the car looks-wise alone, let alone i bet that thing corners like a mother reminds me of a hot wheels, man i always loved them things. also, if your gonna pimp out a muscley ride, i'd suggest a G body, like my illegal regal, lord help it now! but a sports car with ghetto wheels, no deal for me.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

come on people........you don't buy 20's to blend in. why on earth anyone would want 20's or larger in anything but chrome or high polished is beyond me; but everyone has their opinions.

think about it, why buy rims in general...there are only two options that i can see.

1. performance

2. good looks

what does a 20" rim do that has a matt finish a blends in with the car....sure the rim design is sweet and in a smaller size 16-18 it would look great....but once you get beyond 18" you make it a pain to drive anywhere so why go through such and not get the looks.

so the guy can have 20" that don't stand out and he can't even out corner a ice cream truck??? sounds like an idea to me!

Yeah, did I miss something that says lower profile tires and more tread is a bad thing for performance? Reliability yes but that thing has next to NO deflection so steering feedback alone is worth bundles in the performance department, hence the reason for going from 15's to 16's with 50 profile tires only this is going to the extream.
JPrevost; 15-16 yes, 16-20 hell no.....yes you definately missed something. how long have you been driving? the lower profile a tire is the less flex there is in the side wall; this can be good and bad for performance........the key is to find the medium, no 20" wheel that can fit on a f-body will ever be able to corner say a 17" or even better a 16" no matter what size tire you use.

now more tread? what exactly do you mean....the size of the rim meaning 20" doesn't mean you have more tread....it's the width and of course this makes a difference, but you can get wide tires in almost any rim size; just because they are 20's doesn't mean for example that they will have more tread then say a stock rear viper wheel.

89firechicken, they don't improve performance because they are heavier and more awkward than the average wheel in every way meaning it takes more power to turn them, their size makes them harder to make turns with, and the thin size of the sidewall not only makes the ride really rough; but gives in no way when cornering and any little bump you take leaves you subject to a chracked rim; which if you pay 1,000 or so a rim and half to have them fixed you won't be happy.

but hey; if you guys think that these wheels can be performance wheels............well you just need to do a little more reading up i guess.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:27 PM
Banned

I have to agree with Jeff (Kandied) on this...

All 20's are good for is looking like the neighborhood crack man. Otherwise when you take performance into consideration they are worthless.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:36 PM

Car: '99 HO Z28 / '03 Trailblazer
The only problem I see with 20's on a thirdgen is the guy probably spent more on those wheels than the WHOLE CAR.

Why not just get a more 'pimpin' type ride for those dubs????
Old 10-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: too many ...
I think lightweight 3 piece 18's with 40 series tires or 19's with 35 series tires could be considered performance related. Look at all the new sportscars comming out. Alot of them come with 18's stock (Nissan 350z). Some even come with 19's (Audi RS 6). IMO 20's is going into the looks category. Beide most 20's are chrome and thats definately not performance oriented. hahahah. 19's are kind of pushing it but can still be performance related. I think on a stock bodied 3rd gen, the 18's are the biggest that look good. On an Evo II I can see 19's because it looks like an exotic. But I've never been a fan of 20's on a 3rd gen ... saw it one time IRL and went 'ewww'.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

30 series tires on a car is a bad idea, forget about taking fast corners.....

The road marks on those must be horrible....
Old 10-21-2002, 06:42 PM

JPrevost; 15-16 yes, 16-20 hell no.....yes you definately missed something. how long have you been driving? the lower profile a tire is the less flex there is in the side wall; this can be good and bad for performance........the key is to find the medium, no 20" wheel that can fit on a f-body will ever be able to corner say a 17" or even better a 16" no matter what size tire you use.

89firechicken, they don't improve performance because they are heavier and more awkward than the average wheel in every way meaning it takes more power to turn them, their size makes them harder to make turns with, and the thin size of the sidewall not only makes the ride really rough; but gives in no way when cornering and any little bump you take leaves you subject to a chracked rim; which if you pay 1,000 or so a rim and half to have them fixed you won't be happy.

but hey; if you guys think that these wheels can be performance wheels............well you just need to do a little more reading up i guess.
Well I've been driving for 4 years now but why the hell are you asking me how long I've been driving? Does this mean that all the young NASCAR drivers suck? What's your point? How is having low profile tires bad for performance.
You guys are so biased it isn't even funny anymore. In 82 do you know how many people said 18's looked like CRAP on an f-body, now just because some guy puts 20's on and he does a good job with it you think it's fugly and out of place. Why do covettes use 19's if a 16 would be better for "performance"?
Then you talk about power for those wheels, take another look under his hood and get back to me on that. As far as having more tire tread in contact with the ground the bigger the better. If you have a tire that's only 25" around and the same width it will NOT have the same contact patch of tread as a tire that is larger in diameter!!! The sidewall height can never be too low if it's a car that's going to kick serious **** on a nice track. Daily driving yes, I agree, 20's are stupid but that's just an opinion. If he can afford to do it then more power too him (not that he needs more power).
About "reading up", "no 20" wheel that can fit on a f-body will ever be able to corner say a 17" or even better a 16" no matter the size tire you use."~Kandy , can you explain this because only drag and rally racing seem to comply with your thinking. GT, Lap1 stuff, all autocrossing on pavement, PRO racing series, Le Mans, Trans-am, etc. all want to have the least amount ot tire height as possible. What limits them is usually rules and/or reliability. What you said about a bent rim is 100% correct but to say 20's can't be a performance rim on an f-body is like saying a 1972 240z can't be "performance" with a small block chevy under the hood. It's just an extream with reliability the only con (money is obviously not an issue with this guy).
Old 10-21-2002, 08:53 PM

i think too many people worry about being on a band wagon. just because 20's are not "cool" on a third gen doesnt mean they will never look good you know 20's were never my thing till i saw that car then the light bulb went on trying to figure out how to make it look better than it allredy does. conclusion: open your friggin mind and get off the band wagon
Old 10-21-2002, 11:24 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 2k3 Cadillac CTS
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3:43
hey guys its been a while since ive posted but i have to agree 20's look a little too big on thirdgens, ive got 22's on my blazer. Those rims that keep spinning are the sprewell rims, and you can have those spinners added to almost any 20 inch or bigger rim for a pretty penny.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:19 AM
Supreme Member

if you have been driving for a few years you should have some concept of what a sidewall can do to performance; those tires on the 20" rim pictured are not going to perform as well as the exact same specs on an 18" or smaller; end of point........it wasn't to single you out so calm down a little.

i don't know why you think people are biased......... why put something on a car that hurts performance if it doesn't do it's intended purpose. 2 out of 10 average people would not notice those over the exact same set in polished or chrome....attention is the whole point of 20" rims is it not? they are nice, but not that nice to put up with all the bad points.....there will always be the few though much like this guy.

what corvette uses 19" rim from the factory?.... chevy's highest performer the z06 comes standard with 17 front 18 back.... what model are you talking about?

because larger rims are the "thing" now more and more companies are trying to put larger rims on cars to appeal to buyers while keeping costs down and still being road practical...unless you do a special order of some sort. name one performance car that comes with something larger than 18? not even lamborghini goes larger than 18 or smaller than a 45 series sidewall. i bet you the reason isn't because they can't.....

the corvette would still probably come with zr-1 17's if the designers felt it looked right...the newer body style can fit a larger wheel and look good...which is the main reason people buy vettes (to look good), just like they buy 20's.

now no one said that the car was "fugly"....most are just trying to understand why you would do something to hurt your performance if your not out to be noticed......

power........i don't care how much power you have, 20" rims are heavy; ......the heavier the wheel the more power to turn. that was my point.

i was agreeing that the more tread the better contact, this is obvious.......but having a 20" rim won't give you more contact tread which was why i was asking you what you were talking about. 20" rims put so much more stress on all parts of your car that why anyone performance oriented would consider them is beyond me.

sidewalls can be to low, if they don't have any give then they can lead to other problems.......otherwise why wouldn't all tires on race tracks be as thin as possible? there are many reasons to this....arguably, the less flex the tighter the steer...but rougher the ride; the main reason why you don't see alot of low profile tires on family sedans....but there is such thing as too thin. exotic sports cars don't come with say a 10 series sidewall do they.....and i don't think they plan on going through any pothole infested streets either.....they come with what the factory thinks is the most performance oriented while still giving the customer the look they want to achieve and keeping them safe.

here again, 20's are for looks........so why not get a 20" rim that will get them? i guess i just miss the point. no real look from the rim and no performance gain so why spend all the money?

those types of racing your implying don't use exesively thin sidewalls.......there are many factors that come into play and i don't want to debate tire sidewall size in comparison to rim size and the overall effect......my only point from the beginning is the larger the rim...meaning past 18 you will loose performance....since larger rims are typically to get noticed, i questioned why someone would go through all the trouble for "those" rims........not saying they are ugly or that they don't look nice.

you say rules/liability limit tire wall size...........well if the tire isn't safe it obviously can't out handle whatever their "rule" is; so why would you want smaller sidewall again??

i don't understand what you mean by reliability??? do you mean he can ruin his rim; or do you mean that taking a hard turn can cause blowouts.........which it can. how can this be better performance? you have no performance argument for a 20" rim.

20's can't be a performance rim on an f-body or any other car on this earth. especially when compared to an equally size tire mounted on the exact same rim in an 18" or any other rim smaller than a 20".

now something like this is the reason people buy 20's.....
Attached Thumbnails 20" wheels - All sport, no bling...-sprewell2_b-20s.jpg  

Last edited by Kandied91z; 10-22-2002 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

most are just trying to understand why you would do something to hurt your performance if your not out to be noticed......
That's what i'm still trying to figure out......
Old 10-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60 automatic
BLING BLING

Last edited by 91Zman; 10-22-2002 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

what would that be like 40's in the rear and 30's up front........man that thing has got to handle like it's on a rail! :hail:
Old 10-22-2002, 09:15 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Was 305 LO3 TBI, now carbed 355
Transmission: Auto
hahahahhahahahaha :sillylol: :sillylol: :sillylol: :sillylol: :sillylol:
Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Super-bling

Old 10-22-2002, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Oh Trying to show me up huh??

BLING BLING ***** F'R

Last edited by 91Zman; 10-22-2002 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:54 PM

Just look at that sidewall . Must handle like a dream
Old 10-22-2002, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by JPrevost
Just look at that sidewall . Must handle like a dream
Hey..it's got 20"......sidewall that is
Old 10-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
I saw a documentary on TLC about those monster dump trucks. Each tire weighs something like 5 tons or something like that. The ride is pretty soft since the tires are so heavy that they turn boulders into dust.

I like 20s on big cars like trucks, Diablos, and the old Impalas. I have friend that put 20s on his car just so he could say he rides on dubs. I would be worried that that rubberband thin tire would pop at any moment.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:21 AM

***First off, those wheels are forged 2 piece with titanium fasteners, weighing only 28 lbs apiece. Comparably, a cast (only way they are made) 17*9" ZR-1 style Camaro SS wheel weighs about the same. Now who said anything about being heavy?

***Whoever brought up "Where's the chrome" and "Why aren't they polished" is obviously missing the point: Functionality and performance while still looking good. Chrome = HEAVY, while I dare you to remove the protective finish off those wheels that prevents them from becoming pitted.

***The trend in automobiles is larger diameter wheels: Jaguar's XK8, BMW's M3, and Porsche's 911 Turbo are all 3 available with 19" wheels (all high performance). Aside from their light weight, larger wheels also facillitate larger brakes. 20" wheels are the next step in performance/style evoloution.

***Bent rims? We're talking forged, baby!!! Not the cheap cast crap your thugged out cousin put on his Grand Am.

***Harsh ride? Cry me a frickin' river, you geezers. If you can't handle the ride, then try and save some money and buy a car that is comfortable to begin with (An F-body with worn-out shocks/springs doesn't count as a comfortable ride, it counts as ghetto).

***Why don't racing cars use 20" wheels? Probably because they use a ultra-sticky racing SLICK which wears fast as opposed to our much harder street tires. A 20" SLICK wouldn't offer enough tread at the rate of wear racing tires undergo.

In short, accept the fact that his setup is executed well in terms of functionallity and visual impact. Even Mr. Iroc Z agrees to that end (and I respect his opinion when it comes to wheel/tires/stance). At least I opened up the minds of a few of you to think "outside the box", and to be original when customizing your rides.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:45 AM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LB9 TPI with L98 cam (Manual car)
Transmission: T5 5Speed/ 9bolt Borg-Warner 3.45 gears with posi
Originally posted by FLYNLOW92rs
Here is an 80's camaro with 20's..........

19's are the biggest i would go.....

Does this remind anyone else of them pickups that are able to run on railroad tracks?
Old 10-23-2002, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

It's just a trend...hopefully it'll run out its' course

Functional or not they look like chit on our cars. and very few cars pull it off well,classics mostly and maybe larger luxury sedans.Really they belong on trucks IMO,but with 20"+ wheels are basically for the "hey,look at me" effect.Why people think they're cool I'll never know. They're just not for me....they just look rediculous.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

***The trend in automobiles is larger diameter wheels: Jaguar's XK8, BMW's M3, and Porsche's 911 Turbo are all 3 available with 19" wheels (all high performance). Aside from their light weight, larger wheels also facillitate larger brakes. 20" wheels are the next step in performance/style evoloution.
first of all where are you getting your info.........

XK8 comes with 17" alloys...........XKR comes with 18" what model comes with 19 stock?

the BMW M5..........hmm Zr 18's are stock here also. plus its classified as a sedan.......not performance sports car.

The RUF version of the 911 turbo is the only car to come with 19" that you described and it's not the porsche manufactured 911 turbo.......which also qualifies for a special order; if you can special order than it doesn't count.

if your going to try and pick apart someone who is simply stating facts get yours right first.

your bringing up weights and materials like they are statistics.......it's a proven fact already and even within this post that a performance car won't use 20's. unless it's meant to look good....and then it will be a special order and never a stock option.

20" wheels are not the next step in performance/style.......they never will be; it's a select market for very few and always will be because of the cost, performance, etc.

***Bent rims? We're talking forged, baby!!! Not the cheap cast crap your thugged out cousin put on his Grand Am.

do you even know what forged means..........? you can still bend a rim or even crack them; try fixing a cracked rim...it costs as much if not more than buying a new rim.

cheap cast crap...........hmmm, i have them on my car are you saying mine are ghetto.....true they are heavier than a magnesium wheel but they aren't for racing, they are far from cheap and work alot better than your 20's ever will even though they are heavier than a racing 16.

***Harsh ride? Cry me a frickin' river, you geezers. If you can't handle the ride, then try and save some money and buy a car that is comfortable to begin with (An F-body with worn-out shocks/springs doesn't count as a comfortable ride, it counts as ghetto).
you must be 16....have you ever ridden in a car with 20" rims??? i don't care how nice the suspension is the ride is alot harsher than the smaller rims........is this a deterant in selling. no, if you want them you'll get them anyway right?

***Why don't racing cars use 20" wheels? Probably because they use a ultra-sticky racing SLICK which wears fast as opposed to our much harder street tires. A 20" SLICK wouldn't offer enough tread at the rate of wear racing tires undergo.
how do you mean, if you can fit a 20 you can have the same tirewall size and tread contact area as any other rim....for the most part, ultra-sticky racing slick......where you get your info.

In short, accept the fact that his setup is executed well in terms of functionallity and visual impact. Even Mr. Iroc Z agrees to that end (and I respect his opinion when it comes to wheel/tires/stance). At least I opened up the minds of a few of you to think "outside the box", and to be original when customizing your rides.
his car looks nice yes, he fit his 18" beautifully.........he agrees that they look nice just like i have; but never once did he say anything about outperforming something like even his 18" rims.........you have done nothing to open anyone's minds except to mis-quote info.

20" rims can be a sharp appearance option.........there is no reason why anyone couldn't or shouldn't do it. just understand that you sacrifice alot of things in order to accomplish such; if your going to do so you better make it worth while........

people on here are so touchy...
:lala:

Last edited by Kandied91z; 10-23-2002 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:04 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65
If I rem reading right, the 2003 or 2004 viper is to come out on 19's, or so the proto type is.

That is one HUGE earth mover, I think I could put my house and garage in the back of that beast!!
Old 10-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Prototypes CAN'T be used to define the rim size for performence...

I saw a prototype Lincoln with 26" rims.........yaa....

Anyway......I'm gonna go throw some 20" rims on my mom's Ford Escort then enter a AutoCross event..........Wish me luck.....
Old 10-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Car: 84 Z28
20" Wheels:nono:

549 cubic inch big block with Nitrous and Twin Turbos:hail: :hail: :rockon:
Old 10-23-2002, 08:40 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 & 2k3 Cadillac CTS
Engine: LB9
Axle/Gears: 3:43
yeah these are big but i want to go 24"
Attached Thumbnails 20" wheels - All sport, no bling...-blazin_0002.jpg  
Old 10-24-2002, 12:04 AM

Car: 1985 Camaro
Engine: ......
Transmission: ......
Hey guyz,if ya want to see your carz with tha fatty rimz just get yourself the computor program where you can see what all the different rim companies rims would look like on a camaro.You can slam the car,change the color,tint the windows and fit up to 22s on there!Gee,what is that program called again???Im pretty sure you can get it of the net,anyone know where???
Old 10-24-2002, 12:07 AM

first of all where are you getting your info.........

XK8 comes with 17" alloys...........XKR comes with 18" what model comes with 19 stock?

the BMW M5..........hmm Zr 18's are stock here also. plus its classified as a sedan (I was talking about the M3 - read my post again).......not performance sports car.

The RUF version of the 911 turbo is the only car to come with 19" that you described and it's not the porsche manufactured 911 turbo.......which also qualifies for a special order; if you can special order than it doesn't count.

if your going to try and pick apart someone who is simply stating facts get yours right first.
Maybe YOU should get YOUR facts straight, and MAYBE you wouldn't sound like such a blathering idiot. I SAID all 3 were available (I know it must be hard for you to understand english) with 19" wheels.

Follow this link for the BMW M3 - Notice the optional 19" wheels....
http://www.bmwusa.com/virtual/overview/build.html

The Jaguar:
I'm not sure about the 19" wheels, but I know the Silverstone Edition (a Jaguar factory option) comes with 20" wheels - and high-performance at that:
http://supercars.ifn.cx/xkr_silverstone/index.shtml

The Porsche:
You are correct about Ruff (you caught my 1 mistake) I thought that the Porsche GT2s wheels we're 19", but I remember now that they're just magnesium 18"s - Sorry.

Lets see...street legal racing cars with 19" wheels?:
Saleen S7
Callaway C12
Ferrari Enzo (aka F60)
Aston Marton V12 Vanquish

There are possibly more, but that makes 5 production cars available with 19" wheels and one with 20s

your bringing up weights and materials like they are statistics....(dont know what the hell tour talking about - Kyle)...it's a proven fact already and even within this post that a performance car won't use 20's. unless it's meant to look good....and then it will be a special order and never a stock option.

20" wheels are not the next step in performance/style.......they never will be; it's a select market for very few and always will be because of the cost, performance, etc.
I take great comfort knowing that the automotive industry would NEVER listen to narrow-minded people like you (they listen to people that are educated - something you fail to display) - everything would be very BORING.

do you even know what forged means..........?:
Forged means stronger and more bend/crack resistant.

you can still bend a rim or even crack them; try fixing a cracked rim...it costs as much if not more than buying a new rim.
No way! Still bend them it? *rollseyes* <---Sarcasm
I implied stronger, not invincible
Maybe wheel repair cost as much as a new wheel for you (It is common for shops to do all 4 wheels for around $600, or $150 apiece)

cheap cast crap...........hmmm, i have them on my car are you saying mine are ghetto.....true they are heavier than a magnesium wheel but they aren't for racing, they are far from cheap and work alot better than your 20's ever will even though they are heavier than a racing 16.
Ok, apparently you are not familliar with proper english grammar and syntax, indicated by your complete lack of punctuation and your inability to decipher the intended meaning of what I said. I was referring to the cast wheels that ARE cheap (and ghetto from CHEAP chrome). I do not have 20" wheels on my ride - I have 17*9 right now, but I would bet on a street performance 20" setup vs a 16" setup anyday.

you must be 16....have you ever ridden in a car with 20" rims??? i don't care how nice the suspension is the ride is alot harsher than the smaller rims........is this a deterant in selling. no, if you want them you'll get them anyway right?
I am actually 21. You assuming that I am 16 due to my interest in 20s is as rediculous as me assuming that you're 12 due to your inability to construct a reasonable argument (or even use the english language properly, for that matter)

how do you mean, if you can fit a 20 you can have the same tirewall size and tread contact area as any other rim....for the most part, ultra-sticky racing slick......where you get your info.
I was referring to the increased amount of thickness to the tire, not the width. With a 30 series profile, you can only have a certain thickness on the tread/slick - not enough to last a race. When using a smaller, 18" wheel, the tire profile is higher, allowing for more tire thickness. Got it?

his car looks nice yes, he fit his 18" beautifully.........he agrees that they look nice just like i have; but never once did he say anything about outperforming something like even his 18" rims.........you have done nothing to open anyone's minds except to mis-quote info..
I did not say they outperformed an 18" wheel either, just that they were an example of sporty 20" wheels. On a side note, YOU are the one who has done nothing but misquote and put words in my mouth. Maybe if you weren't such a dumb ba$tard you would carefully read what someone has to say before you try to flame.

people on here are so touchy...
:lala:
Speak for yourself...Dumb ba$tard...

Last edited by MelloYello; 10-24-2002 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:58 AM

Location: memphis, home of the swampy rivers and big mosquitoes
DAMN!!!! all of you guys are funny as hell!!!

1.) either you like it or you don't
2.) wether or not you like it, the wheels will get bigger
3.) i'm really trippin' off of the quick a$$ ghetto and crack man references
4.) just overlook what everybody else has to say
5.) i'm willing to bet that the 20" riding t/a will outperform whatever t/a, camaro, z28, r/s, formula, or any f-body that i missed without hesitation......unless somebody on the board has a 9sec car i don't know about.

it's funny that some people can give praise to one member 'cuz he owns nine f-bodies but criticize somebody that puts bigger rims on their car. everyone here is into exhibitionism, if you weren't you wouldn't be here on this board. we all want everybody to look at our cars or trucks, which is why we modify them, take them to the track, hang out at sonics on friday, etc. i could care less if anyone likes it or not, but i love twenties, two of my three cars have twenties and regardless of ignorant stereotypes, my cornrow braids and twenty inch wheels don't make me " a stupid azz, ghetto ballin', pimp slappin', crack dealer, with a grand am." i work a job just like each of you, and whereas some of you want to drive faster, i'm only concerened about my car looking as good as i think it can. believe you me, i find a number of cars on this site hideous, but i keep my opinion to myself.

nothin' but love for all of y'all though.....maybe we should all meet up one day and dance around in a circle....:lala: :lala: :lala:

YEAH RIGHT........LOL!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 20&quot; wheels - All sport, no bling...-20inrims.jpg  
Old 10-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

1. Yokohama has already produced a 26" wheel, but it hasn't been released yet.

2. I know plenty of upper class white people that have 20" rims
Old 10-24-2002, 01:21 PM
TGO Supporter

I belive dayton and goodyear have come out with 36" gold spokes.

If I have time after work, I will go over to the dodge dealership and see if they still have that viper, and see what size rims it has. I do belive it will come on them.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:22 PM
TGO Supporter

oops, them=19" rims like my post a few lines up stated

Quick Reply: 20" wheels - All sport, no bling...